Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince 

What grade would you give this film?
A 65%  65%  [ 30 ]
B 24%  24%  [ 11 ]
C 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 46

Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Quote:
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince is a 2009 fantasy-drama film directed by David Yates and based on the novel of the same name by J. K. Rowling. It is the sixth instalment in the Harry Potter film series, written by Steve Kloves and produced by David Heyman and David Barron. The story follows Harry Potter's sixth year at Hogwarts as he becomes obsessed with a mysterious textbook, falls in love and attempts to retrieve a memory that holds the key to Lord Voldemort's downfall. The film stars Daniel Radcliffe as Harry Potter, alongside Rupert Grint and Emma Watson as Harry's best friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger. The supporting cast features Michael Gambon, Jim Broadbent, Alan Rickman, Tom Felton and Helena Bonham Carter.

Filming began on 24 September 2007, with the film being released in cinemas worldwide on 15 July 2009, one day short of the fourth anniversary of the corresponding novel's release. In everywhere but the United States, the sixth film was simultaneously released in regular cinemas and IMAX 3D in all countries. Due to North American theaters having a several week commitment by Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen, the IMAX 3D release of the film occurred on 29 July, two weeks after its original release.

Half-Blood Prince opened to critical acclaim along with instant commercial success, breaking the record for the biggest single-day worldwide gross of all time. In five days the film made $394 million, breaking the record for biggest five-day worldwide gross in history. With a total gross of $934 million, it became the 8th highest grossing movie of all time and the second highest-grossing film of 2009 (behind Avatar). It is currently the 13th highest-grossing movie of all time worldwide unadjusted for inflation. The film attained a mix of awards and nominations, including gaining recognition at the 82nd Academy Awards for Best Cinematography and the 63rd British Academy Film Awards for Best Special Visual Effects and Best Production Design. Half-Blood Prince remains one of the most positively reviewed films within the series among film critics; at the time of its release, it became the third best Potter film on review aggregators Rotten Tomatoes and Metacritic. Critics praised the film's "emotionally satisfying" story, direction, cinematography, visuals and music.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:17 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
harry potter 6

I got to see the film monday night at a screening and to my extreme surprise the theater wasn't full. That was a very terrible promotional job when you don't give away enough tickets to a free harry potter screening to pack the theater.

I've always liked the harry potter series after not watching the first one in the theaters because I thought it was too "kiddie" but after I had watched it on dvd I was hooked. I'm actually interested in learning more about the characters and storyline. This new addition does a good job at continuing that story line and keeping you updated on what's new with the characters.

I think my favorite non-lead character is Luna just because she's so unusual and unique. Plus, the voice tone used by that girl has turned out to be quite perfect.
Spoiler: show
I was extremely surprised that Snape has turned out to be a bad guy. I've found his character to be very interesting as well especially after they showed that flashback scene with him with Harry's dad but I guess it makes a bit of sense now. He's been holding a grudge for a very long time I guess. I wish his turn hadn't been revealed so early in the movie but I guess there was no way around that maybe. They did leaving you guess about who would possibly die in the end if you hadn't read the book like moi.

One other thing that was disappointing to me was that there wasn't a real climax to this movie. Yeah, there was some use of magic toward the end but I was underwhelmed by how the conclusion played out. I did find most of the parts in between interesting.

The first thing I did do, however, after watching this movie was head to Barnes and bought the paperback of deathly hallows because I'm dying to know what happens and I'm not waiting till 11/2010 just to find out half of the end, but I'm loving what I'm reading so far.

grade - b

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:18 am
i break the rules, so i don't care

C-/D+

Exhaustingly boring. Tries to set up the next movie and forgets to tell the story in the process. Not even Rowling went that far into turning things into a soap opera.

Changes a lot of the simple things in the book, that could have easily been filmed.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:20 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I thought it was fantastic and it's probably my second favorite film of the series so far after Goblet.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:16 am
Profile YIM
ef star star kay

Steve Kloves has brought back the same problem(s) I had with previous Harry Potter's films, The Order of the Phoenix excluded; uneven pacing, spending too much time focusing on sub-plot, too much of small details that didn't really add up anything to the film theme of the overall storyline. Though, he handled the teen romance plot line quite okay (I just wish the film wasn't centered too much on this part, Twilight's impact? I don't know). The casts improved all around (maybe with the exception of Emma Watson). I was particularly impressed with two of the young actor in this film; Tom Felton, Bonnie Wright. Felton surprisingly handled his complex character very well, far better than my expectation. And Wright was naturally pitch-perfect; not too shallow, not too much.

David Yates is brilliant. And it shows in many brilliant moments in this film. Even in parts I don't like, admittedly they were still well-done scenes, just kind of being in the wrong film.

