Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:38 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Sunshine Cleaning 

What grade would you give this film?
A 25%  25%  [ 3 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 7 ]
C 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 12

Sunshine Cleaning 

Post Sunshine Cleaning
Sunshine Cleaning

Quote:
Sunshine Cleaning is a 2008 dramedy film starring Amy Adams and Emily Blunt. Directed by Christine Jeffs and written by Megan Holley, the film premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival on January 18, 2008. It was purchased by Overture Films for distribution and opened in limited release in the United States on March 13, 2009. The film was released on DVD and Blu-ray on August 25, 2009.

Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:52 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Sunshine Cleaning
GASPS! I am the first one to have seen this? For Shame WOKJ! Anywho, I will have a full review soon, hopefully tomorrow, deffinitely friday, in any event I will simply say, it is a very strong film, despite a few annoying hiccups, that is powered on the very strong shoulders of its' two stars (and shockingly, amy adams does not leave emily blunt in the dust, which is pretty impressive on blunt's behalf.)

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:57 am
Forum General

Yeah, I saw this last week before it came out.

I liked it alot. I think the darker tone really worked. I can't really explain but I just clicked emotionally with the film. It was alot more depressing than comedic and that's probably why I liked it so much!

And yes, both actresses REALLY brought their A-game.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:39 pm
Veteran

I agree exactly with Raffiki. I don't know what it was about the story of the film, but I just clicked with it instantly. I preferred the dramatic scenes in the film to the comedic but it blended incredibly well. Both actresses were great and made their characters extremely authentic. Emily Blunt just needs to work on her accent a bit more. I loved the ending as it's not what the audience expected, and it's not entirely unrealistic but it's what needed to happen for the characters. Fantastic movie, if it's playing near you see it asap. A-

Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:59 pm
Wallflower

Wow, I'm certainly curious about the ending now. Is it not the crowd-pleaser that it looked like it would be from the previews? That's fine by me, but it might hurt it at the Box Office.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:59 pm
Veteran

Oh no, no. Aha, don't get the wrong impression by what I mean from the ending. The film as a whole is different than what I expected, in a great way. But the ending for me at least - in regards to the story and what I would have expected - strayed from being generic and falling into the typical Hollywood type.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:08 pm

Mr. Inc wrote:
Oh no, no. Aha, don't get the wrong impression by what I mean from the ending. The film as a whole is different than what I expected, in a great way. But the ending for me at least - in regards to the story and what I would have expected - strayed from being generic and falling into the typical Hollywood type.

you mean where
Spoiler: show
where the dad buys the van for her and they start the business together?
was about what I expected, and it was a pretty generic ending IMHO

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:25 pm

Mr. Inc wrote:
I agree exactly with Raffiki. I don't know what it was about the story of the film, but I just clicked with it instantly. I preferred the dramatic scenes in the film to the comedic but it blended incredibly well. Both actresses were great and made their characters extremely authentic. Emily Blunt just needs to work on her accent a bit more. I loved the ending as it's not what the audience expected, and it's not entirely unrealistic but it's what needed to happen for the characters. Fantastic movie, if it's playing near you see it asap. A-

So you did pull off the double feature? Good for you, told you this was worth watching! :thumbsup:

Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:26 pm
Pure Phase

Terrific performances elevate a good-natured but otherwise unspectacular slice-of-life comedy-drama. In perhaps her most adult role to date -- Rose is no Disney fairy tale heroine or sweetly naïve nun, but a hardened, sad single mother who doesn't sound entirely convinced when she tells herself she is strong -- Amy Adams shines. This is a winning, natural performance. Adams sells every emotion, every gesture, every line of dialogue without ever lapsing into broad overacting. Adams shares the screen with Emily Blunt, who is also superb. Their chemistry -- the familial tenderness, the frustration-and-sorrow-driven fights -- is palpable. Adams and Blunt dominate Sunshine Cleaning, but the supporting cast is also strong. Notable is Clifton Collins, Jr., wonderful as a quiet, warm-hearted cleaning supplies store owner.

Beyond the top-notch performances, there's not much to Sunshine Cleaning. It goes through the indie motions without much creativity. There's nothing bad either, though, and, again, the performances are more than enough to warrant a recommendation.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:30 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I thought it was bland and boring. Amy Adams and Emily Blunt are always great. I just wasn't entertained at all. C-

Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:36 pm

Sam wrote:
I thought it was bland and boring. Amy Adams and Emily Blunt are always great. I just wasn't entertained at all. C-

Not to discount you, but it is more of a drama than a comedy. It's inentions are more to examine humanity and tell a story than entertain. This is a movie that should fall under the category of "art" first and "entertainment" second.

Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:33 pm
Veteran

Monsieur Marin wrote:
Mr. Inc wrote:

So you did pull off the double feature? Good for you, told you this was worth watching! :thumbsup:

Ya I had nothing else to do today, and I was in the mood for another movie anyways. Glad I ended up doing it.

As for the ending I thought they were going to
get a call from business asking them to come back into the industry or have gotten a loan from someone
. Like I know the ending wasn't totally unexpected but I thought it differed from what I was originally expecting.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:01 am

Enh, yeah that would make sense too. I guess I just expected something close enough to what we got. Anyway, Glad you liked it, I thought it was pretty great too.

Sat Mar 28, 2009 1:59 am
Extraordinary

Quote:
I must say that as a whole, the Sunshine Trilogy is... shall we say: uneven?

