Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Dragonball Evolution 

What grade would you give this film?
A 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
B 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
C 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
D 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
F 31%  31%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 13

Dragonball Evolution 
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Post Dragonball Evolution

Quote:
Dragonball Evolution is a 2009 American live-action film based upon the Japanese Dragon Ball media franchise. It was directed by James Wong, produced by Stephen Chow and released by 20th Century Fox. The story centers around the adventures of the lead character, Goku, around his 18th birthday, as he is asked to gather seven Dragon Balls to save the world from evil alien forces. On his journey, he meets several different characters who all join the quest and help him in his task. The film stars Justin Chatwin as Son Goku, Emmy Rossum as Bulma Briefs, James Marsters as Lord Piccolo, Jamie Chung as Chi-Chi, Chow Yun-fat as Master Roshi, Joon Park as Yamcha and Eriko Tamura as Mai. It was released in Japan and several other Asian nations on March 13, 2009, and in the United States on April 10, 2009.

Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:37 pm
Pure Phase

Post Re: Dragonball Evolution
Why did I pay to see this? What possessed me? I thought perhaps it would be colorful martial arts fun. It isn't. It's completely dull -- the storyline is both bland and convoluted and the action sequences are crippled by Z-grade VFX and dreadful production values (Styrofoam boulders aplenty). I thought James Wan, who directed the enjoyable first and third Final Destination films, would deliver the goods. He didn't, this film easily could've been made by Uwe Boll or Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever's Wych "Kaos" Kaosayananda. The cast isn't TERRIBLE, I will give the film this. Justin Chatwin, the charismatic actor seen in War of the Worlds and The Invisible, is charming and deserves far better material. Chow Yun-Fat plays a super-annoying character, but he seems to be having fun and acquits himself fairly well. Emmy Rossum, unfortunately, is horrendous. I thought she shined in The Phantom of the Opera, but what's she done since? Poseidon, a low-selling pop album, and this? Ouch, Ms. Rossum.

Overall, this is just garbage. It's chintzy, stupid, and ugly. Don't waste your time.

D

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:04 am

why is this listed under announcements now? Just curious.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:25 pm
Team Kris

Why is the poster Double Dragon? LOL

Oh...

This movie sucked donkey balls. Yes, I saw it. Mainly because I was wanting to see if there was any Emperor Pilaf. :(

Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:45 am

but it's not usually in announcements, it's in topics and stickied at the top. This week everything new is in announcements, which, unless my fucked up dyslexia is kicking in again, isn't what normally happens.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:16 am
Deshi Basara

The thing about this is that you have to go in knowing it's going to bad, and hope to enjoy yourself because of it or at least in spite of it. This movie is of course not good, but what matters is that it is so entertaining, which is why you pay for a ticket (or at least spend your time). It is good amer-asian campy scifi-fantasy guilty pleasure. You don't want to go expecting quality in the usual sense, a la Forbidden Kingdom.

Thus I give it a B for being fun overall.

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:36 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

Going in, I knew this film would be terrible and it was. However, it was so hilariously bad at the same time that I can't give this an F. It was a good enough time at the movies and I think people were getting pissed at me and my friends for laughing at basically every scene. The "Kame Hame Ha" scene at the end may be one of the worst yet funniest scenes I have seen in a while. I'll give it a C

Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:52 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Oh the hilarity!

I haven't a clue about Dragonball and I'm sure if I did I would have disliked this, but since I am free of the Dragonballs knowledge well I found it utterly hilarious and goofy.

And the great thing is I'm pretty sure the goofy and stupidity was deliberate. The bonkers overacting the shoddy SFX and the the fact the film considers the story to be so silly as to be only worthy of ridicule make this the ideal type of turn off your brain and enjoy film.

The best line was the first one. "In a time long before many can remember" errr if it was that long then nobody could remember you loon!

Fri May 01, 2009 6:06 am
Extraordinary

I found myself so sickened by the thought of seeing either of this weekend's two big releases: Wolverine or Ghosts of Girlfriends, that I decided to test fate and go to see another movie altogether - - one that had barely crossed my consciousness. A little movie known as Dragonball Evolution.

