Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Friday the 13th (2009) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
B 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
C 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
D 22%  22%  [ 5 ]
F 17%  17%  [ 4 ]
Total votes : 23

Friday the 13th (2009) 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Friday the 13th (2009)
Friday the 13th

Quote:
Friday the 13th is a 2009 American slasher film directed by Marcus Nispel and written by Damian Shannon and Mark Swift. It is a reboot of the Friday the 13th film series, which began in 1980. Nispel also directed the 2003 remake of Tobe Hooper's The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974), while Shannon and Swift wrote the screenplay for the 2003 crossover Freddy vs. Jason. Friday the 13th follows Clay Miller (Jared Padalecki) as he searches for his missing sister, Whitney (Amanda Righetti), who while camping in the woods at Crystal Lake is taken by Jason Voorhees (Derek Mears).

The concept for the 2009 film originally started as an origin story, but the film evolved into a reimagining of the first four Friday the 13th films. Along with bringing the film back to its tonal roots, Jason was designed as a leaner and faster killer, with a backstory that could provide a little sympathy for the character, but not enough that he would lose his menace. Although this film reboots the continuity, Jason's iconic hockey mask, which was not introduced until the third film in the series, is acquired through the progression of the film. In keeping with the tone of the film, Jason's mask was also brought back to its roots, created from a mold of the original mask used for Part III; though there were subtle changes. Friday the 13th incorporated some of Harry Manfredini's music score from the original Friday the 13th film series, as the producers recognized its iconic status.

The film was released on Friday, February 13, 2009, to the most theaters of any of the Friday the 13th films. Although the film was met with primarily negative reviews, it earned approximately $19 million on its opening night and $40 million for its opening weekend. With its opening weekend, Friday the 13th broke two records, having the largest opening day for the film series and the largest opening weekend for any horror film. It is currently the second-highest grossing film in the Friday the 13th franchise with $65 million, and has earned over $91.3 million worldwide.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:46 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Friday the 13th (2009)
It's a Friday the 13th movie. Decent cast, okay kills, excellent Jason. The script is pretty bland, even by this series' standards. It rehashes a lot of 1-3's "greatest hits."

B-

Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:00 am
On autopilot for the summer

Noone saw this yet??

Jut got back, and I liked it a lot. I would have to say probably the best Jason movie ever. Apart from the Dick boyfriend and token self awared black guy, the acting was good, Jason was intimidating as hell, scary too. Much better than Zombie Jason and the kills were simple and brutal. About as good as TCM except no real character to root for, but as far as remakes go, one of the better horror ones. Jason kicks all kinds of ass in this.

Original Friday- C-
Remake- B+/A-

Dare I say it Jason is on an actual streak with Freddy Vs. Jason being one hell of a good time too.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:46 pm

Oh and

Spoiler: show
I was so shocked when the pre title sequence ended, I really thought those teens were going to be the main characters who met up with others kind of deal, I like that this film was simple and just concentrated on being entertaining. Though on the same spectrum the ending was so much trying to be a reference to the original that it was just so silly.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

How was the Transformers trailer?

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:50 pm
You must have big rats

Dark Shape sums up my thoughts pretty well. I expected something better, but I simply didn't realize that the whole Friday the 13th franchise is not very good...so why expect a very good remake?

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:51 pm
Profile WWW

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Dark Shape sums up my thoughts pretty well. I expected something better, but I simply didn't realize that the whole Friday the 13th franchise is not very good...so why expect a very good remake?

Good man :thumbsup:

I think the best entry in the first ten films never got higher than a B from me, and that may have been 3 and 4.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:53 pm
Extraordinary

I'd give Part 2 a B+, Part 4 a B, and Part 6 an A-. So a B- here is pretty good.

Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:02 pm
Indiana Jones IV

This is definitely the smartest and most vicious Jason the series has ever seen. However, he struck me as being very similar to Leatherface from the Chainsaw remake, what with the elaborate lair full of spooky decor and him lumbering around with bodies draped over his shoulder. Having him run was a nice change of pace and added an intensity to the encounters. The look and feel of the film was also quite similar to Nispel's other film. I was half expecting on more than one occasion to run into the Hewitt family. Even the old grumpy lady and what looked like the old man in the wheelchair from the remake made an appearance. And funnily enough, the only two tolerable characters, the two survivors, seemed ripped right out of that movie. But hey, I did have fun and really dug the opening, ending with the title card (got some cheers for that and also later when Jason gets his mask). They did pussy out with the ending though. Don't introduce a wood chipper unless you're going to make gory use of it.

C+/B-

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:05 am
Profile WWW
Orphan

Loved it. Delivers everything I want from a slasher film and more.

Grade: A

Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:26 am
Teh Mexican

I thought it was pretty average but i overall had a good time watching it. I was kind of expecting a bit more of Jason...

B-

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:25 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

It wasn't nearly as good as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (which is still one of my favorite horror films ever) but I really enjoyed it. It was fun, incredibly entertaining and full of suspenseful sequences.

Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:58 am
Profile YIM
Orphan

thompsoncory wrote:
It wasn't nearly as good as The Texas Chainsaw Massacre remake (which is still one of my favorite horror films ever) but I really enjoyed it. It was fun, incredibly entertaining and full of suspenseful sequences.

:thumbsup:

I want to see it again next weekend since there are only other 2 movies I will be seeing that weekend and 3 is usually how many I see. Plus, this was very entertaining.

Be sure to voice your opinion in the thread I'm about to make :yes:

Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:09 am
Forum General

I actually really hated it. For a 94 minute movie, it felt about three times that length. It was incredibly boring and it never really went anywhere. The acting across the board was pretty awful, but Danielle Panabaker was simply atrocious and gives one of the worst performances I've seen in quite awhile. Some of the kills were pretty cool, and honestly, that's about the only thing I can say about it. I definitely say skip it.

4/10 (D)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Oh so I found a link between this movie and Transformers.

That guy played Trent in Transformers too :thumbsup:

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:19 am

Ozymunkias wrote:
How was the Transformers trailer?

The robots look better than ever, and it was definitely done to a cool effect, revealing little and still wetting the appetite. However it had an incredibly ominous and dark tone, and I know its' just a trailer, but I loved that the first movie it was light hearted with jokes and energy, this doesn't look like it will be.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:25 am

The trailer was ok. nothing special.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sun Feb 15, 2009 3:31 am
Orphan

Thegun wrote:
The trailer was ok. nothing special.

It was too much like a slightly longer version of the Superbowl spot.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:59 pm
Vagina Qwertyuiop

The Friday the 13th's have long been my favourite slasher franchise, and this one didn't disappoint. In fact, I'd say more than any other "re-imagining" it did the originals complete and utter justice.

Personal fave death: Girl gets knife in the head under the pier. What makes it special is that right after she's lifted topless out of the water briefly when he retracts the blade, only to hit her head on the pier with a light thud and sink back down again.

Also, Trent was possibly my favourite character in any slasher film to date.

A-

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:25 pm
Orphan

Snrub wrote:
The Friday the 13th's have long been my favourite slasher franchise, and this one didn't disappoint. In fact, I'd say more than any other "re-imagining" it did the originals complete and utter justice.

Personal fave death: Girl gets knife in the head under the pier. What makes it special is that right after she's lifted topless out of the water briefly when he retracts the blade, only to hit her head on the pier with a light thud and sink back down again.

Also, Trent was possibly my favourite character in any slasher film to date.

A-

:thumbsup: :D

Sun Feb 15, 2009 4:30 pm
Pure Phase

Marcus Nispel and Michael Bay's 2009 reboot of the flagging Friday the 13th horror franchise is entertaining, but nothing else. In fact, I left the theatre disappointed. Perhaps against my better judgment, I hoped Nispel and action/suspense maestro Bay, armed with a $19 million budget and studio support, could create the most interesting, memorable "Friday" to date. They haven't.

