Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 3:03 pm

Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 I Love You, Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 6 ]
B 70%  70%  [ 14 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 20

I Love You, Man 

Post I Love You, Man
I Love You, Man

Quote:
I Love You, Man is a 2009 American comedy film originally titled Let's be Friends and written by Larry Levin before John Hamburg rewrote and directed the film. Starring Paul Rudd, Jason Segel, and Rashida Jones the film focuses on Peter's (Rudd) lack of male friends and the bond that forms between him and Sydney (Segel).

The film was released theatrically in North America on March 20, 2009, to mostly positive reviews and took second spot in the box office during its opening week (to Knowing). The film was released on home video on August 11, 2009.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

Post Re: I Love You, Man
Your such a tease, come on now.

Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:51 pm
Veteran

Nice review Magnus. Looking forward to it.

Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:39 pm
He didn't look busy?!

how would you say it compares with, say, Forgetting Sarah Marshall?

Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:16 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

FSM wasn't very funny.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:07 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

I currently have almost zero interest in seeing this - - maybe 2 - 3% tops...

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:46 pm
You must have big rats

Magnus wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
FSM wasn't very funny.

Most would disagree.

I am aware of that, but for my own perspective, I obviously don't care, heh.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
I currently have almost zero interest in seeing this - - maybe 2 - 3% tops...

Did you measure it empirically?

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:36 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Magnus wrote:
Dr. Lecter wrote:
FSM wasn't very funny.

Most would disagree.

I am aware of that, but for my own perspective, I obviously don't care, heh.

I'm with you in your fight against FSM!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:38 pm
problem?

Forgetting Sarah Marshall sucked hard. So I did as the title, and forgot it. But this looks very kyoot, and better.

Last edited by Korrgan on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:25 pm
Forum General

So, I saw a screening of this last night.

It definitely does not disappoint. I agree with alot of Magnus' points. It has it all and while it's not really gonna blow you away, you're gonna have an awesome time. I think what really elevated it was alot of the comedy that came about through the awkwardness of Paul Rudd's character. He pulled it off so well and it's SO relatable.

It is definitely better than Role Models
And I'm in the minority that was quite disappointed with Sarah Marshall. It just wasn't that funny, have to agree with Lecter, so I say this one is wayy better than FSM.

I think this is gonna become a small classic but what irks me just a little bit is that the advertising campaign thinks so too and they're going overboard with the phrases and stuff.

Top Anticipated 2009
1. Nine

Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:53 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

I sure hope this is better than Sarah Marshall because that wasnt that funny.

Russell Brand was the best thing about it, even though he was playing himself.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:38 am
Wallflower

Add another to the camp that wasn't overly impressed by FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL. Most of the jokes fell flat on their face.

However, I LOVE YOU, MAN sounds like it's going to be homophobic.

From Dustin Putman's review (he gave it half a star):

More offensively, though, his goal of finding a best man for his wedding should be a non-issue; he does, after all, have a younger brother, Robbie (Andy Samberg), whom he is close with. That there is never so much as a discussion or passing mention of the possibility that Robbie should step into the role causes Peter to appear thoughtless and disrespectful. Does the thought not even cross his mind because Robbie is gay? Indeed, director John Hamburg's treatment of homosexuality is so far off-course that it's despicable, painting every gay character as someone who is solely defined by this single characteristic. When Robbie's and Peter's father Oswald (J.K. Simmons) declares that Robbie is his best friend, he does not say, "I love my son," but "I love my gay son," as if that one word is the only reason he is looked at as different from the straight-laced Peter. Other side characters, like initial man-date Doug (Thomas Lennon), who kisses Peter at the end of the night and proceeds to pop up throughout with a creepy predatory smirk on his face, are depicted not as people, but as caricatures.

I actually thought this seemed homophobic from one of the TV spots. It's where Rudd's character is kissed by the other guy and then later at home mentions that he's going to wash his mouth out with Comet. First of all, he was barely kissed on the lips. There was no tongue. Second of all, he asked this guy out on a date, obviously not mentioning the reason, so how can he be blamed for being mislead? I'm sorry, but if a girl kissed me I wouldn't overreact and say I was going to wash my mouth out with Comet. And they actually have to make this character predatory? It just seems in really poor taste.

