Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Man of the House (2005) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
C 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Man of the House (2005) 
College Boy Z

Post Man of the House (2005)
Man of the House

Quote:
Man of the House is a 2005 crime comedy film directed by Stephen Herek, written by John J. McLaughlin and Scott Lobdell, and starring Tommy Lee Jones. The main plot revolves around Lt. Roland Sharp (portrayed by Jones), a lonesome Texas Ranger who goes undercover as an assistant cheerleading coach to protect a group of college cheerleaders (Christina Milian, Vanessa Ferlito, Paula Garcés, Monica Keena, and Kelli Garner) who have witnessed a murder. Much of the film was shot in Austin, Texas on the University of Texas campus. Texas Governor Rick Perry has a cameo appearance in the film as himself.

Last edited by zingy on Sun Jul 24, 2005 2:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:49 pm
Superman: The Movie

It was much better than I thought it was going to be, however it's a movie not without flaws, and most of them come in the editing. For instance during one scene, we suddenly learn that one of the cheerleaders has a crush on Tommy Lee Jones, and it is treated like they had talked about it before in the movie. There were also some plotholes left open. However, the movie is still funny (Especially Tommy Lee Jones) and that's why I am giving it a good grade.

B

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:59 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

What a SURPRISINGLY good movie. It's tough making an action comedy that doesn't follow all stereotypical comedy and all stereotypical action. Okay, the action is what you'd expect from an action-comedy, because it's not the main part of the film. This film is all about comedy. Tommy Lee Jones excels in his part, and really is unique for his role. The five cheerleaders never become painfully stereotypical, it's just a rather nice bunch that you don't hate, you find them rather likeable and funny. At first, when Jones takes away their cell phones and they whine, I thought it was going to be like that the entire movie. But, after that, there isn't much to hate about the "fab five".

Something else I was happy about was the writers decided not to travel the same road many movies would have went. Not once is this movie about making Tommy Lee Jones more feminine and less masculine. He's a man all the way, but a gentleman man (make sense?). Easily, these five girls could change him into a more feminine guy, but it doesn't happen. The worst? They make him look a bit better, with a face mask and some cucumber slices over the eyes, but that's it.

The plot itself is thin, and the movie gets going by revealing a supposed good guy is the bad guy, but it's not important. Aside from the start and the end, and perhaps a small scene or two in between, it's not all that significant. Okay, that sounds significant, but the movie really is all about Tommy Lee Jones and the five cheerleaders. Laughs are had a lot in the movie, and I had a great time. It surprised me a lot.

Flaws? Yeah, it got 'em. I hate films that end with the stale, overused "let's go a few months into the future, to see how these characters are now". Also, like jmart said, the one girl's crush on Tommy Lee Jones is set up to be a big shock apparently, but instead of saying "WHAT?!!?", I was more or less like "Umm... what the hell?" It comes out of nowhere, and for NO reason. It serves nothing to the story and nothing to any scenes in the movie. Of course, the action isn't all that hot, but that's forgivable, because the film isn't about action, action is just an element in the film, and they luckily ditch it after the first few minutes. The car explosion is another tiring bit that most action comedies use, that's intended to make the audience think that these characters really are in danger. Well, we know that already. We don't need the sudden explosion. I must say the ending is pretty good, though. The action is light here, and it's more about the girls helping Tommy Lee Jones out.

Anyway, enough on my jumbled mess. The film is hilarious, the film is great, and the characters are really well-done. Not overdone, and not under-developed. Just right. Definitely a huge shock to me. See it for a good time, not for a good plot. Grade: B+

Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:16 am
College Boy Z

Considering it's trailer, I was surprised by this one. I imagined it being a very, very stupid movie. It was. However, it was actually really funny, and kept me mildly entertained. Tommy Lee Jones did decent (for the role this is, he did okay). It was enjoyable watching five hot cheerleaders on the screen, as well. My main problem with the movie was that it wasn't anything new. I see Man of the House as one of those "you've seen em' once, you've seen em' all" type of comedies. Still, it's worthy.

C+

Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:43 pm
rustiphica

Titties, cleavage, more titties. Rusty loves titties. B+

Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:42 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

7/10 (B-)

Sun Mar 20, 2005 4:04 pm
Profile YIM
Forum General

I didn't like this one at all. Lately I've been trying to be "nicer" to movies and I believe I have. I enjoyed the first ten or fifteen minutes of the film, I thought it was fun. Then it started going way downhill. Though I didn't like this at all, I basically hated it, if I was forced to watch it again, I probably would.

