Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Zombieland 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 10 ]
B 42%  42%  [ 11 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 4 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 26

Zombieland 
You must have big rats

Post Zombieland
Zombieland

Quote:
Zombieland is a 2009 American zombie comedy directed by Ruben Fleischer from a screenplay written by Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick.

The film stars Woody Harrelson, Jesse Eisenberg, Emma Stone, and Abigail Breslin as survivors of a zombie apocalypse. Together they take an extended road trip in an attempt to find a sanctuary free from zombies, following a set of "rules" designed to keep them alive where others have failed, killing zombies in a variety of creative ways while trying to "enjoy the little things" in a ruined world.

The film received positive critical reviews and was a commercial success: it grossed more than $60.8 million in 17 days, surpassing the Dawn of the Dead remake to become the top-grossing zombie film to date.

Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:47 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Post Re: Zombieland
Compared to Shaun of the Dead?

Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:13 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Zombieland's funnier than Shaun of the Dead.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:53 pm
Extraordinary

Shaun's being a zombie movie; Zombieland's being a full-on comedy. That's really the difference. And I liked the characters more in ZL. The two second bit with Abigail Breslin explaining Hannah Montana to a befuddled Woody Harrelson was more endearing than anything I can remember in SOTD (which, admittedly, I haven't seen in years).

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:04 pm
Extraordinary

I mean to say that Shaun's trying to work as a zombie film the whole way through, whereas Zombieland really only has any tension in act three.

And yes, that scene is amazing. "(Film removed), maybe," is perhaps the best line scribed by a human.

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:10 pm
Extraordinary

ZOMBIELAND

I saw this tonight at a screening. Full house. It had the right mix of comedy, action and gore. In addition, to nice commentary from Eisenberg as Columbus. The bit in the middle was fantastic. Harrelson was great. The final encounter was pretty tense as I wasn't sure what was going to happen. Overall, I thought it was excellent and as of this moment an...

grade - A

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:11 pm
Romosexual!

Fucking Awwwwwsome! :D A+

Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:52 pm

the theatre lost it's shit (and I did too) when the kid killed bill murray.
Easily one of the most fun films, and best filmgoing experiences I've had since Twilight (ooo yeah, I went there)
9/10.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:02 am
Extraordinary

John Savage wrote:
and best filmgoing experiences I've had since Twilight (ooo yeah, I went there)
9/10.

I'm sure theater-goers across the country laughed their butts off at Twilight.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:52 am
The Lubitsch Touch

I enjoyed it. Some dull patches in the middle, but mostly a clever little thing.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:57 am

The Dark Shape wrote:
John Savage wrote:
and best filmgoing experiences I've had since Twilight (ooo yeah, I went there)
9/10.

I'm sure theater-goers across the country laughed their butts off at Twilight.

I know I did, and all my friends did as well. It was one of the most unintentionally funny films of all time.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:52 am

yoshue wrote:
I enjoyed it. Some dull patches in the middle, but mostly a clever little thing.

hmm, I honestly don't remember the last time I found a movie less boring than this particular one.
what were the dull patches? like the teen romance?

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:55 am
---------

AMAZING. The most fun I've had watching a movie in a long time. Woody and Jesse are top-notch. Jesse even more so; he was the perfect character. Loved all the rules and zombie kills. No one's exaggerated saying Bill Murray has the greatest cameo ever. Almost makes you want to be in a zombie-infested world, with nothing but road and adventure ahead of you.

A-

Last edited by MGKC on Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:45 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Bill Murray's practical joke that went wrong was the funniest thing done for a cameo probably more so than the fratpack in Achorman's gang fight

Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:49 pm
Where will you be?

There's a lot of individually funny gags, but the structure was extremely sloppy. The narration was extremely lazy storytelling, with the writers constantly telling the audience what's happening and how characters are feeling, even when establishing a scene isn't necessary. (Not always the case either.)

I liked all the slow motion, and a lot of the slapstick worked. The characters were more hit-and-miss. Woody and Jamie have good chemistry, but the women get the short end of the stick. Abigail Breslin has precious little to do, and Emma Stone gets saddled with a romance subplot that is as undeveloped as it is unbelievable. I'm soo sick of movies having a girl suddenly throw herself on the lead character when there's no evidence she's previously had the slightest interest.

Dark Shape, you should really, really see Shaun of the Dead again. It holds up tremendously well on repeat viewings because it's so solidly constructed. I see the opposite in Zombieland's future. At least there'll be a sequel!

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:33 pm
You must have big rats

I have seen Shaun twice now and I still firmly believe that it is incredibly overrated. Not bad, mind you, but it never reaches the brilliance of, say, Spaced.

Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:34 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

First, in my opinion, this doesn't come close to topping Shaun of the Dead. "Shaun" is a complete film--hilarious, terrifying, and overflowing with well-developed characters brought to complex, deeply-felt life by a brilliant cast.

Zombieland is more of a romp. Exciting, loud, in and out quick. I had a blast and admired the performances, but I'm not sure I'll find myself fondly reflecting on the small character beats years from now, the way I do with "Shaun." Don't get me wrong, though. Again, I had a BLAST. This is a quality popcorn-muncher of the highest order.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:24 pm
Sbil

Not perfect, but mostly clever and often very funny. The slapstick humor and camera tricks (lots of slow motion) work well, and the movie is a lean and mean 80 minutes long. Despite being a "zombie" movie, the film accomplishes making the characters more than caricatures. Jesse Eisenberg is likable channeling Michael Cera, Woody Harrelson hasn't been this entertaining in years, the delightful Emma Stone continues to impress in films, and Abigail Breslin is solid despite having little to do. And yes, the Bill Murray cameo is wonderful. B

Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:26 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Zombieland adds itself to be another strong entry in the horror comedy genre if no tthe comedy genre as a whole. Woody Harrelson and Jesse Eisenburg make a good duo as survivors in a zombie-filled America. Emma Stone and Abagail Breslin are also strong to the cast even if they take a backseat most of the time. There is a certain cameo that brings by far the best laughs from the film and the finale is so ridiculous and odd that you just can't stop from laughing. While it is not quite Shaun of the Dead, Zombieland is one of the rare treats to the genre. ***1/2

Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:13 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Wasn't the scariest nor funniest film I saw this weekend - - that honor goes to C:ALS - - but it it was still pretty darn funnary, or should I say scun!

Zombieland aims low and hits it's target.

Most of the movie is really just a lazy bit of writin' to setup two magnificent set pieces, but it more or less works because of the utter charm of the four lead actors and the fact that these two future classic tableaux are worth the price of admission...

1. Bill Murray
2. Zombieland, itself.

It's alright, but it's nothin' special - - so I suppose I be damnin' it wit faint praise - - it's a fun ride, but let's just say I'm glad I didn't buy the season's pass (...hey, that reminds me of some body I used to know!). There have been many far better movies released in my days at KJ that received unironic derision and no BO recognition whatsoever. But nonetheless, I'll salute the makers of Zombieland for that one epic laugh re: BM, though I can still imagine it's myriad catchphrases and sight gags growing upon one over repeated viewings...

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:30 am
Extraordinary

Magnus wrote:
Oh, it's no where close to Shaun of the Dead. Shaun of the Dead had intellect. Not to say that this movie is dumb, it just isn't smart. And the acting in Zombieland minus Woody is not close to Shaun.

But it's still good and I do very much recommend. Expect a good time, but don't expect to see Shaun of the Dead level.

+1

Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:33 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Wasn't the scariest nor funniest film I saw this weekend - - that honor goes to C:ALS - - but it it was still pretty darn funnary, or should I say scun!

Zombieland aims low and hits it's target.

Most of the movie is really just a lazy bit of writin' to setup two magnificent set pieces, but it more or less works because of the utter charm of the four lead actors and the fact that these two future classic tableaux are worth the price of admission...

1. Bill Murray
2. Zombieland, itself.

It's alright, but it's nothin' special - - so I suppose I be damnin' it wit faint praise - - it's a fun ride, but let's just say I'm glad I didn't buy the season's pass (...hey, that reminds me of some body I used to know!). There have been many far better movies released in my days at KJ that received unironic derision and no BO recognition whatsoever. But nonetheless, I'll salute the makers of Zombieland for that one epic laugh re: BM, though I can still imagine it's myriad catchphrases and sight gags growing upon one over repeated viewings...

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

What???? :blink: :funny: You give it 4 out of 5 emoticons which is more than alright.. That's damn near exceptional and you throw in "damnin it with, no wait, I mean, wit faint praise.. Odd scoring for a movie you had problems with and some that have been far better..

This kills TDKR At the box office next summer.. Get used to this

Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:47 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I chuckled more than laughed - never a good thing for a supposed comedy. Even this year, Drag Me to Hell had a lot more laugh-out-loud moments.

I enjoyed myself, but it's basically Shaun of the Dead for dummies.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:39 pm
You must have big rats

Trix, did you ever wind up seeing Fido?

Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:46 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

I did. I thought it was largely a missed opportunity. Again, some chuckles, but no real laughs.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next