Here's the TV spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXx8cpq2skw

Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:21 am
"no rank"

You have to let it go Mike.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:19 am
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I would totally wash out my mouth with Comet if a girl kissed me. LOL

People said Fired Up! was homophobic and it so wasn't.
watch the movie and make up your own mind.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:58 pm
Wallflower

I'm sure FIRED UP isn't. But the previews to this movie rub me the wrong way.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:20 pm

Mike wrote:
Add another to the camp that wasn't overly impressed by FORGETTING SARAH MARSHALL. Most of the jokes fell flat on their face.

However, I LOVE YOU, MAN sounds like it's going to be homophobic.

From Dustin Putman's review (he gave it half a star):

More offensively, though, his goal of finding a best man for his wedding should be a non-issue; he does, after all, have a younger brother, Robbie (Andy Samberg), whom he is close with. That there is never so much as a discussion or passing mention of the possibility that Robbie should step into the role causes Peter to appear thoughtless and disrespectful. Does the thought not even cross his mind because Robbie is gay? Indeed, director John Hamburg's treatment of homosexuality is so far off-course that it's despicable, painting every gay character as someone who is solely defined by this single characteristic. When Robbie's and Peter's father Oswald (J.K. Simmons) declares that Robbie is his best friend, he does not say, "I love my son," but "I love my gay son," as if that one word is the only reason he is looked at as different from the straight-laced Peter. Other side characters, like initial man-date Doug (Thomas Lennon), who kisses Peter at the end of the night and proceeds to pop up throughout with a creepy predatory smirk on his face, are depicted not as people, but as caricatures.

I actually thought this seemed homophobic from one of the TV spots. It's where Rudd's character is kissed by the other guy and then later at home mentions that he's going to wash his mouth out with Comet. First of all, he was barely kissed on the lips. There was no tongue. Second of all, he asked this guy out on a date, obviously not mentioning the reason, so how can he be blamed for being mislead? I'm sorry, but if a girl kissed me I wouldn't overreact and say I was going to wash my mouth out with Comet. And they actually have to make this character predatory? It just seems in really poor taste.

Here's the TV spot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXx8cpq2skw

Speaking as a homosexual, everyone needs to shut the fuck up about homophobia. Every time there is even the slightest mistep people explode and say it's "the most homophobic thing ever!" Zomg! Guess what, homophobia exists everywhere, but not suggesting that a brother be a best man does not mean that the LGBT needs to march against this movie. The tv spots look fine to me, and are only offensive if you're looking to be offended.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:40 pm
"no rank"

For the record, the Comet bit is in response to Thomas Lennon's character being a smoker, not the gender or sexuality of his character.

As for the film, I don't know. It had a been there, done that feel. Not a bad feeling mind you, a pretty good one. But these films are all starting to run together.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:46 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

^ well, hold on a minute. Just because homophobia is a reality doesn't mean people have to lay down and accept it. There is homophobic slurs that are used without purpose as a way to show how "normal" people talk. I don't agree with that kind of speech. Then there is humorous "homophobic" language; while it is technically homophobic, the humor around it lightens it up so much as to possibly eliminate the negative content. It definitely is a matter of choosing your battles. But you have to invite individuals to make up their own mind about it.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:50 pm
Commander and Chef

movie was awesome!!

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:39 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Is it just me or do these R-rated comedies start to seem the same as of late?

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Is it just me or do these R-rated comedies start to seem the same as of late?

There really are no distinguishing parts to this film. It's not a knock on it because it was entertaining but its also in no way memorable outside of a handful of jokes.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:59 pm
Commander and Chef

All these R Rated comedies that have a girl guy subplot are now refered to me by "Male-Romantic Comedy'.

because thats what they really are. In some senses, they're all romance but looked upon from a guy's perspective .. even the fact that in some situations, they're no more than a subplot.

and just like your traditional romantic comedies, they'll start to feel the same as well. Its only noticeable now cause looking at shit from a guy's perspective has only recently started getting explored.

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
problem?

I thought all the scenes with Jason Segal were boring and not funny at all. But a lot of the other scenes were funny. Especially Paul Rudd's fiance's friends, and Paul Rudd did a really good job, too. I've liked Jason on HIMYM and most of his other movies, but this round, he just wasn't funny. His scenes were the worst in the movie.

Otherwise, it was kind of a kyoot movie. Better than the shitty Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

ImageImageImage out of Image

Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:19 pm
Pure Phase

I'm sure I'll be laughed at for this, but WTF does "kyoot" mean? lol

Cute?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next