Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Time Traveler's Wife 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 36%  36%  [ 5 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 4 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

The Time Traveler's Wife 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The Time Traveler's Wife
The Time Traveler's Wife

Quote:
The Time Traveler's Wife is a 2009 film based on Audrey Niffenegger's 2003 novel of the same name. Directed by Robert Schwentke, the film stars Eric Bana as Henry DeTamble, a Chicago librarian with a genetic disorder that causes him to time travel randomly as he tries to build a romantic relationship with his love Clare, played by Rachel McAdams.

Filming began in September 2007, originally in anticipation of a fall 2008 release. The film's release was postponed with initially no official explanation from the studio. McAdams later noted that the delay was due to additional scenes and reshoots that could not be completed until the season at their outdoor location matched previously filmed footage, and Bana had regrown his hair following his work on the 2009 film Star Trek. The film was released in theaters on August 14, 2009.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:34 am
College Boy Z

Post Re: The Time Traveler's Wife
lol I like how the picture is from Wedding Crashers. Gameface. :P

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:49 am
Sbil

zingy wrote:

Wut

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:52 am
College Boy Z

Libs wrote:
zingy wrote:

Wut

There's some Zingy lingo for ya. "Gameface."

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:04 am
Sbil

zingy wrote:
Libs wrote:
zingy wrote:

Wut

There's some Zingy lingo for ya. "Gameface."

I was asking what the heck it meant.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:08 am
Extraordinary

Have you two longtime KJ members no shame?!?

Are the "Everyone's A Critic" review threads now just a playground for off topic derails?

Are there not enough other threads in the forum to satisfy your horseplay?

If there wasn't - - couldn't you two just create an infinite number of threads to do so in?

Is that an echo I hear?

ECHO...

Echo...

echo...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:10 am
Sbil

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
Have you two longtime KJ members no shame?!?

Are the "Everyone's A Critic" review threads now just a playground for off topic derails?

Are there not enough other threads in the forum to satisfy your horseplay?

If there wasn't - - couldn't you two just create an infinite number of threads to do so in?

Is that an echo I hear?

ECHO...

Echo...

echo...

Wow, sorry Grandpa!

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:11 am
Extraordinary

Libs wrote:
Wow, sorry Grandpa!

Get outta my yard/thread, you kids!!! :rant:

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:16 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw it earlier today and loved it. Full review soon.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:20 am
Profile YIM
Dont Mess with the Gez

zingy wrote:

:lol:

I thought i'd seen that scene before and then put it down as deja vu. I think i'll keep it though, kind of seems like McAdams time travelled back to one of her own movies :P

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:41 am
"no rank"

did anyone see The Daily Show interview with Rachel? Im happy someone asked the burning questions about Time Travel child molestation.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episod ... el-mcadams

Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:02 am
ef star star kay

thompsoncory wrote:
I saw it earlier today and loved it. Full review soon.

Wow, really?

Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:14 pm
You must have big rats

Bah 12 replies and only 1 review?!

Oh wait...

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:40 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

zingy wrote:

LOL! That's funny :funny:.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:52 pm
You must have big rats

Okay back on topic, folks, please.

Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:28 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

This is a solid, relatively straightforward adaptation of the novel. Director Robert Schwentke (of the stupefyingly lame Flightplan) and screenwriter Bruce Joel Rubin don't deviate from the novel too much and keep the majority of the book's biggest "events," although the novel was very intricate and a little is lost in the film translation. Eric Bana's low-key acting style makes him perfectly suited for the role of Henry. He is counterbalanced by the enchanting Rachel McAdams, who brings Clare to life with considerable spark and energy. McAdams and Bana don't have red-hot chemistry (certainly nothing close to McAdams and Ryan Gosling in The Notebook) but they're believable in their roles, which is what matters. A complaint I had was that the movie could've used some more depth at times, since a lot of subtleties and nuances from the novel aren't effectively duplicated in the film. Either way, this movie is worth seeing for those who likes their romances without them drowning in sap. B

Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:37 pm
Top Poster

B, not much to say about this movie

Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:30 pm
Profile WWW
Full Fledged Member

Spoiler Alert:

This is yet another cliche, headache-inducing, melodramatic love story; however, despite the cliches and general plot outline, the film brings something fresh to the table, including the time travel and tearjerking ending. Despite the originality, however, the time travel got a bit confusing at parts, especially when he was watching himself at a certain moment, and the very end, when he comes back to see Claire after he dies, makes me wonder if it was really that big of a deal that he died...since he can still time travel. Originally, I loved it at about an A-, but AS SOON AS that horrid question came into my mind, "Couldn't he have just died and NOT been able to time travel back?," my grade dropped to a B. There's no point in him dying if he can still time travel basically.

Yes, it's cliche and filled with numerous plot holes and questionable concepts, but all in all, it creates some magic and includes something other romances lack: some originality, substance, and most importantly, heart.