3/10 (D-)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:01 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Pure Phase

I don't know, MAN OF THE HOUSE is the definition of "mixed bag." The story's fairly routine for a mainstream comedy: A straight-shooting Texas Ranger (Jones) must protect bubble-headed cheerleaders. They want to have fun, he doesn't know what fun is, hilarity ensues, moral at the end, credits roll. But its all very cute and Jones is always a fun actor, though he was clearly sleep-acting his way through this and I enjoy his more dramatic performances (the underrated Ron Howard western THE MISSING showcased one of his better recent performances). All of the female actresses, spare a wasted and tired-seeming Anne Archer, are appropriately energetic and cutie-pie. I would recommend this to viewers who aren't in search of a masterpiece and just want to see a stupid, fun piece of cinematic cotton candy.

C+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:50 pm
Wallflower

MAN OF THE HOUSE (2005)

"Man of The House" looked like a lame and unfunny comedy dud. Every time I'd hear the "Show me your happy face" / "This is my happy face" bit I'd cringe. I don't think it would have come off quite so annoying had it not been shown over and over in the previews but as is it's one of the most cringe-worthy bits of dialogue in a movie yet this year. No way would I have seen this movie in theaters, but I at least planned on checking it out on DVD, which is exactly what I did. And it was better than I thought it would be. It wasn't exactly funny and most of the jokes fell flat like I expected, but it was amusing and not boring.

The best thing about the movie was easily Kelli Garner (The Aviator, Thumbsucker, Bully) as Barb. She was so adorable and lovable. Her character reminded me a lot of someone Anna Faris would play, and I love her. She doesn't really look like Anna (except her hair is similar to how Anna has it sometimes, like in The Hot Chick), but she did sound like her at times. She also reminded me of Anna's character in The Hot Chick. Barb's crush on Sharp (Tommy Lee Jones) was cute and sweet. Without Kelli Garner and her character Barb I wouldn't have enjoyed it as much. I also liked Vanessa Ferlito (TV's 24, Spider-Man 2, 25th Hour) as Heather and Monica Keena (TV's Dawson's Creek, Freddy vs. Jason, Crime & Punishment In Suburbia) as Evie. But still, Kelli Garner was easily the stand-out. Tommy Lee Jones was fine and did what he had to do. Cedric The Entertainer's small part was really pointless and unfunny.

"Man of The House" is nothing real special, but who would expect it to be? It's not the kind of movie that is meant to be anything more than entertaining. Whether or not it works for you as that depends on what you enjoy. I myself found it to be decent as a rental and not a bad way to kill some time.

Grade: 7/10 (B-)

Fri Jul 29, 2005 6:49 pm

Ehh Tommy was funny at times and there were some luagh out loud moments so I'll be generous just because Tom is one of my favs

overall: B-

Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:07 pm
Orphan

A buttoned-up Texas Ranger has a new mission involving protecting cheerleaders who witnessed a murder and thus may have a person or two after them looking to cover his or her tracks. From this rather well-worn premise a decent film is created. Director Stephen Herek ('Rock Star' and 'Life or Something Like It') knows that his strength isn't in choreographing action sequences so aside from the beginning and a little bit later on, the film is basically devoid of action and instead focuses on comedy.

Thankfully, the comedy is more hit than miss. The differences between the bubbly cheerleaders and the "all business" character type embodied by Tommy Lee Jones are played to the hilt, often hitting their intended target. Because the bulk of the film is spent in one location (the girl's living quarters on the University of Texas campus, director Herek's alma mater) the film needs to have decent material to hold one's interest. From the innocent crush one has Jones to the disparities in how Jones would like the girls to dress and how they themselves want to, the film generates its fair share of laughs. In all, the film is one of the better comedies released this year, especially considering that it was dumped by Sony in the Spring with very little marketing and a low theatre count.

7.5/10

Sat Jul 30, 2005 2:47 am
You must have big rats

A far more enjoyable movie than I thought it would be. Tommy Lee Jones is great in his role that fits him to a T. The chemistry between him and the cheerleaders is good. Certainly, this is nowhere a great or a flawless movie. It is as unrealiistic as you get 'em, not all the acting is convincing and mostly it's pretty dumb, but it made me laugh quite a bit and I never felt bored throughout the whole movie.

Mon Aug 08, 2005 9:26 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Hehe!, What I surprise, I thought this movie was going to suck so bad!, its actually very enjoyable and kinda funny, its dumb, but really fun!

B

Sun Nov 06, 2005 1:11 am
New Server, Same X

Post Re: Man of the House (2005)
I picked this up in a cheap DVD bin and felt nostalgic looking at it (Nostalgic = aroused), so I bought it.

It's as strangely entertaining as it was seven years ago. It's beyond simplistic, obvious and predictable, but it's oddly weird and comforting to see Tommy Lee Jones interact with five cheerleaders for most of the movie. More could have been done there to elicit laughs, but I won't complain about what is essentially "Crotchety old man looks after five hot teens!"

***/****

Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:43 am
On autopilot for the summer

Post Re: Man of the House (2005)
I actually enjoyed this as well.

I remember watching this in theaters with my cousin and we both went "Oh Come on" with that alley shooting scene. But this has more laughs and more entertaining than it has any right to be.

B-

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:46 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]