Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Robin Hood (2010) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 5 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 12 ]
C 13%  13%  [ 3 ]
D 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 24

Robin Hood (2010) 
You must have big rats

Post Robin Hood (2010)
Robin Hood

Quote:
Robin Hood is a 2010 British/American adventure film based on the Robin Hood legend, directed by Ridley Scott and starring Russell Crowe. It was released in the United Kingdom on 12 May 2010, after premiering at the 2010 Cannes Film Festival and was released in the United States on 14 May 2010.

Thu May 13, 2010 6:04 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Robin Hood (2010)
It's a good movie, but the character really could have been called any other name and it wouldn't have changed almost anything. This is "Robin Hood Begins".

It lacks an emotional impact and a solid villain, but has a strong cast and well-done battle scenes to make up for that.

Thu May 13, 2010 6:06 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Beautifully shot, well acted, great choreographed fight scenes, especially the final battle (also awesome sound design), yet something was amiss, like Lecter mentiones, it's not as involving on an emotional level, it lacks those 2-3 amazing scenes that stay in your mind. A good deal of the soundtrack could have been better, too (where was Hans Zimmer dammit?). 8/10

Fri May 14, 2010 7:27 pm
College Boy Z

It drags a little in the middle, but the epic last 45 minutes or so totally makes up for that. Really solid.

Sat May 15, 2010 2:39 am
Pure Phase

The trailer promises moviegoers will discover "the hero behind the outlaw" and so it is. This prequel to traditional Robin Hood lore introduces us to Robin Longstride (Russell Crowe), a courageous archer serving Richard I during the Third Crusade. After Richard's death, Robin returns to a troubled England. A French invasion looms and there is growing tension between the late Richard's cruel and impulsive brother, King John, and the English people.

As directed by the venerable Ridley Scott, Robin Hood is a true epic. The plot is elaborate (it aims to chart Robin's transformation from soldier to iconic Sherwood Forest outlaw and dramatize the events which led to the signing of the Magna Carta) and populated with colorful characters. There are scenes where the film's dual purposes clash rather than coalesce, but, in general, it is an exciting, moving, and well-crafted action-drama. The ensemble cast is superb. Crowe delivers a rousing performance and is, of course, a fierce physical presence in the action sequences. Cate Blanchett is enchanting and understated as Marian, here a capable, strong-willed widow rather than a damsel in distress. Best, though, are Oscar Isaac and Léa Seydoux as King John and his French mistress (and future queen consort) Isabella of Angoulême. Isaac in particular electrifies, portraying John as an impetuous, vain, violent man-child, a figure to both fear and pity.

This film ends just as the Robin Hood legend (hiding in Sherwood Forest, from the rich/to the poor, the first confrontation between Robin and the nefarious sheriff of Nottingham) begins. I definitely hope further Crowe-as-Robin-Hood adventures are on the horizon.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 15, 2010 7:30 am
Extraordinary

ROBIN HOOD

I somewhat enjoyed this film. My attention was held all the way till we go to Nottingham being sacked by Godfrey and after. That last battle felt all over the place. It was lacking something. It wasn't very interesting. Marian riding in with kids on ponies was eye rolling. The french choosing that location to land was stupid.

I enjoyed the opening with Richard and then the escape and ambush parts. There wasn't enough action in the movie. I tought Crowe was fine as Robin Hood and his team was fine. King John was good and his mother too. I did like the shot of the cavalry riding toward the landing zone with the King in front leading the way.

Overall, I thought it was okay but it wasn't the Robin Hood I was wanting to see. Yes, I know the trailer tells us it's the story of Robin before Robin Hood, but this film didn't leave me that excited for what I assume would be the film they are leading to. Finally, I did enjoy the end credit sequence. That was well done.

