Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Legally Blonde 

What grade would you give this film?
A 36%  36%  [ 4 ]
B 64%  64%  [ 7 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

Legally Blonde 
College Boy Z

Post Legally Blonde
Legally Blonde

Quote:
Legally Blonde (stylized as LEGALLY blonde) is a 2001 American comedy film directed by Robert Luketic, written by Karen McCullah Lutz and Kirsten Smith, and produced by Marc E. Platt. The film stars Reese Witherspoon as a sorority girl who struggles to win back her ex-boyfriend by earning a law degree, along with Luke Wilson as a young attorney she meets during her studies, Matthew Davis as the ex-boyfriend, Selma Blair as his new fiancée, Victor Garber and Holland Taylor as law professors, Jennifer Coolidge as a manicurist, and Ali Larter as a fitness instructor accused of murder. The screenplay is based on the novel of the same name by Amanda Brown. Lutz based the film's sorority culture on her own experiences at James Madison University.

In America, the film was released on July 13, 2001 and received generally positive reviews. It was nominated for a Golden Globe Award for Best Motion Picture: Musical or Comedy and ranks 29th on Bravo's 2007 list of "100 Funniest Movies". For her performance, Witherspoon was nominated for Best Actress – Motion Picture Musical or Comedy and the 2002 MTV Movie Award for Best Female Performance.

The film's box-office success led to a 2003 sequel, Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde, and a 2009 direct-to-DVD spin-off, Legally Blondes. Additionally, Legally Blonde: The Musical premiered on January 23, 2007, in San Francisco and opened in New York City at the Palace Theatre on Broadway on April 29, 2007, starring Laura Bell Bundy. The musical has since closed on Broadway, but opened to very good reviews and box office in London's West End.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:46 am
You must have big rats

Surprisingly good movie with witty humor, a well-written screenplay and a great performance by Reese Witherspoon.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:19 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

One of my favorite movies - ever. No matter how bad I'm feeling, this movie will always cheer me up, seriously. Reese Witherspoon was simply marvelous here. I think the part of Elle (at least in the first movie) is a really difficult role, because the actress has to present a constantly bubbly character who gains your favor instead of annoying you. Witherspoon is wonderful at it. Let's just pretend Legally Blonde 2 never happened. A

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:00 pm
Extraordinary

One of my ultimate guilty pleasures, Reese Witherspoon is really, really impressive in this. - A/A-

Sun Mar 20, 2005 12:39 pm
Indiana Jones IV

I really think that this film was a incredible movie, its funny and its a fun film to watch. Reese is fantastic for this role. A

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:14 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Love it. One of my favorite comedies. Reese is fantastic.

9/10 (A)

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:55 pm
Profile YIM
Teh Mexican

very girly, but Funny, Reese did a fantastic job

A-

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:57 pm
Award Winning Bastard

As my little renaissance continues, I watched Legally Blonde. It's the story of Elle, who's an airhead on the surface, but very sharp under it all. After her boyfriend , Warren, dumps her, Elle decides to try to win his love by becoming more of the kind of girl that he wants, so she applies to Harvard law school, and she gets accepted. Well, she doesn't exactly get accepted by the other students or professors at first, as none of them take the bubbly blonde seriously, and soon after she starts at Harvard, she does indeed meet up with Warren, but much to her dismay, he's engaged to a bitchy girl named Vivian, whom Elle had already had a little run in with. After finally realizing that Warren wasn't going to accept her no matter what she did, Elle decides to pour 100% of her efforts into her school, and her brain power gets quick recognition by her professors and fellow students.

One of her professors, who's one of the top defense attorneys in the state, seeks student aid for a murder trial that is coming up, and Elle, as well as Warren, Vivian, and a few others, are selected to assist, as is an assistant professor/student/lawyer (whatever his title was) , played by Luke Wilson. It turns out that Elle knows the defendant , and becomes the only one to gain her trust, so much in fact, that she tells Elle her alibi, but swears her to secrecy because it would ruin her if it got out. (more on that later) Elle honors that trust, and refuses to tell anybody, looking for another way to prove her innocence. Her honor even wins the respect of Vivian, until Vivian sees their professor hitting on Elle, and assumes she's been sleeping her way to the top.

