Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:32 am

Reply to topic  [ 333 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 14  Next
 Watchmen 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 25 ]
B 22%  22%  [ 13 ]
C 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 58

Watchmen 

Post Watchmen
Watchmen

Quote:
Watchmen is a 2009 superhero film directed by Zack Snyder and starring Malin Åkerman, Billy Crudup, Matthew Goode, Jackie Earle Haley, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, and Patrick Wilson. It is an adaptation of the comic book of the same name by Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons. The film is set in an alternate history 1985 at the height of the Cold War between the United States and the Soviet Union, as a group of mostly retired vigilantes investigates an apparent conspiracy against them and uncovers something even more grandiose and sinister.

Following publication of the Watchmen comic, a live-action film adaptation was mired in development hell. Producer Lawrence Gordon began developing the project at 20th Century Fox and Warner Bros. (parent company of Watchmen publisher DC Comics) with producer Joel Silver and director Terry Gilliam, the latter eventually deeming the complex novel "unfilmable". During the 2000s, Gordon and Lloyd Levin collaborated with Universal Studios and Paramount Pictures to produce a script by David Hayter; Darren Aronofsky and Paul Greengrass were also attached to the project before it was canceled over budget disputes. The project returned to Warner Bros., where Snyder was hired to direct – Paramount remained as international distributor. Fox sued Warner Bros. for copyright violation arising from Gordon's failure to pay a buy-out in 1991, which enabled him to develop the film at the other studios. Fox and Warner Bros. settled this before the film's release with Fox receiving a portion of the gross. Principal photography began in Vancouver, September 2007. As with his previous film 300, Snyder closely modeled his storyboards on the comic, but chose not to shoot all of Watchmen using chroma key and opted for more sets.

The film was released in both conventional and IMAX theaters on March 6, 2009, grossing $55 million on the opening weekend, and grossed over $185 million at the worldwide box office. It divided film critics; some gave it overwhelmingly positive reviews for the dark and unique take on the superhero genre, while others derided it for the same reason, as well as the R-rating, the running time, and the much-publicized accuracy to the graphic novel. A DVD based on elements of the Watchmen universe was released, including an animated adaptation of the comic Tales of the Black Freighter within the story, starring Gerard Butler, and the fictional biography Under the Hood, detailing the older generation of superheroes from the film's back-story. A director's cut with 24 minutes of additional footage was released in July 2009. The "Ultimate Cut" edition incorporated the Tales of the Black Freighter content into the narrative as it was in the original graphic novel, lengthening the runtime to 215 minutes, and was released on November 3, 2009.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:43 am
Profile WWW
Leader of the Pack

Post Re: Watchmen
I saw the first 20 minutes at WonderCon this weekend... good stuff :thumbsup:

Mon Mar 02, 2009 5:01 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Don't count bABA's review until Friday.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:57 pm
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Ozymunkias wrote:

We have chatted about it, he has seen it. So include it.

Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:48 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Gulli wrote:
Ozymunkias wrote:

We have chatted about it, he has seen it. So include it.

BOLOGNA!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Mon Mar 02, 2009 11:17 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Ozymunkias wrote:

Why?? If he's seen the movie, why shouldn't his review be counted?? Why?? Cause your afraid his review will reflect how bad it sucked or what?? :-k

Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:23 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

i never said the movie sucked. i just said that first time watching the film will leave you wanting to see the movie again for all the reasons one shouldn't have to pay to see a movie a second time.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:15 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

bABA wrote:
i never said the movie sucked. i just said that first time watching the film will leave you wanting to see the movie again for all the reasons one shouldn't have to pay to see a movie a second time.

