Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:43 pm

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Robots 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Robots 
College Boy Z

Post Robots
Robots

Quote:
Robots is a 2005 American computer-animated comedy film produced by Blue Sky Studios for 20th Century Fox, and was released theatrically on March 11, 2005. The story was created by Chris Wedge and Bill Joyce, a children's book author/illustrator. The two were trying to create a film version of Joyce's book Santa Calls but instead they came up with a movie about robots. Joyce served as producer and production designer for the film.

The DVD and VHS of Robots were released on September 27, 2005. Robots is also the last 20th Century Fox animated film to ever receive a VHS release.

Last edited by zingy on Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:36 pm
Site Owner

Little brother (13) just went to see Robot's with some friends.

loved it, said it was really funny, and is going to go back and see it with his GF tomorrow.

I am sticking with my 53 million prediction and raising my overally to about 190

Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:34 pm
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Little brother (13) just went to see Robot's with some friends.

loved it, said it was really funny, and is going to go back and see it with his GF tomorrow.

I am sticking with my 53 million prediction and raising my overally to about 190

Your brother has to be a PIMP.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:33 am
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Its definately alot better than Shark Tales but its not as good as the other Pixar films, Ice Age or Shrek. What I like about the movie are the characters and setting for the movie. The story is basically Rodney Copperbottom (Ewan Mcgregor) wants more for his life than working along with his dad as a lowly dishwasher, he has a talent for making inventions so he decides to hit the big city in order to find the big Kuhuna played by Mel Brooks but a corparate tycoon played by Greg Kinnear prevents him from doing so. Kinnear plays the villian in the movie by rehauling all the spare parts for the more obsolete robots and putting his own line of expensive upgrades. The story is more in tune with your typical working class father/son relationship and following your dreams to make something of yourself etc etc. I do know the movie isnt that funny but there are parts here and there that make you smile, something that Shark Tales lack big time.

Overall I give it a B

Sat Mar 12, 2005 6:11 pm
Extraordinary

The artistry and visual design of this movie are simply spectacular - it really shows what CGI is capable of, it certainly had none of the creepiness of the last CGI movie I saw - Polar Express (shudder!). Unfortunately, the action was needlessly frenetic at times spoiling much of that artistry. As to the story, it's simple - simple-minded - it was as if they got it from the discount story dollar store. (I still don't understand why when they go to all the trouble of creating all of those fantastic visuals, that they don't spend a few dollars on a decent screenwriter - my whole family, young and old, found it pointless and dull. As to the voices, I'm tired of Robin Williams schtick myself, and the other characters were not very distinctively written or voiced.

Compare this movie to other recent animated classics such as Spirited Away, Beauty and the Beast, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, Toy Story, Triplettes de Belleville... all of these (and many more) managed to have both story and visual flair.

2 out of 5.

(...those 2 points are strictly for the visuals, plus we saw the IMAX version - I would recommend skipping this altogether if you have to see this in regular theatre.)

Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:47 pm
Killing With Kindness

B

pretty funny but nothing special.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

OK, i just saw it, and for me Its the Second worst CGI movie, the worst is Shark Tale, Robots Of course is a lot better, its not a bad movie, it just lacked a few things one of those is comedy, but it had a wonderful message. Nice visuals as always.
i saw it in Spanish, so thats a Minus point for me, i need to see it in English and im sure im going to increase my grade

so i give it a B-

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:34 am
Forum General

The artistry and visual design of this movie are simply spectacular - it really shows what CGI is capable of, it certainly had none of the creepiness of the last CGI movie I saw - Polar Express (shudder!). Unfortunately, the action was needlessly frenetic at times spoiling much of that artistry. As to the story, it's simple - simple-minded - it was as if they got it from the discount story dollar store. (I still don't understand why when they go to all the trouble of creating all of those fantastic visuals, that they don't spend a few dollars on a decent screenwriter - my whole family, young and old, found it pointless and dull. As to the voices, I'm tired of Robin Williams schtick myself, and the other characters were not very distinctively written or voiced.

Compare this movie to other recent animated classics such as Spirited Away, Beauty and the Beast, Spirit: Stallion of the Cimmaron, Toy Story, Triplettes de Belleville... all of these (and many more) managed to have both story and visual flair.

2 out of 5.

(...those 2 points are strictly for the visuals, plus we saw the IMAX version - I would recommend skipping this altogether if you have to see this in regular theatre.)

You hit the nail on the head.

The visuals are stunning. The metal that gleams on the robots and the city's buildings looks virtually flawless, almost real. Newsweek called it the best CG animation we've seen yet, and I agree.

There's a scene near the beginning of the film where various gigantic contraptions transport robots from place to place, and it's imaginative as well as beautifully animated, but like the film itself, it seems to be one big spectacle without much purpose. Why are we watching the robots being flung to the other side of the city via catapult? Because the story calls it? Naw. It's because it looks cool.

You bring up a good point, brad. If Pixar, Disney, and even Fox's own Ice Age have proven that screenplay and graphics can coexist, why do we then have to settle for first-rate animation with a bland, pretty much laugh-free, second-rate script?

And it's not just that the script is weak; the voice acting is just as bland. Ewan McGregor sounds all fun and British in real-life, but he's dull and forgettable with an American accent (especially one that seems to drift in and out). Halle Berry is also just as forgettable. It seems that, unlike Pixar, they're trying to pick the big stars without regard to if the voice will actually complement the character or not. As for Robbin Williams, his work as the Genie was, like, the best ever, but that's because he's funny and his lines were. Here, he has lines like "It's a combination of Jazz and funk... I call it "Junk!" and, yeah, out-of-nowhere, dances to Britney Spears.

And (:sigh:), yes. Even in a film about robots, they manage to squeeze in a few poopie jokes. (So funny!)