And wow, Delbonnel certainly didn't disappoint me. The film looked beautiful and 'made with style'. His best work to date? I say 'Yes'.

I need to see this again. But right now A-/B+. Delbonnel made the film.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 am
Extraordinary

I really enjoyed it and thought it was a great movie. It was the funniest of the series. The end was epic like the book even without the battle which the movie didn't need really. I thought the acting was top notch especially Gambon, Broadbent, Rickman, and Grint. Rupert is a very funny actor and I think he will have the best career of the trio once these films are over. As for grade, I gave it an A- but would need to watch it again to decide. I do think I liked it better than GOF though.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:34 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

I enjoyed the film immensely, except for the score. The humor has been upped from previous films, the same for the romance, but they were employed well and functioned as a good change-of-pace.

The Potter films have never been known for great acting, but-for a few individuals, except here it was very good. Gone is Gambon's mean and slightly crazed Dumbledore and in its place is a more accurate portrayal of the wise, brave, somewhat sad, and eccentric Dumbledore that so many fans love.

Good:

- Slughorn's speech about the lily and the fish.
- The entire Felix Felicis sequence, particularly the Aragog portion
- Dumbledore's death was emotional, which I did not except due to knowing of it already.
- The cave.
- Draco comes across as a very troubled and somewhat tragic figure. Felton in the previous films certainly never portrayed any depth, but here it was a plesent surprise.
- Sectumsempra curse works better in the film than in the book. More subtle.
- I liked the raising of the wands as a replacement for the funeral.
- All young Voldemort scenes.
- Cinematography. Particularly the cave and the much more chilling feel of the previously warm and cozy castle.

Not bad, but could have been better:

- I missed the DA battling the Death Eaters during the battle for Hogwarts.
- There was a very poor transition between Draco seeing the dead bird to Lavender looking at Ron in the Great Hall.
- Harry's presence at Dumbledore's death is different and I would have preferred if he had been frozen, but I think the scene still works because Dumbledore had drummed into Harry the requirement of obeying his orders.
- I liked the attack on the Weasley's home, but that could have been axed.
- I would have liked to have had a DADA scene with Snape.

Bad:
- The score, or perhaps that I did not notice it and that some pieces seemed recycled.
- I thought Ginny's acting was a bit stiff.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:54 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I dunno... I felt like the book was much more soap-opera-ish, especially in the scene at the hospital wing at the end. I liked that they cut out all the bitchy!Tonks stuff and what-not. The infirmary scene in the book felt so weird with everyone talking about relationships right after a horrible tragedy... It felt strange, and I'm glad it was left out of the movie.

I was kinda disappointed that they left out Snape yelling "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!" at Harry at the end, but I found I didn't really miss it as Alan said it all in his eyes. I mean, damn, Alan Rickman was all over the subtle emotions playing on his face for this movie. It was like watching a really good silent film. He didn't really have many lines at all, but had good screentime (compared to the previous movies; one would argue he wasn't in it enough considering his connection to the title, but that was a problem of the book, too) and used that screentime to its fullest. I do kinda wish they'd shown at least one class period of DADA, but oh well. I liked the paralleling done with Bella calling him a coward near the beginning and then Harry doing it at the end. My poor Snape looked just as tortured as Draco throughout this movie. And, yeah, Tom Felton was AMAZING!!

I actually was pleased that they made the infiltration into Hogwarts more subdued than the book. To me it made the Death Eaters seem a bit more confident and competent, being able to quietly sneak in, get the deed done, and get out. But of course Bella is as wonderfully crazy as ever and just HAD to make some noise to herald their way out. I LOVED the bit when she blew stuff up in the Great Hall. Very powerful. Anyway, I understand the filmmakers' reasoning that has been given for cutting down on the end: it would feel slightly redundant to have a big battle at Hogwarts at the end of the sixth only to have another at the end of the seventh. The giant battle at Hogwarts in DH is THE battle of the entire series. This stealthy infiltration will make the battle at the end of DH2 stand out better as THE battle.

I thought I was gonna cry at the end, but found myself not as emotionally engaged as when I read the book. Then again, this last time I reread the book, I wasn't as affected by it as I was the first time either.

I actually cried a bit at the burrow attack scene. The look on Molly's face was *devastating*.

All in all, the BEST of the HP movies, and I'm not surprised. OOTP was my favorite, and I think it's due to David Yates. And as much as I liked Goldenberg's script for Peter Pan, OOTP *did* feel a tad rushed (though I think that might have been WB's fault for pressuring the filmmakers to make a shorter film). So... yes, never thought I'd say this, but I think I might actually be okay with Steve Kloves coming back.

