Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Observe and Report 

What grade would you give this film?
A 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
B 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 4 ]
D 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
F 6%  6%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 16

Observe and Report 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Observe and Report
Observe and Report

Quote:
Observe and Report is a 2009 black comedy cult film written and directed by Jody Hill, starring Seth Rogen, Anna Faris and Ray Liotta.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:45 pm

Post Re: Observe and Report
Magnus wrote:
Sometimes its hilarious, sometimes its awesome, and sometime its just bland. When the film is trying to be funny it doesn't fail to deliver the laughs. Not as funny as PE/KU funny, but still pretty hilarious. When they play up the action, its fucking awesome. The film really has some great action scenes. However...when it goes dark and dramtic, the film becomes a bit bland. It's not dramatic enough for you to actually care. There are times where I was just screaming for the film to back to the comedy/action.

Now, before the last ten minutes, I was thinking the film was good but a bit dissapointing and would get mixed reactions as I felt the drama part would turn people off (and it turned me off). But...the last ten minutes of the film pretty much make up for everything. The ending is just simply fucking hilarious and awesome. There is one shot that everyone will be talking about after the film and going crazy over.

I say overall, it's a near-great film. Less drama and more action/comedy and it would have def. been great...maybe amazing. Rogen should really just stick to drama when he's working with Apatow.

Will spoil that one shot for me, if i have to wait weeks to know it'll KILL ME! :death: And then I'll haunt you for not telling me.

Anyway, better than ILYM? Best comedy of the year so far?

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:48 pm

Monsieur Marin wrote:
Will you spoil that one shot for me, if i have to wait weeks to know it'll KILL ME! :death: And then I'll haunt you for not telling me.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:23 am

GAHH
Okay, I didn't really care that much anyway, just prone to melodramatics today.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:49 am
"no rank"

I loved it. Seth Rogen basically plays Rorschach, down to his views on humanity, psychotic behaviour, and mad fighting skills.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:29 pm
"no rank"

Magnus wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
I loved it. Seth Rogen basically plays Rorschach, down to his views on humanity, psychotic behaviour, and mad fighting skills.

Were you on the floor laughing when the "holy shit" moment happen at the end?

The entire theatre lost their shit. And we got a cover of The Pixies to boot. Doesn't get much better.

I suspect many many people are going to be surprised this weekend, both in a good way and probably horrified.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:38 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Magnus wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Were you on the floor laughing when the "holy shit" moment happen at the end?

The entire theatre lost their shit. And we got a cover of The Pixies to boot. Doesn't get much better.

Except for the actual Pixies.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:39 pm
"no rank"

Where Is My Mind is always welcomed in cinema.

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:41 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

A Fight Club reference? Yikes, movie, just when I think you couldn't sound any less appealing...

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:42 pm
"no rank"

yoshue wrote:
A Fight Club reference? Yikes, movie, just when I think you couldn't sound any less appealing...

I don't think Fight Club was referenced at all in the film. Let me double-check...nope. :thumbsup:

Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:47 pm
"no rank"

I have to find a copy of Peña's volcano speech.

I had to remind my friends that while that sequence was very funny, it was stolen from Wet Hot American Summer. :P

Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:02 pm
He didn't look busy?!

I'm very curious how audiences reacted to this. Is this the kind of movie that you see people talking about, like Superbad? Or being more like one of those movies that lets a lot of people down even though they still kinda-liked it, as was the case with PE?

Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:08 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

I didn't know people were let down by Pineapple Express but in terms of tone, its much more like that film than Superbad. And loved both of those films, though Pineapple Express came out on top.

I ultimately gave O&R an A. It's far too creative and fresh and out there to not love. People are going to expect a Judd Apatow clone and Observe and Report is pretty far from it. It draws inspiration from Taxi Driver, Wet Home American Summer, Watchmen, just to name a few. Jody Hill is on fire.

Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:28 am
Veteran

I really didn't expect this to be similar to Watchmen, especially with Seth's character being a lot like Rorschach. I didn't think the movie was hilarious, but it was great. Moments had me laughing out loud a lot, especially the moments with Seth's character and the mom, and the date with Faris' character. But then it shifted into a very dark, very satirical tone which I sometimes liked more than the comedy sections of the film. But the best was the last 5 minutes with the flasher, not only was I caught completely off guard - but also, it was flat out hilarious. B+ but the more I think about it, the better it gets.

Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:51 pm
On autopilot for the summer

This movie is a mess. Seth Rogen plays a really good character, but its all him, and a few bright spots with Ray Liotta and the Mom. Its funny but shifts way too often. Its a decent waste of 90 minutes though. Something was just missing in it overall.