:grrr:

huh?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:33 pm
Commander and Chef

i like to pay to see a movie again cause i enjoyed it

i want to see this movie again cause i know there was something good there. sadly, the first viewing left me more disoriented and confused. i need to watch it a second time to actually properly absorb it.

thats never a good thing in my books.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:35 pm
Profile WWW
"no rank"

bABA wrote:

i want to see this movie again cause i know there was something good there. sadly, the first viewing left me more disoriented and confused. i need to watch it a second time to actually properly absorb it.

got it. Second viewing for clarification sake. But like you said, at least it warrants a second viewing. I've seen plenty of confusing films I've never wanted to see again.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:45 pm

bABA wrote:

I don't mind a movie that requires a second viewing for clarification. That just means its' a complicated movie, which is usually a good thing in my book, I like things that take thought process and multiple viewing to fully comprehend.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm
Commander and Chef

Benjamin Milk wrote:
bABA wrote:

I don't mind a movie that requires a second viewing for clarification. That just means its' a complicated movie, which is usually a good thing in my book, I like things that take thought process and multiple viewing to fully comprehend.

watchmen is not complicated. it requires clarification because its so bloody disjoint. like i said before somewhere, the first thing that you say walking out of Watchmen is 'disorienting'. sometimes things speed up, then slow down, then normal speed, then music kicks in, gone ... and you look at the watch and realize its only been 10 seconds.

clarification is one thing. reloaded needed clarification. MI needed clarification. Watchmen needs clarification for all the reasons a film shouldn't.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:34 pm
Profile WWW

bABA wrote:
Benjamin Milk wrote:
bABA wrote:

watchmen is not complicated. it requires clarification because its so bloody disjoint. like i said before somewhere, the first thing that you say walking out of Watchmen is 'disorienting'. sometimes things speed up, then slow down, then normal speed, then music kicks in, gone ... and you look at the watch and realize its only been 10 seconds.

clarification is one thing. reloaded needed clarification. MI needed clarification. Watchmen needs clarification for all the reasons a film shouldn't.

I'll write you off as a pessimist and be every bit as excited for the film as I already was.
Thanks for you opinion though, :thumbsup:

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:53 pm
Commander and Chef

that ... doesn't make sense. how can i be a pessimist if i've already seen it.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:10 pm
Profile WWW

bABA wrote:
that ... doesn't make sense. how can i be a pessimist if i've already seen it.

I meant that you're looking at what you've seen in a pessimistic manner. Its' like how I decided to focus on the annoying factor of the melodrama in Seven Pounds rather than the fact that it had good acting. Your focusing on the fact that watchmen didn't make sense rather than the fact that...I don't know, its' visually dazzling or whatever.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:16 pm
"no rank"

whoa whoa whoa. Seven Pounds. Good Acting.

This thread has gone off the deep end.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:20 pm
Commander and Chef

no not really. watchmen didn't make sense for how its made, not because the story has problems. when you walk out feeling disoriented because of the visual style it adopted to tell a story, i'm not sure how easy it is to look past that. if you didn't have a problem with it, power to you but i can't possibly see or understand how one can be called pessimistic if they indeed, had trouble with it. you're asking me to concentrate on the visually dazzling whatever .... i just told you thats where the problem begins. slow down, speed up, normal, random music .... here i am trying to concentrate on whats hpapening, even trying to enjoy the visuals for some asshole to start playing with the rewind and fast forward feature.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:21 pm
Profile WWW

loyalfromlondon wrote:

:no: Loyal, is there any acting you don't hate?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:26 pm
"no rank"

Benjamin Milk wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

Good acting for starters.

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:27 pm

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Benjamin Milk wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

which would be? Forgive me if I sound like I'm criticizing you, really not intending to, but all I see you say about acting is negative comments. Example of some good acting?

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:31 pm
"no rank"

Benjamin Milk wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
Benjamin Milk wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

which would be? Forgive me if I sound like I'm criticizing you, really not intending to, but all I see you say about acting is negative comments. Example of some good acting?

Daniel Day Lewis in There Will Be Blood
Linda Fiorentino in The Last Seduction
Robert De Niro in Awakenings
Jaye Davidson in The Crying Game
Samuel L Jackson in Jungle Fever
Robert Downey Jr in Tropic Thunder

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:33 pm

fair enough, despite the fact that I haven't seen most of those movies, I get your point.
I like Will Smith, think he does a good job, but he is no daniel day lewis or RDJ, I won't argue that.
But we are WAY off topic, if the mods want, they should probably delete this conversation to keep the thread "on topic"

Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:35 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

No attacking bABA. He said it was awesome. I have proof.

And it WILL be awesome.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:49 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Quote:
me: heh
Are there any awesome moments?

9:32 PM