Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

You must have big rats

Post Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant

Quote:
Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant is the 2009 film adaptation of the first three books of the book series The Saga of Darren Shan by author Darren Shan.

Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:19 pm
Profile WWW
Angels & Demons

Post Re: Cirque du Freak: The Vampire's Assistant
I intend to see this soon. The books aren't great and make you groan sometimes, but are quite fun.

However, based on the poster, it looks to me like someone somewhere has made some very bad decisions. Seems like they've changed details (and the general feel) of the source material to cash in on the whole Twilight craze... basically alienating the original fans in the hope of attracting lovers of a completely different vamp franchise.

Tue Oct 27, 2009 4:31 pm
Forum General

Awful.

4/10 (D+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:12 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Wallflower

This kind of sucked :P. I was bored.

5/10 (C-)

Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:57 am
Pure Phase

I enjoyed this. From the the atmospheric, sumptuous production design to the colorful, quirky VFX, the film is a visual delight. I also thought the cast was solid, particularly John C. Reilly and Josh Hutcherson. The lead actor was slightly wooden, but charismatic enough. I would have enjoyed seeing more of the supporting cast, which includes Willem Dafoe and Jane Krakowski. I presume they were promised expanded roles in the sequel, which brings me to the film's main problem. It was made as if a sequel was inevitable. Not much is resolved at the end and the third act is overflowing with "The war has begun!"-type dialogue. Which would be fine had this not been an enormous flop. Now we are left with a fun, well-crafted adventure which feels (and will remain) unfinished.

B/B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:34 pm
You must have big rats

B

I liked this. It's not a milestone of the genre and certainly nothing anyone will remember a couple of years later, but I thought it was a promising beginning to a fantasy saga that will now never find its continuation on the big screen. I like the world Paul Weitz has created on screen and I enjoyed the visual style. It was certainly a better literary adaptation than his brother's misguided The Golden Compass film.

Chris Massoglia does a decent enough job in the leading role, but it's the supporting cast of John C. Reilly, Ken Watanabe, Willem Dafoe and Michael Cerveris that actually leaves some sort of an impression. The latter, in particular, comes across as a pretty cool villain. Too bad we won't be seeing more of that. Josh Hutcherson, on the other hand, is the only member of the cast that stood out in a negative way. I didn't find his "bad boy" portrayal convincing for a second.

The film's real strength lies in its interesting mythology, the nice quirky side characters and the film's visuals. I would have loved to see this world expanded, but alas, that's not going to happen.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:38 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]