Grade: Solid A

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:07 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

I need to see it again. I guess I just liked the first half so much that the changes
made in the final 1/3 jarred me. The only thing I didn't like in the first half of the movie
was the Burrow attack. What exactly was the point of that? They could have used that
time for so many other things.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:20 pm
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

SolC9 wrote:
I need to see it again. I guess I just liked the first half so much that the changes
made in the final 1/3 jarred me. The only thing I didn't like in the first half of the movie
was the Burrow attack. What exactly was the point of that? They could have used that

I think the filmmaker's intent was to show that the Death Eaters were a credible and merciless threat and that you aren't (yes, I know this is obvious) safe in your own home. Basically just upped the ante for them. It also was employed too show the strengthening bond between Harry and Ginny. However, I agree the scene could have been cut.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:24 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

Was it just me or did it seem like the first part of the movie was almost word for word from the book? I guess that is one of the redeeming qualities of Steve Kloves--he's good at putting in word-for-word dialogue from the books. It felt almost surreal watching Dumbledore & Harry's trip to see Slughorn; I had just recently re-read the book, and I felt like I was reading it again... AMAZING.

I hope they split Deathly Hallows where the rumors say they will. It'll make DH2 almost entirely the Battle at Hogwarts and hopefully means we'll get a GOOD representation of the Prince's Tale; I was rather disappointed by Snape's Worst Memory in OOTP... BUT I do know they filmed more than was shown in the movie. But if I recall correctly, for some reason they didn't put that on the DVD... Very strange.

Man, I just can't believe how unbelievably awesome this movie was. All the adult actors seemed like they were realizing finally that these aren't kiddie movies anymore and therefore stepped up their game (except Alan Rickman, who has really always been on the mark for the entire series; of course, if I remember right, Alan knew more about Snape than any other person in the world besides JK; that probably helped).

Joy

Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:35 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

SolC9 wrote:

Everybody's talking about the threat of Voldemort and the Death Eaters but it's always just talk. The filmmakers felt - pretty rightly, I think - that you need to actually establish that threat in the movie, so they added the Burrow attack (and JK Rowling signed off on it).

Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:11 pm

The Dark Shape wrote:
SolC9 wrote:

Everybody's talking about the threat of Voldemort and the Death Eaters but it's always just talk. The filmmakers felt - pretty rightly, I think - that you need to actually establish that threat in the movie, so they added the Burrow attack (and JK Rowling signed off on it).

That's what the battle in hogwarts at the end is for. Which was completely axed. In my mind they replaced the hogwarts battle scene, which was very climactic and intense, with the attack on Weasley's house, which was somewhat intense but mostly I just pictured the filmakers saying: "well....it's halfway through and their hasn't been much action, let's blow up a house!"
My other qualm was that this did a good job with the Ron/Hermoine/lavander triangle, better than the book actually, but it did not do nearly as wonderful a job with the Harry/Ginny romance, which felt phoned in and confusing here, and was one of my favorite parts of the entire series in the book. So that really ticked me off.

Other than that, great movie. The cinematography is truly excellent and Yates proves again that he's the best thing that could happen to the Potter franchise. The film was neither rushed nor left too much out, it felt well-paced and far more whole than GOF, which I maintain was the most rushed and hurried film yet. Yates also did a nice job at keeping the scenes rather low key and resisting the impulse to turn this into a bunch of teen melo-drama, as was done at many segments in GOF and POA. I need to rewatch the 2nd 3rd and 5th films but I'm pretty sure this is my favorite in the franchise so far.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:03 pm
Extraordinary

I fully support removing the Death Eaters vs. Order scene. The film works fine without it, and they're right, it would've proven repetitious with Deathly Hallows. But the point they were making - and David Heyman has said this - was that they needed to actually show danger instead of just talking about it. So halfway through the film they're attacked. The Burrow attack doesn't replace the finale at Hogwarts. That was taken out for other reasons.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:27 pm
This was a beautiful movie. I've never been that into Harry Potter but this one really did get me excited for the conclusion(s!) on the way.

All the performances were great and I was about to say "especially..." but then I realized I was going to list just about everyone. Gambon, Radcliffe, Rickman, Broadbent, the actress who plays Luna, Grint, Watson, Felton, Bonham-Carter, etc. There really was no weak link here, and the whole sequence where Harry was high--er, "lucky"--was hilarious. Radcliffe can be a pretty funny guy, apparently. His "Sir...?" said in that same tone as Broadbent's "Harry...?" was great. Also, I'm surprised this was PG as it was really quite intense and dark (and out-and-out scary for kids) in some parts, but the darker the better. Bring on that hard-R Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows!