One of Nispel and Bay's more creative moves is to devote the first one-fifth of the film's running time to an extended prologue. Interspersed throughout the opening credits are B&W scenes introducing the late Pamela Voorhees and her supernatural slasher son. These don't serve much of a point. So poorly shot and brief, they won't explain much to moviegoers not already familiar with the 29-year-old franchise's mythology. Following these is what you could call a mini-"Friday." We are introduced to a standard group (studly male models, big-titted bimbos, one dweeb to spout exposition) who have come to Jason's rural stomping grounds to find a rumored pot field. Over the next 15 or so minutes, they start a fire, pop open the beer cans, converse in three-word sentences and juvenile one-liners, have sex, wander into the woods, investigate decrepit cabins (never has decay been production designed with so much love!), and get slaughtered by Jason. At the end of this, there is just one girl left standing (who, it was revealed earlier, rather resembles Jason's mother). Jason runs towards her, blade raised. Just before he surely decapitates or disembowels her, the title card fills the screen and the film proper begins.

This prologue has delivered the goods. Sexy! Gory! Atmospheric! But it also brings us to one of the film's larger problems: we now have to sit through another round of so-called "character development" (the beer swilling, humping, and one-liners I referenced earlier). Yawn! Sure, these are the characters we will follow through the rest of the movie, but still... it's been done, we sat through the obligatory character introductions (who cares anyway?), we don't want to again. But we have to, say Nispel and Bay. Damn it!

One of the new characters is a stubble-driven, motorcycle-riding dude searching for his missing sister. It turns out his sister is the one who resembled Pamela Voorhees and who we didn't exactly glimpse bite the dust. Wonder if she's still alive... a predictable mystery, yay! So, he's searching for his sis, a group of college students are planning to have a wild party at a nearby cabin, and Jason's out for blood. There's the plot.

This is a standard "Friday" franchise entry. Maybe bit a worse than the early '80s entries, but not by a wide margin. The acting isn't good (obviously), but it's not AWFUL either. Just bland. Nice eye candy for both sexes, they bleed with aplomb, fine. I will give a brief shout-out to Julianna Guill, just for being so spectacularly gorgeous.

Nispel's direction isn't as stylish or confident I expected. I was a fan of his version of "Texas Chainsaw," but he didn't do so well here. Beyond a couple memorable images (such as a machete-wielding Jason atop a roof, silhoutted against the night sky), there's not much to mention. Energy is a bit low, the cinematography doesn't pop out, and, sadly, the gore isn't spectacularly inventive (c'mon, Bay!). Beyond a nicely nasty below-the-pier head wound, I've already forgotten most of the slashings. And the slashings are the reason you go see this type of movie. This film should have more memorable in this department.

Overall, I was mildly entertained, but it's nothing special. Maybe it's my fault for believing a Friday the 13th movie, with the right ingredients, could be...?

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:32 pm
College Boy Z

It.

Was.

AWESOME!

(like, what else did you expect me to say?)

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:19 pm
Top Poster

The nudity made this a borderline B- instead of C+.

Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:32 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

Disappointing. Its not the worst current horror remake since Hitcher takes that title but there was no point in this remake. The kills itself seems very standard and wasnt any gorier than Friday the 13th part 4 to the last one. I give high marks to Hill Has Eyes because they were able to take an outdated movie and make it more intense and gorier than the original. While the original Friday the 13th wasnt really bloody or gory, the characters werent as annoying or act like such creeps as the new ones. I have to get back to the subject of gore because on that scale this new movie ranks way below those of the Texas Chainsaw remake and HHEs

C-

Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:34 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

What a piece of shit. Dumb hot people get killed, horrible camerawork where you can hardly see anything, even Jason was boring....I wish Hollywood would stop recycling the same shit over and over again.

D

Mon Feb 16, 2009 2:28 am
Reply to topic   [ 80 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next