Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Yip Man 2 [Ip Man 2] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Yip Man 2 [Ip Man 2] 
loyalfromlondon

Post Yip Man 2 [Ip Man 2]
Ip Man 2

Quote:
Ip Man 2 (traditional Chinese: 葉問2:宗師傳奇; simplified Chinese: 叶问2:宗师传奇; ) is a 2010 semi-biographical martial arts film, and a sequel to the 2008 film Ip Man. It is also the second film, following its predecessor, to be based on the life of Ip Man, a grandmaster of Wing Chun martial arts. The film was directed by Wilson Yip, and stars Donnie Yen, who reprises the leading role. Continuing after the events of Ip Man, the sequel centers on Ip's movements in Hong Kong, which is under British colonial rule. He attempts to propagate his discipline of Wing Chun, but faces rivalry from other practitioners, including the local master of Hung Ga martial arts.

Producer Raymond Wong first announced a sequel prior to Ip Man's theatrical release in December 2008. The film was intended to focus on the relationship between Ip Man and Bruce Lee, but the filmmakers were unable to finalize production rights with Lee's descendants and decided to briefly portray Lee as a child. Yip has stated interest in making a third film that explores the relationship between Ip and Lee, despite Donnie Yen's disinterest. Principal photography for Ip Man 2 began in August 2009 and concluded in November; filming took place inside a studio located in Shanghai. Yip aimed to create a more dramatic martial arts film in terms of story and characterization, while Wong's son, screenwriter Edmond Wong, wanted the film to portray how Chinese people were treated by the British, as well as the Western perceptions towards Chinese martial arts. Apart from appearing in a supporting role, Sammo Hung returned as the film's martial arts choreographer.

Ip Man 2 premiered in Beijing on 21 April 2010; the film was released in Hong Kong, as well as in other parts of Asia on 29 April 2010. Ip Man 2 has received positive reviews, despite critics stating that the sequel is not as good as its predecessor.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat May 01, 2010 3:23 pm
Veteran

Post Re: Yip Man 2 [Ip Man 2]
Ip Man 2 is a slightly less enjoyable movie than the first one.

Ip Man 2 is centered around the life of Yip Man, who after leaving Foshan (from the continuation of the end of the first movie), moves to Hong Kong and starts a martial arts school while there. Soon, students start pouring in until one day one of Ip Man's students, Wong Leung, fights a student from a rival martial arts club that is headed by a master (Sammo Hung) who has ties to the local police force. One thing leads to another and we are left with the battle between Chinese martial arts vs. Western style boxing in a boxing match.

Overall, I thought the action was spectacular. The fight scenes were done well and the trailer did the movie an injustice as it made Ip Man seem weak due to him pummeling his enemies with a volley of punches. Even though I hate Sammo, he really did a great job choreographing all the action scenes throughout the movie.

I found that the story was lacking a bit. In the first one, the Japanese occupied Chinese territory and there was a real understanding of why Ip Man fought with the leader of the Japanese army. Here, there really isn't a focal point that makes you get why he had to fight in the first place. To me, there was no theme here. It just seemed like he fought for the sake of fighting and to get people to stop.

Nevertheless, the story can take a backseat as long as the action is good. It was. There was never a dull moment and while I found the story to be ridiculous and almost non-existent, it didn't detract from my viewing pleasure.

As for the actors, Donnie Yen plays Ip Man so well. He really carried the film as the classy, benevolent and powerful master. Sammo Hung wasn't anything special as the leader of another martial arts school. I thought Sammo's character, Hung Chun-nam, was really ridiculous. He went from the villain to hero in all of 30 minutes. Huang Xiaoming was good as the cocky and brash student of Ip Man. I liked the return of Lynn Hung's character (Ip's wife) and Fan Siu-Wong's character (former thief from the first film that challenges Ip Man to a duel and later befriends him). Simon Yam was completely wasted as Chow Ching-chuen. It would have been better if they left him off-screen and talked about him in passing or if he was actually helping Ip Man do something. He was completely useless to Ip Man and contributed nothing to the plot. Darren Shahlavi's performance as Twister was good but one-note. They made him seem almost inhuman with the manic way he was supposed to portray the character.

Still, all those nitpicks were not enough to lower my satisfaction of the movie. The action scenes really flowed well and Donnie Yen carried the film on his back and then some. It's sad that he will not take part in another Ip Man film. He plays the character so well and he makes others look good too.

8.5/10

Follow me on Twitter: https://twitter.com/hkreleasedates

Blog: http://hkreleasedates.blogspot.com

Sun May 02, 2010 1:17 pm
now we know

I haven't seen the first Ip Man, but if it's anything like the sequel then I won't bother. Ip Man 2 is watchable once, but not again. The ever straight-faced Donnie Yen just doesn't have any charisma at all. I kind of can't stand these old clothes wearing Chinese movies. There's too many of them and nothing especially striking happens in any of them.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:34 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]