His advances are enough for Elle to quit, and decide to head back to LA, but she is talked out of it after a professor , who gave her a hard time at first , tells her not to let one prick bother her, or words to that effect, and in a surprising move, the defendant fires the prick professor , and uses Elle as her lead counsel. To make a long story short, Elle gets the defendant off, graduates, the job offers pour in, Emmett (Luke Wilson) proposes, Elle and Vivian become best friends, and Warren gets dumped by Vivian and graduates with no girlfriend or job offers. :laugh:

I gave Legally Blonde a B+, and there were a few specific reasons from keeping this highly enjoyable movie from being an "A". (don't hurt me , Libs! [-o< .......... :bruised: ) First, Brook , the defendant, and her reasons for not wanting to tell what her alibi was. She was a fraud as a fitness expert, and was getting the fat sucked out of her when the murder happened, and she would rather go to jail for MURDER than ruin her reputation in the fitness world. Going to jail for murder would probably look worse than being a fraud... #-o Second, there were two different situations in the courtroom where things were blurted out. Once, when the pool boy answers that his boyfriend's name was Chuck, and I could have forgotten about that one, but then, the daughter just blurts out that she killed her father because she was expecting it to be the defendant, who was her step mother. It was a little too convenient, and I would have preferred a little more cleverly written resolution to the case. If all cases were that easy, the guilty would never walk and the innocent would never go to jail.

Those issues aside, I really did enjoy the movie quite a bit!

Last edited by Maverikk on Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:37 pm
You must have big rats

So what's the standing so far with Legally Blonde vs. Miss Congeniality? Which did you like more?

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

So what's the standing so far with Legally Blonde vs. Miss Congeniality? Which did you like more?

I like them about the same. Maybe Legally Blonde a little more.

Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:40 pm
Sbil

Oh, how I love it. In my top 5 ever, methinks.

"And last week I saw Cameron Diaz at Fred Segal and I talked her out of buying this truly heinous angora sweater. Whoever said orange was the new pink was seriously disturbed."

"Don't stomp your little last season Prada shoes at me, honey!"

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:16 pm
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Dr. Lecter wrote:

I like them about the same. Maybe Legally Blonde a little more.

For me, MC was good but especially the first LB was good to great. Reese was priceless.

Fri Feb 03, 2006 11:29 pm
Profile WWW
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Post Re: Legally Blonde
I can't believe how much I love this film. I was expecting some dumb, girly comedy (I was "forced" to watch it) and I have to say this might be my favourite comedy ever, and one of my guilitiest pleasures up there with Mean Girls. Reese should've recieved an oscar nom as Elle, she is simply AMAZING. She owns the film. But the supporting cast is also great. The film is so random, fun, and just really really really really funny at all times. Each time I watch this or remember it I get a huge smile on my face.

A+

Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:36 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

A+

One of the best movies of all time. Seriously.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:09 pm
Extraordinary

If everyone loves this so much, why weren't we able to get it in the KJ 100?

Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:08 pm
Sbil

snack wrote:
If everyone loves this so much, why weren't we able to get it in the KJ 100?

We suck, apparently. This so should've been in there, along with Clueless. Heh.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:14 pm
Team Kris

Anyone saw the musical?

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:48 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Christian wrote:
Anyone saw the musical?

I've seen it. It's a really fun, high-energy show. I had a blast.

Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:52 pm
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

Christian wrote:
Anyone saw the musical?

Yes. Hated it except for two numbers. ("Omigod You Guys" and "Gay or European?")

Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:01 pm
Sbil

WHY IS THIS THE BEST MOVIE EVER?

So much love.

Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:44 pm
Forum General

Am I the only one who liked the musical more? It was a blast when I saw it last summer on Laura Bell Bundy's last day...

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:54 am
Profile YIM WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

The musical is fun. The movie is better.

Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:43 pm
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

i wanted to like this movie

Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:48 pm

An entertaining satire of the platinum blonde stereotypes, and quite humorous. It's no Superbad, but its a good time and quite cute at moments.
3/5 (if they cut out the awful side story with that obnoxious trailer-trash friend of hers it would have been significantly better and a higher grade)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:20 am
Christian's #1 Fan

I never reviewed this?

Blasphemy.

Anyway, as everyone else said: it is delightful, funny, and well, one of the best rom-coms. A-

Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:40 am
Reply to topic   [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next