Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Nattvardsgästerna [Winter Light] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 1

Nattvardsgästerna [Winter Light] 

Post Nattvardsgästerna [Winter Light]
Winter Light

Quote:
Winter Light (Swedish: Nattvardsgästerna, literally "The Communicants") is a 1962 Swedish drama film written and directed by Ingmar Bergman and starring Bergman regulars Gunnar Björnstrand, Ingrid Thulin and Max von Sydow. The film follows Tomas Ericsson (Björnstrand), pastor of a small rural Swedish church, as he questions the existence of God and his faith is replaced with doubt, apathy and anger.

Bergman cited Winter Light as his favorite among his films. It is sometimes considered the second in his 'Trilogy of Faith', the first film being Through a Glass Darkly and the third The Silence. Vilgot Sjöman's film Ingmar Bergman Makes a Movie was made simultaneously with Winter Light and documents its production.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:53 pm
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Nattvardsgästerna [Winter Light]
It's undeniably stark and effective, but I felt it was a little too on the nose in its methods. Bergman is not especially known for his subtlety, but the dialogue and character interactions here are rather pointed and obvious, and it ruins the overall effect for me.

Still, it's rather brilliantly made, with some beautiful cinematography, heartbreaking performances, and powerful reverberating themes. Gunnar Björnstrand is the unsung hero of Bergman's cinema. He's absolutely superb.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:18 pm

By far my least favorite Bergman of the five I have seen thus far, or in other words, It's very very good. It is his most toned down and mild film, dealing with no nudity or violence and is the least active in terms of dialogue and mise-en-scene. The medatative and somber nature is effective, as always, however the film has no shock value or intensity. It is dangerously close to being boring, although never really is. The only scene that is particularly memorable is Marta's letter, which is magnificient, the rest is just so.... calm. A strong film, but compared to other Bergman films, nothing special.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:52 pm
The Incredible Hulk

'god, why have you forsaken me?'

this was one of the greatest bergman moments to date. it meanders a bit when he enters relationship territory, so it ain't quite a masterpiece, but it's otherwise great. should have purely focused on the faith angle imo.

A (90)

Sun Oct 13, 2013 2:57 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]