As to my knowledge of the source material - - it is nil. I haven't read, heard, or seen any of it. I'm an honest-to-goodness Dragonball Virgin. However, now that I have just seen the movie, let me rewrite my bio: I'm now a very satisfied ex-virgin Dragonballer!

I absolutely loved the level of attention that was paid to maintaining a consistently amped out tone of cheesiness that literally carries this live action telling of the age old tale of rebirth after 2,000 years. This movie displays that rare sense of comedy that transforms the ridiculous into the sublime.

The actors were fantastic! They performed superbly within the tight roles of their cartoonish characters.

And the story! Oh, the story!!! It really is something else! What a demented take on a spin on a legendary legend.

I really enjoyed this one. Another out and out B-movie, like last week's Fighting. Those two wouldn't be out of place in a 1980's rep cinema double bill if they'd been made way back then. It's nice to see some honest entertainment. The producers and director of Dragonball Evolution obviously care about their vision of this universe, and have implemented it exemplarily.

Now I can't wait for the sequel hinted at in the end title epilogue...

Dragonball Revelation, here we come!!!!!

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

Sat May 02, 2009 12:08 am
College Boy Z

I only half payed attention to this, but from what I saw, I laughed.

Thu Jul 30, 2009 12:58 am
Top Poster

Chow-Yun Fat gave the worst performance of any actor in any movie last year, still the movie was better than expected. C+

Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:06 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

F.

It's bad, very bad, hilariously bad.

I saw dragonball z when i was a kid and loved it. saw a lot of the episodes and still remember them. Too bad they bent my childhood over like a 2 dollar whore. Ass rammed my childhood without any lube and then left me with my pants around my ankles and didnt even toss me any napkins to clean myself up after words.

Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:17 am
You must have big rats

Jim Halpert wrote:
F.

It's bad, very bad, hilariously bad.

I saw dragonball z when i was a kid and loved it. saw a lot of the episodes and still remember them. Too bad they bent my childhood over like a 2 dollar whore. Ass rammed my childhood without any lube and then left me with my pants around my ankles and didnt even toss me any napkins to clean myself up after words.

:funny: :funny:

Fri Jan 08, 2010 9:49 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

D-

Ahh, Dragonball Evolution. One of those films that come along once in a blue moon that you see and just can't help, but wonder: "What the FUCK did the filmmakers think when they made this?" I have never been a followed of the Dragonball series, so I have nothing to compare this to. To me it just stands by its own as a film. And what a "film" it is.

I just don't know where to begin. How about the stiff acting? Poor Chow Yun Fat How the hell has he been lured into this piece of crap?! Or how about the absolutely ridiculous story with a retarded plot twist at the end? Or irritating characters? Or visual effects that look like someone made it on their computer in the basement during the 1990s? And that for a movie that supposedly carries a $100 million budget. What the hell did the money go into?

Words can not describe how crappy the film is. If you have seen the trailer...well that's pretty much what the entire film is like, stretched into 90 minutes. There are no interesting action set pieces, no good humor...or actually anything remotely good. Justin Chatwin has proven with The Invisible in the past that he's a bad actor and this movie just confirms it. James Marsters looks almost ashamed about what he's doing in some of the film's scenes. The only reason my grade isn't lower is because I actually laughed a couple of times at the ridiculousness of the thing and I'm sure that when heavily intoxicated it can be some sort of fun.

Kame Hame Ha!!

Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Gulli wrote:
I found it utterly hilarious and goofy.

And the great thing is I'm pretty sure the goofy and stupidity was deliberate. The bonkers overacting the shoddy SFX and the the fact the film considers the story to be so silly as to be only worthy of ridicule make this the ideal type of turn off your brain and enjoy film.

Too bad Gulli only posts once a month nowadays - - he displayed more acumen in a single post than in a thousand typical KJ posts.

Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:08 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]