I don't have enough nice things to say about the movie and I'm really looking forward to the big finish.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:51 pm
We had our time together

Still not as good as Azkaban but it was almost there at times. I loved it, much more than I thought I would.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:20 pm
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

tina_als_girl wrote:
I dunno... I felt like the book was much more soap-opera-ish, especially in the scene at the hospital wing at the end. I liked that they cut out all the bitchy!Tonks stuff and what-not. The infirmary scene in the book felt so weird with everyone talking about relationships right after a horrible tragedy... It felt strange, and I'm glad it was left out of the movie.

I was kinda disappointed that they left out Snape yelling "DON'T CALL ME COWARD!" at Harry at the end, but I found I didn't really miss it as Alan said it all in his eyes. I mean, damn, Alan Rickman was all over the subtle emotions playing on his face for this movie. It was like watching a really good silent film. He didn't really have many lines at all, but had good screentime (compared to the previous movies; one would argue he wasn't in it enough considering his connection to the title, but that was a problem of the book, too) and used that screentime to its fullest. I do kinda wish they'd shown at least one class period of DADA, but oh well. I liked the paralleling done with Bella calling him a coward near the beginning and then Harry doing it at the end. My poor Snape looked just as tortured as Draco throughout this movie. And, yeah, Tom Felton was AMAZING!!

I actually was pleased that they made the infiltration into Hogwarts more subdued than the book. To me it made the Death Eaters seem a bit more confident and competent, being able to quietly sneak in, get the deed done, and get out. But of course Bella is as wonderfully crazy as ever and just HAD to make some noise to herald their way out. I LOVED the bit when she blew stuff up in the Great Hall. Very powerful. Anyway, I understand the filmmakers' reasoning that has been given for cutting down on the end: it would feel slightly redundant to have a big battle at Hogwarts at the end of the sixth only to have another at the end of the seventh. The giant battle at Hogwarts in DH is THE battle of the entire series. This stealthy infiltration will make the battle at the end of DH2 stand out better as THE battle.

I thought I was gonna cry at the end, but found myself not as emotionally engaged as when I read the book. Then again, this last time I reread the book, I wasn't as affected by it as I was the first time either.

I actually cried a bit at the burrow attack scene. The look on Molly's face was *devastating*.

All in all, the BEST of the HP movies, and I'm not surprised. OOTP was my favorite, and I think it's due to David Yates. And as much as I liked Goldenberg's script for Peter Pan, OOTP *did* feel a tad rushed (though I think that might have been WB's fault for pressuring the filmmakers to make a shorter film). So... yes, never thought I'd say this, but I think I might actually be okay with Steve Kloves coming back.

Grade: Solid A

They could also use the added burrow attack scene as a lead in to Molly vs Bella for the next film. And please do not take out Molly calling her a bitch.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 pm
Profile WWW
Cream of the Crop

I have a feeling JK will make sure that stays in. And as much as many people (including myself) talk down on Steve Kloves, I know he's a huge fan and would totally make sure that's in the script.

If they cut that out... No, I just can't even get my mind to wrap around that idea.

Joy

Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:45 pm
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

The producers have said they removied the DA battle at the end because since there is already a huge fight at Hogwarts in HP8, having the one in here would kind of be useless.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:26 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Old Reliable Harry Potter saves the summer. Truly the most stable franchise of the Decade. Finally with its midnight, heres hoping for a huge stateside reception.

Potter through and through, while I wasn't that enthusiastic about Yates coming back, Order has gone from a good A film to an A+ over the many rewatches, in the same sense the only real flaw is that this film and the last is mere, warming up for whats more to come. But whats there is awesome through and through. About on Par with Goblet and Order, and still just a notch below Azkaban as like said below that gets more for feeling like a complete film, and no cliffhanger. A+ bring on the next one, hoepfully in less time.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:31 pm
Veteran

A-. Second to PoA for me, and above GoF.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:58 pm

eww, i hate people's praise for Azkaban. it's just so shit. "let's butcher the book for artistic expression."

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:52 pm

jmovies wrote:
The producers have said they removied the DA battle at the end because since there is already a huge fight at Hogwarts in HP8, having the one in here would kind of be useless.

now that's just stupid bullshit reasoning to me. because they could have left the huge fight open ended with a "this is not over" ending, because after all the 7th book is being told in two films.

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:56 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

What the fuck, people? It's reasonably well-directed, but mostly just dull.

Last edited by Johnny Dollar on Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:53 am
"no rank"

Harry Potter VI committed a massive cinematic sin, it's incredibly boring. No amount of potions or spells can undo that curse.

C-

Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:18 am
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next