Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 State of Play 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
B 43%  43%  [ 6 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 14

State of Play 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post State of Play
State of Play

Quote:
State of Play is a 2009 French-British-American political thriller film. It is an adaptation of the six-part British television serial of the same name which first aired on BBC One in 2003. The plot of the six-hour serial was condensed to fit a two-hour movie format, with the location changed to Washington, D.C. The film was directed by Kevin Macdonald from a screenplay written by Matthew Michael Carnahan, Tony Gilroy, Peter Morgan, and Billy Ray.

The film tells of a journalist's (Russell Crowe) probe into the suspicious death of a Congressman's (Ben Affleck) mistress. The supporting cast includes Rachel McAdams, Helen Mirren, Jason Bateman, Robin Wright Penn, and Jeff Daniels. Macdonald said that State of Play is influenced by the films of the 1970s and explores the topical subject of privatization of American Homeland Security and to a minor extent journalistic independence, along with the relationship between politicians and the press. It was released in North America on April 17, 2009.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:08 am
Stanley Cup

Post Re: State of Play
worst review ever

Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:24 am
Stanley Cup

Magnus wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
worst review ever

Maybe.

depending on your view?

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:16 pm
Stanley Cup

Magnus wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
worst review ever

Maybe.

depending on your view?

Depending on whether or not you've seen my other reviews.

i hate you

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm
Golfaholic

Marvellous movie. Exciting from start to finish, brillantly acted and very timely. It's not only a political thriller, but weaves the current media crisis nicely into the happenings. You have the conflict blogger (McAdams) vs. "real" journalists (Crowe), the buyouts by media groups who franchise newspapers and so on. This movie is a critics wet dream like "All the President's Men". A

Last edited by Levy on Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:20 pm
Stanley Cup

Magnus wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
i hate you

Nah.

i'm finding a new vp

Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:32 pm
Forum General

Levy wrote:
Marvellous movie. Exciting from start to finish, brillantly acted and very timely. It's not only a political thriller, but weaves the current media crisis nicely into the happenings. You have the conflict blogger (McAdams) vs. "real" journalists (Crowe), the buyouts by media groups who franchise newspapers and so on. This movie is a critics wet dream like "All the President's Men". A

hope it is this good, I did see it has a 85% RT right now.

Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 am
Veteran

With an all star cast, and a great, tight script State of Play takes full of advantage of everything it has and soars. State of Play is a really smart, well crafted thriller that provides immense entertainment. It thrusts the viewers right into the story and you are really entangled in it. It's well crafted and extremely well shot, along with well acted. Russell Crowe is fantastic; one of his best performances in a while. The rest of cast shines as well, especially McAdams who holds her own next to Crowe. With a running time of 115 minutes, the film never feels as long as it is as it keeps moving. It's a film that requires attention from the beginning but is never too confusing or layered for the audience member to get lost. It's really well done and quite entertaining and it's the type of thriller that should be made more. Well done. A

Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:55 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Seeing this tonight. Hopefully my hatred of Crowe won't make me hate it.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:01 pm
College Boy Z

Terrific.

Russell Crowe gave a great performance (unlike his boring performance in Body of Lies). And the rest of the cast really shines in here as well. Riveting from start to finish. And yeah, it's like this season's 24 in terms of the conspiracy. Which is a good thing in my book.

***1/2

Sat Apr 18, 2009 1:09 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

Crowe was actually bearable!

It was the typical thriller with twists. But it entertained me. So for that, ***/****

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:14 am
Forum General

Munkpool wrote:
Crowe was actually bearable!

It was the typical thriller with twists. But it entertained me. So for that, ***/****

typical wonder if that is a good word for this > especially since most everyone else raved about it.

Also fyi, Crowe is usually great, remember that.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:44 am
KJ's Leading Pundit

No, he's not.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Apr 18, 2009 10:47 am

Munkpool wrote:
No, he's not.

I'm with goldie on this one.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:17 pm
Forum General

John Savage wrote:
Munkpool wrote:
No, he's not.

Whose Goldie?????? Especially since you joined on Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:48 am.

I haven't seen a Goldie around in years unless you are talking about Goldie Hawn.

and PS. Don't be a PUNK, or it could or WILL come back at you 10 fold!

Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:37 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Good movie until the last 15 minutes or so. I hated the final twist. Russell was likeable I thought.

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:29 pm
A very honest-hearted fellow

Grill wrote:
John Savage wrote:
Munkpool wrote:
No, he's not.

I haven't seen a Goldie around in years unless you are talking about Goldie Hawn.

Him calling you Goldie is strange.

http://www.worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=38170

Is Crowe bloated looking in this?

Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:56 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Grill wrote:
John Savage wrote:
Munkpool wrote:
No, he's not.

:shock:

Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:28 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

A strong and thrilling movie. Russell Crowe is likeable (for the first time in a while) as is alot of the other cast including Ben Affleck, Helen Mirren, and Rachel McAdams (so happy to see her on screen again!). The film has a few slow points but they pick up right afterwards with much of the thrills and excitement that I wanted from this. The usual twists were there but it worked. WOM seems good so hopefully this stays in theaters for a while. A-

Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:23 am
Profile WWW

Grill wrote:
John Savage wrote:
Munkpool wrote:
No, he's not.

:lol: not really sure how that comment consitutes me being a punk
And from now on I will simply call you grill
may we all be appeased now? :P

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 1:21 pm
Sbil

This movie was awesome. Intelligent, gripping and entertaining from beginning to end. All of the journalistic material (particularly, the notions of the increasingly popularity of online blogs in contrast with standard newspapers) blends perfectly with the political material going on in the rest of the film. Acting from a talented cast is superb. Russell Crowe brings a likable everyman quality to the role of Cal, Ben Affleck puts his square-jawed good looks to good use, Rachel McAdams is delightful (and develops plenty of non-romantic chemistry with Crowe along the way) as the capable blogger who still has a lot to learn, Helen Mirren is fabulous as a ball-busting editor, the lovely Robin Wright Penn makes the most out of the film's most underwritten role, and an inspired Jason Bateman steals every scene he appears in. State of Play maintains a brisk sense of urgency throughout its entire running time. I even liked the ending, which some have criticized as being too rushed. This is what good thrillers are all about: it moves quickly, says some interesting things, and leaves you with things to think over when the film has ended. A-

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:12 pm
Forum General

Libs wrote:
This movie was awesome. Intelligent, gripping and entertaining from beginning to end. All of the journalistic material (particularly, the notions of the increasingly popularity of online blogs in contrast with standard newspapers) blends perfectly with the political material going on in the rest of the film. Acting from a talented cast is superb. Russell Crowe brings a likable everyman quality to the role of Cal, Ben Affleck puts his square-jawed good looks to good use, Rachel McAdams is delightful (and develops plenty of non-romantic chemistry with Crowe along the way) as the capable blogger who still has a lot to learn, Helen Mirren is fabulous as a ball-busting editor, the lovely Robin Wright Penn makes the most out of the film's most underwritten role, and an inspired Jason Bateman steals every scene he appears in. State of Play maintains a brisk sense of urgency throughout its entire running time. I even liked the ending, which some have criticized as being too rushed. This is what good thrillers are all about: it moves quickly, says some interesting things, and leaves you with things to think over when the film has ended. A-

wow, what a good cast. like most everyone.

Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:14 pm
Leader of the Pack

Best of the year, but thats not saying much so far...

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2009/04 ... ls-galore/

Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:39 am

Le Viper wrote:

This has been an extremely strong start to the year for movies. Sunshine Cleaning, Watchmen, 12 (which was released here this year), and most of all Coraline. Considering how early it still is and I have four films with an 8.5 or better, it's a great start IMHO.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:26 pm
Leader of the Pack

John Savage wrote:
Le Viper wrote:

This has been an extremely strong start to the year for movies. Sunshine Cleaning, Watchmen, 12 (which was released here this year), and most of all Coraline. Considering how early it still is and I have four films with an 8.5 or better, it's a great start IMHO.

Yeah, its been really meh for me so far... Nothing that has come out in these first 4 months will i remember come the end of the year really. Over the past couple of years, it has become really, really hard to find something that really stands out to me. Thats the one negative thing about being a critic that watches a lot of movies, you begin to dislike the majority of films that come out. But then when a freaking awesome movie comes along, it makes it all worth it.

Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next