Grade - B

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat May 15, 2010 10:58 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Wasnt too bad but does Mark Strong have to have the monopoly on bad guy roles and Kevin Durand always as the big man

Sat May 15, 2010 9:12 pm
Sbil

Not extremely memorable but overall well-made and expertly filmed by Ridley Scott. Russell Crowe and Cate Blanchett both do good work here, which shouldn't be much of a surprise. B

Sat May 15, 2010 10:57 pm
The Kramer

I was with it for a little while. About halfway through I lost interest and not even the big battle won me back. Im not a big fan of good guys massacre the bad guys type of battles. I'll give it a C+.

One thing that really bugged me on a personal level was Kevin Durand playing a good guy. After watching him on Lost there was no way I was accepting that.

Sat May 15, 2010 11:34 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

B+

Sat May 15, 2010 11:40 pm
You must have big rats

BTW, did you notice how Mark Strong always has some sort of a small facial deformation when he plays bad guys?

- The arrow scar in Robin Hood

- The teeth in Sherlock Holmes

- The forehead scar in Kick Ass

What's up with that?

Sun May 16, 2010 8:33 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Flava'd vs The World wrote:
I was with it for a little while. About halfway through I lost interest and not even the big battle won me back. Im not a big fan of good guys massacre the bad guys type of battles. I'll give it a C+.

One thing that really bugged me on a personal level was Kevin Durand playing a good guy. After watching him on Lost there was no way I was accepting that.

Heh, Lost and about every other movie he has been in.

Sun May 16, 2010 8:34 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

I've just seen it. I liked it. I'll post my grade and more thoughts tomorrow.

Sun May 16, 2010 7:56 pm
Profile WWW

From the drawn out battle sequences to the overtly serious tone to the brief and meager attempts at providing a message, it is nearly a carbon copy of the gladiator, albeit a less dull and unbearable version. Most of the characters and events of the famous tale get little more than a mention, and Scott's unquenchable desire for spectacle leave everything interesting (the struggles of kingship, the allusions to the magna carta, Robin and Marion's romance) woefully underdevoloped. The film is not difficult to watch as Gladiator was, and a handful of scenes are rather engrossing. At least we're spared those notorious scenes of hands wandering through fields of wheat this time.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue May 18, 2010 1:41 am
The Wall

7/10 -> B-

Overall I liked the movie, but as some of you already said it lacks something. On the surface it seems to have everything, but still something is missing. A bit more developed characters maybe (certainly none of the characters are remotely close to their iconic roots), better or visually more stunning action... I'm not sure.

As a setup it works great and it also gives a better background story of Robin than any other attempt I've seen. It might not be what's usually understood as the story of Robin Hood, but I didn't mind this version one tiny bit.

It was actually better than I thought it would be.

Tue May 18, 2010 5:33 pm
Profile WWW
Romosexual!

It sucked! :disgust: can't believe they spent 200m on this.

Tue May 18, 2010 6:16 pm
Grill

Very Very Average film. Crowe and Blanchett were both very bland and did nothing special with the roles. The actor who played King John (don't even care to look him up) was awful. He was so annoying and bad. Strong as Godfrey was good. He always plays a good bad guy role. The best parts of this movie were any scenes with Kevin Durand (Keamy!!!) as Little John and Mark Addy as Friar Tuck. They were both so hilarious.

The story overall was also good but nothing special.

5.5/10

Fri May 21, 2010 12:36 pm
Pure Phase

I wish I had voted B now. Upon further reflection, my enthusiasm for this film has flagged. I still admire it a great deal, though.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat May 22, 2010 12:42 am
loyalfromlondon

...you can change your vote...

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat May 22, 2010 2:03 am
The Wall

trixster wrote:

I can't. I remember it was possible before, but now it's not...

Sat May 22, 2010 3:29 am
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

be.redy wrote:
trixster wrote:

I can't. I remember it was possible before, but now it's not...

This.

Sat May 22, 2010 8:30 am
loyalfromlondon

Blame Lecter then. The poll has the "allow re-voting" box checked, so I don't know what's wrong with it.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat May 22, 2010 4:09 pm
loyalfromlondon

And I can change my vote no problem, so I don't know what you guys are complaining about.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sat May 22, 2010 4:10 pm
You must have big rats

Works for me too.

Sat May 22, 2010 7:37 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

But not that votes really matter.