Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 The Ghost Writer 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 6 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 5 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 12

The Ghost Writer 
loyalfromlondon

Post The Ghost Writer
The Ghost Writer

Quote:
The Ghost Writer (aka The Ghost in the UK) is a film adaptation of the Robert Harris novel The Ghost. The film is directed by Roman Polanski and based on a screenplay written by Harris and Polanski. It stars Ewan McGregor and Pierce Brosnan.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:15 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: The Ghost Writer
It's very good. I'd join the "Polanski's best since the 70s" crowd but I see no need to damn this terrific movie with such faint praise.

Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:18 am
Pure Phase

Here's what I wrote on another forum the night I saw it:

"I hope to write more later, but I just have to say: The Ghost Writer is amazing. Not just "oh, it's early in the year, this will do for now," but rather holy-shit/one-of-Roman-Polanski's-best-films caliber amazing. Ewan McGregor delivers a career-best performance and is supported by a fine ensemble cast (Olivia Williams is particularly electrifying). The film is PERFECTLY made, from the atmospheric, stylish photography of the rain-and-wind-swept locations to Alexandre Desplat's frightening, melancholy score (a definite homage to Bernard Herrmann's Hitchcock scores). The storyline blends classic suspense elements with very contemporary themes. The last shot is bone-chilling and leaves you almost shaking in your seat, in awe of what's transpired.

It's just good, good, good, full-on good. I am excited. :P "

Seriously, what a movie this was. I am going to see it again very soon. A+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:11 am
Team Kris

Seeing this again tomorrow morning (Daylight Savings Time tradition to see an early showing of a movie). It's just so damn good. Hopefully this gets deserved recognition at year-end.

Sun Mar 14, 2010 3:05 am
Extraordinary

Gripping.

17 out of 5.

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:12 pm
Pure Phase

Bradley! :wub:

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:55 pm
Extraordinary

I found the first half surprisingly free of tension, to the point it was hurting the film. When McGregor was being chased after meeting Tom Wilkinson, I didn't think the film had earned it. He didn't yet know any damning information. What's the big deal?

After that point, it ratchets up considerably. The direction is beautiful, the actors (especially Olivia Williams and Pierce Brosnan) very good, and more importantly, all of the story pieces and twists fit together. I'm truly impressed by the fact that every little clue, hint, and line seems to add up to a cohesive whole; such a rarity these days.

Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:05 pm
Full Fledged Member

I shall be viewing this very soon. I would not say I am "excited" but I expect at least a mediocre piece of cinema. Which is about all I allow myself to presume from modern American film.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:46 am
Pure Phase

Directed and co-written by a French/Polish director, co-written by an English novelist, starring a Scotsman, an Irishman, and two English actresses.

Why is this an American film? :P

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:18 am
loyalfromlondon

OE thinks everything that doesn't have subtitles is American.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:54 am
Full Fledged Member

trixster wrote:
OE thinks everything that doesn't have subtitles is American.

Also, anything lacking subtitles made after 1960 is awful.

Mon Mar 22, 2010 2:25 pm
Sbil

A nicely constructed and atmospheric thriller from Roman Polanski. The acting is solid all around, with Ewan McGregor conveying a believable everyman, Olivia Williams nailing the calculating presence behind her character, Pierce Brosnan bringing the necessary gravitas to his role, and Kim Cattrall (despite an iffy British accent) giving a respectable effort. The whole thing is nicely paced, everything builds in order to make sense, and the ending shot is one of the best in recent memory. B+

Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:11 am
Forum General

Wonderful little movie. It was gorgeous to look at (THE FINAL SHOT!) and was incredibly entertaining and kept you guessing until the end.

8/10 (A-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The Ghost Writer is nothing short of fantastic. Ewan McGregor is nearly flawless as the ghost writer of former Prime Minister Adam Lang (Pierce Brosnan). Every scene he is in is filled with intense and wonderful story development and he brings what already is solid writing and makes it even better. His work deserves at least an Oscar nomination and his role is by far the best by an actor this year so far. There a few roles coming up, such as possibly James Franco in Danny Boyle's upcoming 127 Hours, that could possibly overtake McGregor's performance but it is going to be very hard. The fact of not releasing McGregor's character's name in the film is very smart as well. It is by far the actor's best role to date. Pierce Brosnan is fairly strong as well though this ends up being one of the film's small flaws, where it would of been nice to see Brosnan more in the film because he is amazing as well. The rest of the supporting cast is fairly strong as well. The film has an Oscar-worthy screenplay and the cinematography is just beautiful. The use of news coverage within the film worked fairly well whereas and other films it seems like a useless tool. The last third act in fact is pure genius and very thrilling. A couple of pieces were a bit predictable, but still left a shock. Wrap it all up with a beautiful looking ending shot and you have greatness. No matter what has happened in his past, this is by far one of Roman Polanski's best films to date, at least Top 3 in his work. ****

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:47 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

A well-made, interesting, but overall nothing terribly special mystery. Saw it in theaters and don't feel the need to watch it again.

7/10 ( B )

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:35 pm
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Mr. Magnus wrote:
Anyone else get the slight feeling that perhaps Ruth looked concerned at the end not because The Ghost found out but because she knew that he would be killed and was trying to get to him to save his life?

No.

Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:03 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

9/10 -> A-

The first excellent movie of 2010. It a very neat thriller, with great directing (I loved all the Hitchcockian elements in this one - a lot of the scenes in this movie are a direct shot to shot nod to his films), great performances and great atmospheric music.

Sat Oct 09, 2010 11:48 am
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

It was good but not great

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:01 am
loyalfromlondon

No, it is great.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Sun Jan 16, 2011 1:07 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Er schneidet die Zehn in zehn Teile und nimmt daraus sieben, um sie dem Film auf die Brust zu heften.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:36 am
Profile WWW
Gamaur's sex slave

I just saw this:
Libs wrote:
... and Kim Cattrall (despite an iffy British accent) giving a respectable effort. B+

She is from Liverpool. I doubt her british accent is bad.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 2:47 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

The only thing that bugs me is how the ghost discovers that whats-his-name is in the CIA--because he like googles it, or something.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:54 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Everyone in the inner circle apparently knew who Wilkinson was and his relationship to Olivia Williams; Kim Cattrall gives the information like its common knowledge. He's even hanging on her arm at the book event at the end! So, if anyone had ever typed his name into google, the first hit is "CIA Agent." They would have seen that! It's kind of goofy. Really goofy.

Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]