Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0

loyalfromlondon

Post Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold

Quote:
Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold is a movie directed by Gary Nelson and released on January 30, 1987 in the United States. It is based on the novel by H. Rider Haggard of the same name. It is the sequel to King Solomon's Mines.

The role of Allan Quatermain is played by Richard Chamberlain and that of Jesse Huston by Sharon Stone, who was nominated for a Golden Raspberry Awards for "Worst Actress" for this role. The movie also starred James Earl Jones as Umslopogaas, Henry Silva as Agon, Aileen Marson as Queen Nyleptha, Cassandra Peterson as Queen Sorais and Chamberlain's real-life partner Martin Rabbett as Robeson Quatermain.

The movie was filmed in the same project as its predecessor, King Solomon's Mines, although it was released a couple of years later. Despite the tremendous liberties both movies take with the source material, Allan Quatermain was loosely based, mostly, in the book sequel of Haggard's King Solomon's Mines, entitled Allan Quatermain. In that book, which depicts Quatermain's last adventure (although it's just the second in the series of novels), the character and his associates go searching for a lost white tribe in Africa, and end up involved in a war between the rival queens of the kingdom. An opulent set was constructed for the movie just outside Victoria Falls.

To cut costs, the movie score was just a reuse of the material composed by Jerry Goldsmith for the first movie, which caused confusion as to which movie of the two was being watched, and just half an hour of original music written by Michael Linn.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:21 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold
I grew up watching a lot of Canon films looking back on my early childhood. I have a soft spot for a lot of them, and these very cheaply made AQ movies are no different. Chamberlain is actually fun in the role, and Sharon Stone has some very strong early charms showing she had the potential to be big. Where the first is a decent Romancing the Stone knock off (That film's director would go on to make the equally cheesy fun Chuck Norris adventure film Firewalker, but this one is rather ridiculous outside of fun turns by James Earl Jones, Frank Silva, and Cassandra Peterson (Elvyra.) From extremely horrible brown facing to just really flimsy action sequences. Honestly finding the Lost City of Gold doesn't seem much more difficult than walking a 10 mile hiking trail. But Frank Silva's villain is so ridiculously hilarious. This is now one of my favorite clips.

Anyone with a soft spot for some so bad it's good fun, it's definitely worth a shot. D+ (But I definitely had fun watching it)

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]