Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:01 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 The Children 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 3

The Children 
You must have big rats

Post The Children
The Children

Quote:
The Children is a 2008 British horror film directed by Tom Shankland and starring Eva Birthistle.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:01 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: The Children
I don't have much to say about it but I really liked it. :thumbsup:

8/10 (B+)

Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:23 am
The Wall

2/10 -> F

Hated it.

Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:05 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B/B+

I admit that I went into the film thinking very skeptically about it. First, I'm not a huge fan of the evil-children subgenre. Second, the director's Tom Shanckland's last effort, W Delta Z (The Killing Gene) was quite a mediocre film and a rip-off. That said, he very much rebounded with this mean little flick that'll make you think twice about wanting to have your own children. Everyone who has ever thought of children as annoying mean little things, will certainly love this film and even those who don't should get some enjoyment out of it if they're able to give in to a little suspension of disbelief.

The story is simple. Two families get together on Christmas (four adult, four little kids and one teen). The little children start acting strange. Then stranger. Eventually things turn violent very fast. The build-up is slow, but tense. When the shit hits the fan it does so profoundly. It might not seem this way at first, but this film is gory and filled with some gasp-inducing moments (in particular there's one scene involving a playground and some legs. Even to someone quite desenthesized by horror violence some of the stuff seemed very harsh.

I also must commend the makers for actually trying to explain the madness by referring to a virus, something we see signs of very early on, but don't grasp the whole reach of it until later on. The film's pleasantly creepy at times, though the kids aren't all scary (one definitely is, even before he turns a killer, heh). There are a plenty of tense scenes. Sadly, however, the main characters become somewhat irritating as the film goes on and stupid and illogical things start to happen (would it be that difficult afterall for adult to overwhelm 4- and 5-year-old's?

It's far from a perfect film, but it's a sufficiently creepy and suspenseful one with some good shock moments and an ending that doesn't disappoint. Check this out.

Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:12 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]