Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Up 

What grade would you give this film?
A 78%  78%  [ 35 ]
B 16%  16%  [ 7 ]
C 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
D 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
F 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 45

Up 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Up
Up

Quote:
Up is a 2009 computer-animated comedy-adventure film produced by Pixar Animation Studios, distributed by Walt Disney Pictures and presented in Disney Digital 3-D. The film premiered on May 29, 2009 in North America and opened the 2009 Cannes Film Festival, becoming the first animated and 3D film to do so. Up is director Pete Docter's second feature-length film, after Monsters, Inc., and features the voices of Edward Asner, Christopher Plummer, Bob Peterson, and Jordan Nagai. It is Pixar's tenth feature film and the studio's first to be presented in Disney Digital 3-D, and is accompanied in theaters and DVD releases by the short film Partly Cloudy.

The film centers on an elderly widower named Carl Fredricksen and an earnest young Wilderness Explorer named Russell who fly to South America in a house suspended by helium balloons. The film has received overwhelmingly positive reviews, with a rating of 98% on Rotten Tomatoes (the best reviewed wide-released film of 2009 on the site), and grossed over $731 million worldwide It was awarded the Academy Awards for Best Animated Feature and Best Original Score in 2010.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu May 28, 2009 8:00 pm
King Albert!

Post Re: Up
Saw this at an employee screening.

Another winner. Not as brilliant as Wall-E, but still enjoyable. It takes time to get used to the characters, but once the story advances, and the plot twists come in, you will be rooting for them all the way. Unlike other CG films to this era, the comedy here is not the main focus this time (which will please alot of cartoon buffs), instead, the sentiment of the story and characters are the main focal point here, not the mention, the use of music in place of dialogue in most scenes. I will rank this middle of Pixar's previous efforts.

Grade - A-

Fri May 29, 2009 3:31 am
Profile WWW
Powered By Hate

A total gas. Maybe not as mindblowing as WALL-E, but just as moving and sweetly optimistic without going into treacle or stupidity. Love the air of nostalgia and adventure to it. A great mood enhancer.

Fri May 29, 2009 5:38 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

It's good. I enjoyed myself. But I couldn't help but be a bit disappointed. It's not the transcendent experience the last two Pixar movies were. To my surprise, I found the action-oriented third act to be the most engrossing and enjoyable part of the film. After a strong start, the middle section of the film is kinda draggy and way the hell too cutesy.

The short beforehand, Partly Cloudy, was aces.

Fri May 29, 2009 10:58 pm
Forum General

So less than Wall-E so far?
How's it compared to Rat-Nemo-Incredibles? I liked those better than Wall-E

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Fri May 29, 2009 11:22 pm
Profile WWW
---------

Solid, fun film! It's got all the Pixar staples: great story, fantastic characters, and amazing visuals. I thought more focus would be on the floating house, but not so much. I loooved the talking dog and little kid. The first 10 minutes is about the saddest sequence ever, almost cried. Overall, like others said, doesn't pull in you into this experience like many of the other Pixar films. The ending also wasn't that satisfying, I mean I loved the last scene, but it seemed like there could be a more fitting end.

B+

Sat May 30, 2009 12:30 am
The Awesome

i agree with middle of the pack. better than ratatouille and maybe on the scale of wall-e but not as good as toy story, monsters inc, finding nemo, and the incredibles, which are pixar's best imo. still a great movie though. very heartfelt and emotional thats for sure.

A

"Cinematic Adventures."- Dane Cook

Sat May 30, 2009 12:33 am
Team Kris

The "Prologue" was truly heartbreaking (miscarriage! In a Pixar film!).

I enjoyed this film. The landscapes were breathtaking. The humor felt a little "obvious" in the middle part (unlike the subtlety of previous Pixar works) but the Prologue, first part, and the wild chase/action-packed final section made it all worth it. The dogs were awesome (Cone of Shame!!!) and the villain played by Christopher Plummer was very menacing (albeit hastily characterized).

The line I loved the most was Dug's. I have just met you, and I love you! What a dumb, wonderful dog.

Sat May 30, 2009 2:39 am
Team Kris

And I agree with yoshue with Partly Cloudy. Good stuff.

Sat May 30, 2009 2:40 am
I heet the canadian!

I'm a bit surprised by the "negative" response here. I thought Up was the most emotionally poignant Pixar film I've seen, and managed to maintain great humor throughout too.

More thoughts once I don't feel like collapsing, but an A+ from me obviously.

Sat May 30, 2009 3:23 am

This film is cheesy shitty mediocre crap compared to Wall-e. However, that is far more a testament to the excellence of Wall-e than the problems of this film. I believe you all know how I feel about wall-e, compare this to any other animated film ever and it is an excellent film.
I agree with a lot of what yosh said here. Although i never found the film to be "too cutsey," I loved the cute moments. The film starts out with one hell of a bang, The first ten minutes are some of the best I've seen in animation in quite a while. It stays strong for the next ten as it sets up the plot and introduces the other characters. However when the characters make it to south america it is kind of slow and a little too "normal" and in sync with most animated films. Once they introduce the "villain" it all picks up again and when the adventure really kicks in I really loved it.
Overall it is in mid tier Pixar films. Not near the greatness of wall-e or the undying entertainment of The Incredibles, but more funny than monsters inc. or enjoyable than Rat (not that that wasn't incredibly enjoyable).
5/5

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Last edited by Michael A on Sat May 30, 2009 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 30, 2009 3:31 am
Extraordinary

Oi. I cried - quite a bit, actually. It was wonderful. Don't really know where to rank it amongst Pixar's offerings, but it's certainly excellent.