After the hugely successful first entry in the franchise, 2006's
Little Miss Sunshine, the series took a bizarre left turn when the trilogy producers chose director Danny Boyle to helm the the disappointingly sci-die literalist take on the theme, with 2007's Sunshine (Trivia: Strangely enough, Alan Arkin's role in the trilogy was replaced by Cliff Curtis in this middle film due to a contract dispute!). Now, finally the story draws to a close with the feminine spin of director Christine Jeffs' 2008 Sunshine Cleaning. It is the capstone to this jumbled monument of filmdom...

First off, this is yet another in my series of reviews of Grrrlllll Power movies - - this is one of those rare "mainstream" movies told from a contemporary woman's perspective. And this ain't the typical tween/teen/twenties girls with boy trouble (though that's part of it ;) ), nope... these grrrllllls are immersed in that most avoided of states: adulthood.

Yep! ...these grrrllllls are wymyn!

The lead actors are impeccable! Amy Adams and Emily Blunt have been great in every movie I've ever seen them in, regardless of how good the movie is. Same goes for Steve Zahn and Alan Arkin, though being mere guys, are necessarily relegated to a secondary role here.

The story plays out very realistically - - I believed it, except for the odd entirely forgivable comic embellishment, this is the real deal. An example of a life lived... one of infinite varieties one may choose, but a truthful one to be sure.

Nicely done little film, though my one complaint is the sound. If you're going to go to all the trouble of gathering a quality team - - then for the love of gawd - - get a decent sound director!

:zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: out of :zzz: :mad: :) :thumbsup: :towel:

(List of my Grrrlllll Power reviews to follow...)

Mon Mar 30, 2009 12:46 am
Hatchling

Post Sunshine Cleaning
I finally got to see this movie!! I have been looking forward to it ever since seeing the trailer and for once I wasn't disappointed!! :) Besides from the amazing cast (Adams, Blunt, Arkin...) the story was flawlessly written and directed. The film somehow had the right balance of humor and depth; it was funny and inspiring yet at points, very dark. I would definitely recommend this one... it was the best film I've seen this year.

http://www.hollywood.com/movie/Sunshine_Cleaning/3501754

Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:56 pm

Butterfree wrote:
I finally got to see this movie!! I have been looking forward to it ever since seeing the trailer and for once I wasn't disappointed!! :) Besides from the amazing cast (Adams, Blunt, Arkin...) the story was flawlessly written and directed. The film somehow had the right balance of humor and depth; it was funny and inspiring yet at points, very dark. I would definitely recommend this one... it was the best film I've seen this year.

http://www.hollywood.com/movie/Sunshine_Cleaning/3501754

First, this post probably belongs in the critic forum, but whatever.
Second, I didn't love it like you did, there were definitely flaws, but it was good overall, I would also recommend it,
Lastly, this is my fifth favorite film this year, :lol: IMHO, this has been a great start to the year.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:03 pm
"no rank"

I think it works for Hollywood.com

search.php?author_id=9850&sr=posts

Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:06 pm
Wallflower

I haven't seen it yet. I'm absolutely dying too, but my theater still isn't getting it this upcoming weekend.

Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:07 pm
Forum General

I saw this way back a few weeks.

I think it's my favorite movie of the year. Pretty depressing but I felt a strong emotional connection to the film. It was great.

The acting was quite amazing. Excellent casting.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:55 am
Hatchling

Definitely the perfect cast! Amy Adams and Emily Blunt had incredible on-screen chemistry and were so believable as sisters!

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:27 pm
Extraordinary

Monsieur Marin wrote:
First, this post probably belongs in the critic forum, but whatever.

To the OP - - I suggest you follow M. Marin's advice and transfer your comments over to the Sunshine Cleaning review thread - - otherwise they'll get lost in the shuffle in the long run, and diffuse the discussion in the short. A couple quick quoted posts and you're done!

:)

Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:46 pm
Forum General

Monsieur Marin wrote:
Mr. Inc wrote:

you mean where
where the dad buys the van for her and they start the business together?
was about what I expected, and it was a pretty generic ending IMHO

decent B movie but pretty much just basic fluff....I mean come on, who couldn't have written this movie? such a simple story!

even with all of the unanswered questions - see the spoiler below

also, look at the way the Steve Zahn relationship ended > It's over, I guess it is over, Then he just turns and walks away

well to me I agree it wasn't Hollywood as it left unanswered questions - Almost like the end of Eastern Promises with Vig sitting at the table.

like in a Hollywood ending,

Amy Adams would have ended up with the store owner.....

and where was the sister going.....

and would the sister have found love with that women????

Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:17 pm
Leader of the Pack

I forgot to post my review last Tuesday, but here it is...

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2009/04 ... kes-again/

Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:19 am
Sbil

Poignant and well-acted. Rose and Norah are developed individuals; the script gives them depth and we see them as people, not just characters in a movie. This movie owes a great deal of its success to Amy Adams and Emily Blunt, who are two of the best actresses of their generation and bring their considerable talents to this film. Alan Arkin is underused but effective, while supporting actors Clifton Collins Jr, Steve Zahn and Mary Lynn Rajskub are solid. Sunshine Cleaning is well worth the time, especially for the performances of its two superb leads. B+

Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:14 pm
Wallflower

It opens here on Friday. I plan on seeing it Saturday night. I'm excited.

Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:05 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next