I'd actually recommend it to kids: lots of bright colors, moves quickly, kid-friendly humor. But if you're going to get your Pixar-fix, don't expect it in spades. Don't expect it at all, really.

My grade still stands at a C-.

Sun Mar 20, 2005 5:36 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:58 pm
Profile YIM
Teenage Dream

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:53 pm
Indiana Jones IV

Robots are a pretty good movie, it had ots of elements in it. you can have comedy, drama, action, everything. and the movie is a little bit touching, definetely alot better than Shark Tale. i liked the movie very much. the character of Robin Williams are alittle too over acting in my opinion. but nevertheless still gave us lots of laugh. one of my favorite movie this year. A

Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:49 am
Profile ICQ WWW
Kiera Knightly is my lady!

PG

this movie was funny and pretty clever! I thought it was a nice fun movie.
Robin Williams should be a voice actor again, he was great as Fender. I recomend this movie to everyone.

B+

Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

The sudden decline of CGI animated movies continues with this mess of a movie. Robots was not a good movie. The animations seriously failed to impress me. I *think* Shark Tale had slightly better animations. Though, that movie sucked more than Robots. Robots tried a little too hard to be funny. With playing Chingy's "Right Thurr" to Britney Spears "Baby One More Time", I grew very sick of the movie. If there was only one scene I liked a little bit, it was the whole battle scene at the end, though it was a cheap Lord of the Rings rip off. Overall, Robots was just what it's trailer indicated. Sloppy. Only in Pixar, I shall trust. C-

Sat Mar 26, 2005 6:19 pm
New Server, Same X

A large portion of the film is devoted to saying "Look! They're robots! Isn't that cool? Look at all the robot qualities they have!". When they're done shoving that little fact down our throats, they give the robots the most annoying and ridiculous human qualities that end up making this film look like another Shark Tale. Obviously, robots are robots, but it's not like they had to remind us all the time.

Then, the animation. It's far too detailed. Yes, there is such a thing as being far too detailed, and Robots hits it right on the head. There are scenes simply devoted to the scenery. We aren't talking ten seconds, we're talking minutes of nothing but "Wow, look at this animation! It's so detailed and modern!". Don't believe me? See the movie for yourself, and try to talk about anything besides the animation. Can't do it, can you? Why? Because the story is about as bland as you can get, and 95% of the film is about the animation, and not about the story.

The reason Pixar films thrive is not because of the animation. Sure, the animation is incredible, but rarely do Pixar films stop to show us the scenery and nothing more. It can be the background, but it rarely is the focal point. What makes Pixar work is the heart of the films. The films give real emotions from fake characters. Toys aren't humans, but they still had heart and they had human emotions that weren't overdone. What I'm saying is they acted like humans, and you could have easily forgotten these were animated toys, not real people. Same for Finding Nemo, Monsters, Inc. and A Bug's Life. In Robots, the robots spend far too much time doing robot things, with the rare human emotions being mean-spirited, moronic, or just plain annoying. There is no heart and no soul in the robots, and it's always the badge worn that they are robots. Plain and simple.

And what is with Dreamworks Animated films and referencing really unusual things from the past? "Hit Me Baby, One More Time"? Ricola? One robot does some weird, hip-hop dance... like a robot (Ugh.). Then you got Robin Williams, who basically unleashes every little bit he does, where he goes insane, talks in high voices, and goes off on this rant and that rant. Okay Robin, calm the fuck down. It's these things that make the film dated. You can't watch this 50 years from now without explaining everything. How can you even explain that Robin Williams acted that way all the time in the late 1990s, and into the early 2000s, all the way in 2050? You can't. Pixar films are timeless, like most Disney films (Snow White and Bambi, anyone?). Dreamsworks seems to just thrive on the now, and doesn't even want to depend on the then. Like almost everything in the world now, Dreamworks Animated films are not at all built to last. This little fact makes me hate the film more.

Grade: D+ (It only gets a D+ for the odd chuckle here and there, and good animation in certain spots, whereas in most cases, the animation is overdone and overdetailed, as previously stated.)

Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:29 pm
Extraordinary

What a load of crap. A whole bunch of effort on the animation wasted.

D+ (I rate it higher than Madagascar and Shark Tale because of the animation... Otherwise, they're equal in quality, story/character wise... Turds.)

Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:27 pm
Extraordinary

What an unfunny, unintelligent, poorly-written, loud, and just all around aweful movie. I'm sorry, but if the writer thinks funny is about having robots their body parts fallen off and seeing the parts fighting each other, or having their pants drop off a few times, or suddenly turn into a Britney Spears reference in the middle of the big fight, then I'll excuse myself from watching it. The 80 minutes feel like 2.5 hours. There were a few nice moments in the second half where it got more heart-warming, but that's about it.

Fri Oct 14, 2005 4:19 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Oh, the downfall of CGI animation is near. This officially stands as the worstz CG-animated film I have ever seen to date. Granted, I haven't seen Chicken Little or Shark Tale yet, but it really is pretty mediocre. Not all about it is bad. The CGI animation itself, in fact, was superb. The love for details in the film is amazing. There is so much to discoer in the world of Robots. There are also some neat gags that made me chuckle a bit. Other than that, the story is really way too childish and seriously, whoever thought that having a mvie with robots as main character is a good concept neeeds to be shot. It just doesn't work out and simply doesn't make much sense. At all.

Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:38 am
Profile WWW
problem?

I just watched it on HBO. I thought it was incredibly kyoot (cute). A good movie? Not really but it was a great way to pass an hour and a half. I'd give it a B-.

Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:54 pm
life begins now

Might have been worse, but I do remember thinking it was highly mediocre.

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:39 pm
Profile YIM
Stanley Cup

B+

Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]