Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 23 posts ] 
 Be Cool 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 5 ]
C 30%  30%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 20%  20%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 10

Be Cool 
College Boy Z

Post Be Cool
Be Cool

Quote:
Be Cool is a 2005 crime-comedy film adapted from Elmore Leonard's 1999 novel of the same name and the sequel to Leonard's 1990 novel Get Shorty (itself adapted into a hit 1995 film of the same name) about mobster Chili Palmer's entrance into the film industry.

The film adaptation of Be Cool began production in 2003. It was directed by F. Gary Gray, produced by Danny DeVito (who produced and co-starred in the first film), and starred John Travolta, reprising his role from the first film. The movie opened in March 2005 to generally mixed reviews, and was released to video and DVD distribution on June 7, 2005.

Last edited by zingy on Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 9:26 pm
Superman: The Movie

It's no Get Shorty but it's still a pretty funny film.

B+

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Where will you be?

It's no Get Shorty but it's still a pretty funny film.

B+

Amen, I really can't understand all the terrible reviews. It wasn't a classic, but it was consistently entertaining and the script and acting managed to make up for the subpar directing skills of F. Gary Gray (who seemed to be asleep at the wheel despite having made some good movies in the past). Cedric the Entertainer, Vince Vaughn, and of all people THE ROCK managed to be hillarious. I've liked him since The Rundown, but he would've stole the show if the rest of the characters weren't great too. John Travolta did just what was asked of him by playing it laid back and cool, though his chemistry with Uma wasn't all that great. Christina Millian was better then Thurman in my mind easy. That aside, it went on awhile but I was always entertained, and laughed out loud at several parts (like Cedric the Entertainer's monologue about black people in society and racism, FANTASTIC stuff). Overall, I'd give it a strong B+.

Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:46 pm
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Dissappointing. I didnt find the movie that funny at all. With the exception of the Rock, every single character failed at trying to be funny and I felt like the plot about trying to bring a common girl out from rags to riches so over used. It felt like I was watching American Idol the movie combined with some reality tv bits. Overall, the movie has failed so badly and every single one of the characters with the exception of Christina Millian and the Rock were bland. Vince Vaughan tries to hard in the movie and was way over the top, John Travolta doesnt do much in the movie and Uma Thurman was just wasted space in the movie. I did love the Rock's performance and he was the funniest character in the movie

C

Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:53 pm
Romosexual!

some funny bits but overall the movie SUKED!

D

best parts were Uma's ARSE :D and all of Vince,Christina and the rapper from Outkast scenes..whathisname.

Last edited by Rev on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:16 pm
Romosexual!

oops

Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:17 pm
Indiana Jones IV

The movie starts off slowly, and seems to drag a little, but it does pick up, and when it does, I thought it was hysterical. The theatre was packed, and everyone was laughing constantly. The plot was pretty nonexistant, and seemed to be an afterthought in the movie. If you're looking for a story, this isn't the movie for you. However, if you're looking for laughs, I'd definately reccomend it. The Rock was hilarious as the gay bodyguard and had me laughing in every scene he was in. Andre 3000 was hysterical as well, and one of my favorite characters in the movie. Vince Vaughn, however, made the movie for me. I thought he was hysterical, and he alone was worth the ticket price. The movie was a little on the longer side, however, and probably could have been shortened a bit. It had a few references to Get Shorty which made me smile, and even the whole Uma/John dancing reference to Pulp Fiction was cute. Overall, it was a good movie, and you should go see it if you want a laugh.

B+

Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

B+

pretty funny :cool:

Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:26 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Did you catch the inside lines by Travolta in this movie.

- He says, you can only say 1 curse to keep a PG-13 rating - He says FUCK THAT - I'm done. I'm done was clever - was that the only curse word in the movie. Love this if it is true.

- He tells how he hates sequals.

- He tells how you can't start a movie with someone getting killed - and then the 3 people start naming movies where that happened.

Think there were others but can't remember them right now.

--------

Also to the above who liked the Rock, I agree but also I liked Vince V, for most of the movie.

Sat Mar 12, 2005 10:46 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

I enjoyed Be Cool. It wasn't as great as I hoped for or from what I heard, but it was an entertaining movie. The best part about the movie is The Rock, as he steals the movie from everyone. All his scenes were funny. Vince Vaughn was also pretty funny, but he tried a little too hard. The lovely Christina Millian also did really good as the undiscovered singer waiting to break out. I wasn't all that impressed with John Travolta or Uma Thurman, but they did good. Nothing great. Cedric was decent. His whole speech racism with the russian was great. Overall, it could have been better, but it was worth a watch, and was pretty funny. B-

Sun Mar 13, 2005 4:56 pm
Teenage Dream

Grade: B+ (currently #3 of the year behind Hitch & Cursed)

Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:36 pm
now we know

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Mar 15, 2005 3:46 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I really liked this one. It wasn't a masterpiece, but it was very fun and entertaining. I loved Christina Milian and The Rock here. Definitely recommended.