Sat May 30, 2009 5:52 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Finally a great movie this year! It sucked me in from the beginning. Kept me engaged throughout and was beautiful to look at! Going to see it in 3D sometime this week.

Hilarious. Heartbreaking. Heartfelt.

Dug. Was. Awesome.

****/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 30, 2009 11:08 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Also, how in the hell are they able to convey so much emotion in their characters with no words?! First it was Wall-E's beginning last year, and now part of the beginning of Up.

It's astounding.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 30, 2009 2:04 pm
The Kramer

It's silly to expect anything less than greatness from Pixar.

Sat May 30, 2009 4:46 pm

It's a shame that everything they do is only "fantastic" when they showed us that they can be "perfect" with wall-e. I highly doubt anything they do in the future will be able to find that bar again, and find their way on to my coveted list of "a perfect ten" films. Nonetheless, in my mind they are the greatest animation studio ever (just cause disney was first doesn't mean their best.)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat May 30, 2009 5:23 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Newt is going to be awesome. And maybe one day we'll get The Incredibles 2.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 30, 2009 5:30 pm

I don't even know what Newt is about, the imdb screen won't tell me anything.

Sat May 30, 2009 5:33 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Quote:
What happens when the last remaining male and female blue-footed newts on the planet are forced together by science to save the species, and they can't stand each other? That's the problem facing Newt and Brooke, heroes of "newt," the Pixar film by seven-time Academy Award(R) winner for sound Gary Rydstrom, and director of Pixar's Oscar-nominated short, "Lifted." Newt and Brooke embark on a perilous, unpredictable adventure and discover that finding a mate never goes as planned, even when you only have one choice. Love, it turns out, is not a science.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat May 30, 2009 5:43 pm

Comparing Up to Nemo:

[WARNING SPOILERS]

Both feature a sad opening prologue, both involving the death of the protagonist's wife.

Both have the protagonist make a promise in the opening that is a motivation that is centered around the protagonist's character.

Both protagonists are stubborn towards their partners with their stubbornness attributed to the loss of their wife.

Both protagonists team up with a joyful bubbly partner who seems like an anchor at first and only gets them into trouble.

Both of the protagonist's partners have hearts of gold and serve as a foil to the protagonist.

Both films use the drama and characterization of the protagonist to appeal to the adult crowd, while relying on their misadventures in well an adventure themed story to appeal to the kids.

Both protagonists must give up their initial flawed internal goals (Marlin gives up being having full control over Nemo, Carl gives up trying to continue living as if Ellie were still alive) in order to save their partner (Marlin saves the school of fish and Dory, Carl saves Kevin and Russel)

Both have an overall uplifting tone with moments of sorrow that appropriately slow down the rather fast pace of the overall film.

The only key difference is in the style and direction of the film. Nemo has Stanton's environmental touch, while Up has Docter's emotional one.

Sat May 30, 2009 7:24 pm
Stanley Cup

their best film since Nemo, easily. I found this to be a far more emotional film than Walle, Rat, Cars, and incredibles. I was simply amazed by a lot of it. The humor worked and all in all was a pretty fantastic film.

A-

Sat May 30, 2009 7:54 pm
The French Dutch Boy

I don't think Up is as good as Wall-E, but Up managed to get me closer to tears than Wall-E did. The entire plot surrounding Carl and his deceased wife was very poignant and felt incredibly genuine. I was moved several times.

Dug was also a complete joy. His dumb innocence and the funny stuff he said was just great humour, and I was surprised by how fun the interplay was between him and the rest of the dogs. I wasn't aware that the rest of the dogs would play such a role (and could talk just like Dug), as the commercials only gave away Dug.

Oh, and the short 'Partly Cloudy' was brilliant! Very creative. :D

Overall, another terrific instalment from Pixar.

Peace,
Mike

Sat May 30, 2009 9:32 pm
Sbil

Up is another enchanting delight from Pixar. The 10-minute prologue is one of the most poignant and incredible sections ever in any animated film. Moving on from that, the rest of the film is gloriously entertaining and sentimental in equal parts. This isn't quite as good as WALL-E but it's definitely in the same league as Ratatouille. A total joy to watch. A-

Sat May 30, 2009 11:55 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

Pixar does it again in this wildly enjoyable piece for the entire family. The film really shows how mature the studio is getting while still adding that nice family touch. The story is rich and enjoying and while it is not as strong as Wall-E and Ratatouille (which are in my top 3 Pixar films), it still provides a fun time at the movies. The entire cast is great from Carl to the adorable dog Doug. The film's first ten minutes may be though one of Pixar's if not one of the best overall opening sequences I have ever seen. Bravo Pixar, now its time to get ready for Toy Story 3! A

Sun May 31, 2009 1:30 pm
Profile WWW
The Kramer

I do have to say that the 3D aspect was completely pointless, and actually took more away from the film than it added. It was difficult to really appreciate the colors of Up with those dark glasses on. I think it would be better without the distraction.

Sun May 31, 2009 1:58 pm
Reply to topic   [ 119 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next