Im disappointed by Anna Farris, they really didn't give her much to do other than what was in the trailer.

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:42 pm
Pure Phase

Wow! This was an enormous surprise and a wonderful film. Seth Rogen is terrific, delivering his best performance to date. He completely inhabits his intense character, a mall security guard obsessed with catching an elusive flasher. The supporting cast also shines -- Michael Peña is hilarious (the voice!) as a drug-abusing fellow security guard and Collette Wolfe exudes compassion, vulnerability, and warmth as a Cinnabon employee who bonds with Rogen's character over free cups of coffee. The climax is jaw-dropping and unforgettable and the ride there is brilliant -- poignant, hilarious, enthralling. Recommended!

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:06 am
The Kramer

Best movie of the year so far. There's so many great moments in it's rather short running it's almost possible to pick out the best ones. Even though Aziz, Patton, and Danny only get cameos they kill in their few moments of screen time. Pena was fantastic and stole the screen every time he was on. I didn't know Landry was gonna be in it! But he does better than fellow FNL alum Riggins in Wolverine. Obviously Seth is the man. Too many people to even properly list. Easy A.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:01 am
Forum General

some great scenes but some misses also.

My friend thought Paul Blart was a better movie.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:06 am
Devil's Advocate

Yea this is pretty damn funny

As for the comments about it having drama/poignancy... I'm not buying that. It has its comedy cape on 100% of the way through, just with the characters playing the comedy more straight than usual and the laughs being dark. Most of the "drama" parts are more playing on other films and cliches. ie the mom, the coffee girl, the failed dream, etc. I also like how Faris' character is the most unappealing, unredeemable love interest EVER

I find the Where is My Mind usage interesting, as Ron and the Fight Club guys are on completley opposite sides of the spectrum, in terms of their code and view on the world and life's meaning. I feel this is one of Rogan's better performances so far too, he does a fairly perfect job of playing the character and comedy straight, for once... it's probably his funniest character for that reason.

Pineapple Express is a tighter film overall (probably due to having a director like DGG), but yeah... funny shit.

3.5/5

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:07 am
Devil's Advocate

Well I was ha ha-ing at least. :unsure:

Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:17 am
He didn't look busy?!

A lot of people are gonna call this the movie where Seth Rogen went too far, but I think it's one of the most disgusting, dark, and hilarious comedies I've seen in quite some time. Rogen, Faris, Liotta, Peña, the Asians, that Aziz Ansari guy... the cast was perfect, and what the movie tried (and usually succeeded) at pulling off was very ballsy and thus, interesting to watch. And if for whatever reason you didn't like it up to the ending, it ended with as much of a bang as anybody could've hoped for.

A-

Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:37 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Thegun wrote:
This movie is a mess. Seth Rogen plays a really good character, but its all him, and a few bright spots with Ray Liotta and the Mom. Its funny but shifts way too often. Its a decent waste of 90 minutes though. Something was just missing in it overall.

Im disappointed by Anna Farris, they really didn't give her much to do other than what was in the trailer.

B-

Jesus Gun.. The movie's a mess and you give it a grade of "B-"?? :-k You think you might've enjoyed it a little bit more than your willing to admit for an above average grade??

Last edited by STEVE ROGERS on Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:32 am
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

billybobwashere wrote:
A lot of people are gonna call this the movie where Seth Rogen went too far, but I think it's one of the most disgusting, dark, and hilarious comedies I've seen in quite some time. Rogen, Faris, Liotta, Peña, the Asians, that Aziz Ansari guy... the cast was perfect, and what the movie tried (and usually succeeded) at pulling off was very ballsy and thus, interesting to watch. And if for whatever reason you didn't like it up to the ending, it ended with as much of a bang as anybody could've hoped for.

A-

Ok, so compare this to say, "The Cable Guy" with Jim Carrey and how dark and twisted that movie was.. Is this in the same catagory as that or not??

Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:33 am
Profile WWW
A very honest-hearted fellow

This movie had some guts. I think my theater reacted most uproariously to the sex scene; perhaps the first time date rape (if you can call it that) has been funny. Loved the violence on those damn skater kids at the mall.

Anyone have a clue as to why the new white mall cop wasn't in jail after the Rorschach style cop brawl?

Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Please People get a GRIP!!!!!!!!!!!!! or go back and watch TaxiDriver.

One or two similiar scenes don't make a movie!

and this guy was only about 5% Travis Bickle, and 95% Paul Blart.

Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 am
Reply to topic   [ 52 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next