7/10 ( B )

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:06 pm
Profile YIM
Mr. and Mrs. Smith

Flawed but entertaining, and the cast is top-notch.

B

Last edited by tombraider17 on Sun Apr 17, 2005 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:45 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I called this movie "The Poor Man's Oceans Twelve" because the cast isn't as A-list as Oceans Twelve, nor is the budget as big (it's only half as big). But, that doesn't mean it isn't better! While Be Cool isn't great, it's... cool! Yes, lame. But still, it's an enjoying film that never goes too far, nor does it not go far enough. It just takes a nice, slow pace, with a few laughs here and there (although the majority of laughs are supplied by Vince Vaughn, Cedric, and The Rock). Not perfect, but not bad, either. Like I said, just cool. Grade: B

Sat Apr 16, 2005 10:29 pm
We had our time together

What the hell were they thinking? This movie was really bad from beginning to end. D

Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:31 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

i enjoyed the movie pretty much. Uma Thurman is very sexy in the movie Travolta is still very good performing a cool Chili Palmer. but nothing special. just an entertaining movie, that's all. B

Fri Jun 10, 2005 10:03 am
Profile ICQ WWW
La Bella Vito

Not a very good movie at all. It's mediocre at best. All of the characters are great, especially The Rock. Some parts were funny, but a lot of the jokes fall flat, and I wasn't impressed by the film. Just a wasted opportunity, that could of been so much better. Also, the musical numbers with Christina Milian was so lame and cheesy. I can't believe MGM actually greenlighted this movie, with such a ridiculous script, absolutely atrocious. :shock:

C

Sat Jun 25, 2005 10:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Extraordinary

Entertaining, but nothing special. Vince Vaughn and The Rock were a hoot though.

- C+

Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:40 am
You must have big rats

I won't say that I was disappointed because I wasn't a huge fan of the first movie either. This one was a bit worse than the first still. The cast it assembled is amazing, but the movie simply fails to properly use its potential. John Travolta is cool as ever, but Uma Thurman is utterly wasted. Vince Vaughn's comedy potential is used in a completely wrong way in this one and he doesn't ever come across as funny. Harvey Keitel did nothing to me and Danny De Vito's and James Woods' cameos were too short to be noted. Someone needs to tell Cedric the Entertainer that he is neither "entertaining" nor funny, but mostly just highly annoying. The Rock was the only other highlight of the cast next to Travolta and he actually gave me some chuckles.

Overall, it's still a decent movie with a couple of laughs here and there, but with that cast it could have been much much more. The entire movie often seem just...lazy. The cast just "was there" and tried to be laid back and cool all the time. This way you can't make a great movie. That's also a fault of the Ocean's Eleven/Twelve movies.

Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:35 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Be Cool
It's basically a toned down remake of Get Shorty in the music industry, which is less interesting as a result. Its still funny and and Travolta still plays Chili Palmer great. It's not a smart film, but its entertaining, and the PG-13 rating hurts it.

Vince Vaughn and The Rock were hysterical though

I'd give this one a solid B where the original is a Solid A

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:35 pm
now we know

Be Cool

Just watched this (haven't seen Get Shorty, well, I've seen parts) and I thought it was very good. It's a fun movie, they're all having a jolly good time and I liked it. The cast is pretty magnificent; John Travolta, Harvey Keitel, Danny Devito, Vince Vaughn, The Rock, Christina Milian, Uma Thurman, then there's the guest stars. I loved how Vince Vaughn acted like a black person, that was pretty hilarious and like a total parody of black brotha's, which I adored. I also liked The Rock in this too, he was surprisingly modest in his performance, and I like that. Travolta is as cool as you like.

Good story, lots of twists and turns, one team playing off another group and what-not, it was fun. The film has many references to film techniques and it's that self-referential material that made the film stand out from just another gangster comedy (saing "fuck" once, which they kept their promise to gain a PG-13, and the various mentions of movies and their rules). I also thought that Gary Gray did a better dancing routine between Uma and Travolta than Tarantino could muster. Now, I must get around to watch Get Shorty.

B+

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 am
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

You basically did, but it's darker and funnier, and the movie industry is just more interesting. Plus Gene Hackman, James Gandolfini, and Dennis Farina are awesome in it.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:57 pm
Reply to topic   [ 23 posts ]