Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:09 pm

Reply to topic  [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Despicable Me 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 10 ]
C 5%  5%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 20

Despicable Me 
loyalfromlondon

Post Despicable Me
Despicable Me

Quote:
Despicable Me is a 2010 American computer-animated 3D comedy film from Universal Pictures and Illumination Entertainment that was released on July 9, 2010 in the United States. The film stars Steve Carell, Jason Segel, Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Will Arnett, Kristen Wiig, and Miranda Cosgrove. It is the first CGI feature produced by Universal, in association with its Illumination Entertainment division. It was entirely animated in the French studio Mac Guff in Paris, France.

The story is of a supervillain named Gru who plans to use three orphan girls as pawns for a grand scheme, only to find that their innocent love is profoundly changing him.

The film earned positive reviews from critics, and grossed more than $500 million worldwide, against a budget of $69 million.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:19 am
Forum General

Post Re: Despicable Me
Solid A.

Very funny and entertaining though more kid-friendly than most flicks.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:43 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

The first feature from Illumination Entertainment is not perfect, but it is charming and entertaining.

It is clear this film aims to please and it does so with great verve. At times it is almost exhausting in its cheerful bid to generate positive word-of-mouth. -inhales- Nonstop 3-D action! Humor aimed at adults and children! Heartstring-abusing sentiment, including orphans who dream of a loving and stable home! Roller coasters! Kittens! Original hip hop/pop songs from the Neptunes' Pharrell Williams! -exhales-

There is never a dull moment and I indeed smiled throughout, but I do not feel the various elements, however endearing in and of themselves, fuse into a masterful overall film. I doubt this Steve Carell vehicle will become a beloved modern classic, à la Ratatouille or How to Train Your Dragon, but it is fine summer entertainment.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:18 am
College Boy Z

This is hilarious.

Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:41 pm
Sbil

Very cute, and full of zip and warmth. It doesn't make as much of an emotional impact as Toy Story 3 did (but what does?). Steve Carell does excellent voice work as Gru, and the minions steal the show. B+

Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:48 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Despicable Me is a good first entry for Illumination Entertainment and while it may not rank up with this year's How to Train Your Dragon or Toy Story 3, it is still a good fun film. Gru is a very fun and easy villain to watch on screen and his humor is usually spot on thanks to the great voice work of Steve Carell. His new arch nemesis Vector, however, is slightly underused and a bit bland at times even with Jason Segel doing a fine enough job with the voice work. The kids are great but the minions are what steal the show and offer a lot of comic relief. The plot doesn't really jump out and challenge other animated films but it stays put and amuses the entire time. The film gets a bit predictable towards the end but its still great fun and a good entry for what is only an average summer. Also, I do have to give kudos to them for the wonderful smart joke of the Bank of Hell being formerly known as Lehman Brothers. **1/2

Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Absolutely beautiful animation - - the textures are state of the art!

Unfortunately, that's the only good thing I can say about Despicable Me which is sadly just another homogenized Hollywood product film. The story is typical of so many animated movies of the past five years: lazy and unoriginal. The trite humor is telegraphed far ahead so you will know when you are supposed to laugh and then the joke is repeated just in case you missed it. The false sentimentality is obviously manufactured to try to manipulate the audience into the emotions Pixar creates (through authentic storytelling), but fails miserably. Even though it only had a 95 minute running time, it felt like three hours of boredom.

1 out of 5.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:11 pm
ef star star kay

just curious, bradley

how does your yearly top 10 list look like now?

Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:42 pm
Extraordinary

JURiNG wrote:
just curious, bradley

how does your yearly top 10 list look like now?

I don't want to further derail this thread, so I've given your question some thought and added my current list to the Top 10 of 2010 thread in Cinemania.

Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:55 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

This movie was so adorable. I consistently had a smile on my face throughout. The story isn't the most original, but it works - and the film is also pretty hilarious. I absolutely loved the minions and Agnes. A summer gem. A-

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:49 am
Profile YIM
Superman: The Movie

It's cute. It's has enough laughs and Gru and the girls are enough to make the movie work, especially at the end.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:33 am
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

I felt like everything was 'not that ...', not that good, to begin with. Actually, not so memorable, too.

C+

Fri Sep 24, 2010 9:45 pm
Wallflower

Really cute and funny!

8/10 (B+)

Sun Dec 19, 2010 9:27 pm

Boring or meandering would be the words. The seemingly random barely connected series of silly events are not fused with enough humor or cuteness (surely, the fluffy line is great, but that doesn't sustain a movie,) to make it worth attempting to follow. Not saying a chuckle never escaped my lips, but each scene followed a hit and miss situation that was frustrating to be involved in. Oh and also, it's been maybe 4 months and I remember only flashes.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:01 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
I laughed several times, which makes this film superior to the person Michael A.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:22 am
Profile WWW
Ocarina of Time

C+

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:26 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Michael A wrote:
Oh and also, it's been maybe 4 months and I remember only flashes.

Well that's not really surprising since you watched it 4 MONTHS AGO. No one is going to remember large chunks of a film if they haven't watched a film in that long of a time.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:15 pm
Profile WWW
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
jmovies wrote:
Well that's not really surprising since you watched it 4 MONTHS AGO. No one is going to remember large chunks of a film if they haven't watched a film in that long of a time.

Not everybody's memory is that miserable.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:51 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I liked when they killed the old man fishing off of a guardrail.

It was better than I expected.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:31 pm
Profile WWW

jmovies wrote:
Michael A wrote:
Oh and also, it's been maybe 4 months and I remember only flashes.

I distinctly remember the vast majority of 2001: A Space Oddysey even though it is indescribably more dense than this, and I've only seen it once around a year and a half ago. A film that is worth remembering I can easily recall most of it for at least a year on one view. However, this held very little to remember.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:41 am
ef star star kay

Have I written about this film? Well..

Few laughs here and there, but mostly BORING.

Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:42 pm
Extraordinary

Glad to see that KJ is coming to it's senses on Despicable Me over the last few posts - - the early reviews were wack...

BK wrote:
Solid A.
Gunslinger wrote:
...a masterful overall film.
zingy wrote:
This is hilarious.
Libs wrote:
...full of zip

Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:21 am
Wallflower

Aside from Ratatouille and Toy Story 3 this is certainly more enjoyable than Pixar's recent offerings (I'm looking at you Wall-e and Up ;) ).

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:17 pm
Ocarina of Time

WALL-E is the king of kings
UP is outstanding

1. Super Mario Bros Movie
2. Rebel Moon
3. Mission Impossible Dead Reckoning Part 1
4. Oppenheimer
5. The Flash
6. Elemental
7. Aquaman 2
8. Dune Part 2
9. Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny
10. Blue Beetle

Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:44 pm

Mike wrote:
Aside from Ratatouille and Toy Story 3 this is certainly more enjoyable than Pixar's recent offerings (I'm looking at you Wall-e and Up ;) ).

Yikes, um I don't think I could disagree more. Wall-e was not meant for mere enjoyment, but I still found it exponentially more fun than DM. And Up, outside of the few contemplative scenes, was a large ball of ebullience. I hate to be a Pixar fanboy, but even Car's (their whiff) was about 3.2 times as fun as this chaotic, silly, mess of a movie.

Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:26 am
Reply to topic   [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next