Grade: B

Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:30 pm
Extraordinary

spencer101f wrote:
Spoiler Alert:

...makes me wonder if it was really that big of a deal that [we die]...

Aye, there's the rub.

Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:53 am
Veteran

Hmm, this was a very frustrating movie. The story itself is a very beautiful, very intricate story that works, obviously, much better in the written form. The book itself is a really excellent book that was quite moving, and handled a ridiculous subject matter surprisingly well. The cast is fine, McAdams makes Claire much more warm than she was in the book, in my opinion. She's excellent in the film, and she looks stunning. Bana is okay as Henry, not the Henry I had imagined but he is fine. He comes off as very comical, and awkward in the first half of the film. The child actors in the film are very strong. The plot of the film is messy and awkward - it handles the scenes with Henry and Claire(when Claire was younger), very, very well, I thought but the scenes with them near the same age not as well. I can't put my finger on it, but everything just seemed so misplaced. The score is horrendous, and makes moments comical or tense when they're not. The ending, like FL said, is drastically different from the book and not in a good way, as we saw with My Sister's Keeper, though that's really more of a personal choice. The biggest problem with the film, is something that is common with many book-to-film adaptations, the subtraction of moments and and key characters, and what not. Many things are changed, and not for the better, but in this particular case it makes the film feel very awkward because when it changes, it changes the story that the book presented so well. Things such as Henry's running is never explained, when they win the lottery is drastically different, the aforementioned ending, the wedding, the choosing of their home, so on and so forth, and one can say I am nitpicking, with this story a lot needed to be included for it to not only make sense, but flow properly. Eh. C

Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:25 am
Wallflower

Anyone feel like spoiling some of the changes from the book to the movie?

This was a letdown. It jumps into things too fast and you don't get a chance to care. Eric Bana and Rachel McAdams are both good on their own, but together they have no real chemistry. The ending should be sad, but you don't care enough about these two and their plight for it to be all that devastating. I didn't really get into the movie until the wedding, and then I found it decent. But it's very flawed and things aren't well explained. You basically go away thinking "That doesn't make any sense." I'd say it's best if you don't overthink it, but it's impossible not to have at least one question pop into your head about what goes on during the course of this movie, and if you do you're screwed. It doesn't take much to find holes in this one.

Now I probably sound like I didn't like it at all, but that's not the case. I thought it was decent, just incredibly flawed. I thought "The Notebook" was overrated, but by comparison it almost seems like a masterpiece. "The Time Traveler's Wife" promised to be achingly romantic (at least it was an unspoken promise), but it's not even somewhat romantic. There was definitely a good romantic story in here somewhere, but it's completely mishandled. In fact, the more I talk and think about it, the less I like it.

This is definitely best as a DVD rental.

Grade: 6/10 (C+)

Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:12 am
Devil's Advocate

spencer101f wrote:
but AS SOON AS that horrid question came into my mind, "Couldn't he have just died and NOT been able to time travel back?," my grade dropped to a B. There's no point in him dying if he can still time travel basically.

Yes, it's cliche and filled with numerous plot holes and questionable concepts, but all in all, it creates some magic and includes something other romances lack: some originality, substance, and most importantly, heart.

Think you misunderstood it. When she meets Bana at the end, it's the younger alive version traveling to the future past his own life... like when he met the 10 year old Elba. When he's dead, he's dead.

Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:52 am

Several friends have told me this is based on a great book. If it is, the guy who adapted the screenplay must REALLY suck.

It's a pretty bad screenplay, pretty bland directing, pretty flawed execution and pretty off key acting. I like Eric Bana and I really like Rachel McAdams, however they are at their very least likeable here. McAdams just seems confused and unsure of what she is supposed to be doing here, and bana.....I don't know what happened, he was just so dull and unlikeable. I wanted to walk up to the screen and say "wtf happened to your charisma!? Did it disappear while you were traveling in time?"
Seriously though, this isn't even a movie. It's a random collection of scenes, none of which are particularly interesting, engagin, or realistic on their own. Maybe if it had been pulled together into a film I could've kind of enjoyed this, but it wasn't at all.

And honestly, I'm not even gonna get started on the plot holes and lack of logic in the screenplay.

3/10.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:33 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Shack wrote:
spencer101f wrote:
but AS SOON AS that horrid question came into my mind, "Couldn't he have just died and NOT been able to time travel back?," my grade dropped to a B. There's no point in him dying if he can still time travel basically.

Think you misunderstood it. When she meets Bana at the end, it's the younger alive version traveling to the future past his own life... like when he met the 10 year old Elba. When he's dead, he's dead.

No... he's not.

He traveled past when he died. Whether or not it was "present" him... he was still there. Being there, alive = not dead.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Sep 05, 2009 2:36 am
The Wall

6/10 -> C

While it introduces an interesting concept it never fully utilizes the possibilities. It plays too much on sadness and irony of things. The characters never feel fully fleshed out. I never cared about their relationship as much as the movie suggested I should.

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:49 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 42 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next