Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:22 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Old Dogs 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Old Dogs 

Post Old Dogs
Old Dogs

Quote:
Old Dogs is a 2009 American comedy film directed by Wild Hogs's Walt Becker and starring John Travolta and Robin Williams with supporting roles played by Kelly Preston, Matt Dillon, Justin Long, Seth Green, Rita Wilson, Dax Shepard and Bernie Mac. It was released in theaters on November 25, 2009 and will be released on DVD March 9th, 2010.

The movie is dedicated to both Bernie Mac (who died in August 2008 and had his final cameo role in the film) and Jett Travolta (John Travolta's son who died in January 2009).

Old Dogs received poor reception from film critics. The Orlando Sentinel called the film "badly written and broadly acted." The Chicago Daily Herald said the film "should be put out of our misery." The San Jose Mercury News and The Boston Globe both described the film as a "turkey." Reviews in the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel and AV Club said the movie was not recommended for adults or children.

Fri Nov 27, 2009 5:37 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Post Re: Old Dogs [2009/I]
Yeah, none of you don't need me to tell you this, but it was awful. Just awful.

I'll admit I was a fan of Wild Hogs (and I know for some of you this will be the point where you stop reading), but it was clear that the reason why that film worked (as well as it could've) is because they got four people together that had good chemistry. It also helped they had two naturally funny stand up comics (no offense John and Will). And it was at least PG-13.

With Old Dogs you have Travolta who has no shame, and Robin Williams who used to have no limits, and both are misdirected horribly. Travolta goes "nuts" in every scene he's in and Williams is restrained for pretty much the entire film. There might have been a few more laughs if Travolta had played the family man and Williams was the bachelor.

There's just not one naturally funny moment in the film. Every joke, every gag, is painfully forced to the point where an idea on the script that could've been funny, no longer is. Actually, I take that back. Justin Long got the most "laughs" out of me and he's in the film for about two minutes.

* (D)

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Nov 29, 2009 8:37 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Jmart wrote:
Yeah, none of you don't need me to tell you this, but it was awful. Just awful.

I'll admit I was a fan of Wild Hogs (and I know for some of you this will be the point where you stop reading), but it was clear that the reason why that film worked (as well as it could've) is because they got four people together that had good chemistry. It also helped they had two naturally funny stand up comics (no offense John and Will). And it was at least PG-13.

With Old Dogs you have Travolta who has no shame, and Robin Williams who used to have no limits, and both are misdirected horribly. Travolta goes "nuts" in every scene he's in and Williams is restrained for pretty much the entire film. There might have been a few more laughs if Travolta had played the family man and Williams was the bachelor.

There's just not one naturally funny moment in the film. Every joke, every gag, is painfully forced to the point where an idea on the script that could've been funny, no longer is. Actually, I take that back. Justin Long got the most "laughs" out of me and he's in the film for about two minutes.

* (D)

Your a good man.. You took 1 for the team.. :funny: Was there an older crowd present, a crowd that would probably enjoy something like this???

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Nov 30, 2009 3:05 am
Profile WWW
Star Trek XI

Although critics didn't find the movie entertaining I did laugh throughout the film. I enjoyed Williams once again!

Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:24 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Yeah the movie is very poor and goes down the stupid kid film drain. Robin Williams and John Travolta try to have too much fun with the script and just end up making bigger fools of themselves then the already terrible trailers indicated. The plot goes through the typical family one where they all have fun, the dad says he doesn't want the kids, kids get angry, then everyone is happy again. While I did laugh a couple of times, a lot of the jokes rely on getting hit in the groin (twice), sick bathroom jokes, and the usual 7-year-old jokes. A poor effort from the whole cast. *

Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:47 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Old Dogs is a very broad comedy. We follow Robin Williams' character as it is revealed he has two children from a fling with Kelly Preston's character years before, and John Travolta is his best bud and business partner in their sports marketing firm, Rayburn+Reed. The two are attempting to win a big contract with a Japanese company, but it never gets deeper than that - and we never see or hear anything marketing-related in the entire film. They go on about the most important "conference calls" and "business meetings" in their careers, and a contract that is worth $47m over 5 years, but other than that there is nothing in the film that suggests they give a shit about it or are anything to do with marketing. It is a simple but hollow 'career vs. family' story, but it all works out in the end for them - they get the contract and get the family. While I enjoy watching Travolta in anything, nobody is funny here. It is no Wild Hogs. It is overly silly, and the script is remarkably sappy, which is expected for Disney. Seth Green, Rita Wilson, Matt Dillon, Justin Long, Luis Guzmán, Ann-Margret, and Bernie Mac co-star, all of which are also unfunny. Travolta probably had fun making Old Dogs as he got his wife and daughter parts in the film, it is just a shame that we did not have fun watching it.

D

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]