Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:46 am

Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Valkyrie 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
B 61%  61%  [ 11 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

Valkyrie 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Valkyrie
Valkyrie

Quote:
Valkyrie is a 2008 American historical thriller film set in Nazi Germany during World War II. The film depicts the 20 July plot in 1944 by German army officers to assassinate Adolf Hitler and to use the Operation Valkyrie national emergency plan to take control of the country. Valkyrie was directed by Bryan Singer for the American studio United Artists, and the film stars Tom Cruise as Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg, one of the key plotters. The cast included Kenneth Branagh, Bill Nighy, Eddie Izzard, Terence Stamp and Tom Wilkinson.

Cruise's casting caused controversy among German politicians and members of the von Stauffenberg family due to the actor's practice of Scientology, which is viewed with suspicion in Germany. Because of this, the film makers initially had difficulty setting up filming locations in Germany, but they were later given access to film in locations pertaining to the film's story, such as Berlin's historic Bendlerblock. German newspapers and filmmakers supported the film and its attempt to spread global awareness of von Stauffenberg's plot.

The film changed release dates several times, from as early as June 27, 2008 to as late as February 14, 2009. The changing calendar and poor response to United Artists' initial marketing campaign drew criticism about the studio's viability. After a positive test screening, Valkyrie's release in North America was ultimately changed to December 25, 2008. United Artists renewed its marketing campaign to reduce its focus on Cruise and to highlight Singer's credentials. The film received mixed reviews in the United States. It opened commercially in Germany on January 22, 2009, where reports were mixed about the German reception of the film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Wed Dec 24, 2008 11:54 am
Extraordinary

Post Re: Valkyrie
let the hate begin...

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Wed Dec 24, 2008 3:44 pm
Profile WWW
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Box wrote:
let the hate begin...

Seriously, who the fuck would see something like this at Christmas??

Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:38 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

I'll be there, well Im seeing this Button, Gran Torino, and Bedtime Stories over the next couple days. Who gives a shit what time of the year it is, I'll see well made thrillers anytime.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Thu Dec 25, 2008 3:12 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Thegun wrote:
I'll be there, well Im seeing this Button, Gran Torino, and Bedtime Stories over the next couple days. Who gives a shit what time of the year it is, I'll see well made thrillers anytime.

Good for you Gun.. I only hope everyone else feels the same way and I'm fairly confident that the only people in attendance for this opening day will be YOU, The Cameraman, and the Usher.. :funny:

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:22 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

MR. GREEN wrote:
Good for you Gun.. I only hope everyone else feels the same way and I'm fairly confident that the only people in attendance for this opening day will be YOU, The Cameraman, and the Usher.. :funny:

I think a max of one non-review post in any thread in the Everyone's A Critic forum should be the limit before a film has been released.

BKB had no luck promoting his Valkyrie hate agenda, so it's time for him to move on.

Personally, I'm seeing Benjamin Button this afternoon, but if the showtime had been better, I would have happily seen Valkyrie today.

Bring on the actual reviews...

:thumbsup:

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:53 am
Teenage Dream

Got dragged to saw it today with my dad. I can definitely confirm that the showing we were at was sold out, so I wouldn't expect this to be too big of a financial disaster.

I actually agree with a lot of what bradley said. Singer is in classic Singer mode here - he does as little as necessary to elevate the aesthetic slightly above TV movie quality, and then lets a fairly engaging premise do all the heavy lifting. It's not god awful by any stretch, but it is a decidedly pedestrian affair.

I'm out the door to see Benjamin Button.

Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:12 pm
Extraordinary

BTW - - what a tremendous waste of the talent of actress Carice van Houten!

She was so freakin' fantastic as the central character in Zwartboek [Black Book], that you'd think they could find her an English-speaking role that's more than the simple window dressing she's relegated to here...

(...and also - - was that Sarah Silverman as a secretary in the later scenes in Berlin?!?)

Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:26 pm
Orphan

makeshift wrote:
Got dragged to saw it today with my dad. I can definitely confirm that the showing we were at was sold out, so I wouldn't expect this to be too big of a financial disaster.

I actually agree with a lot of what bradley said. Singer is in classic Singer mode here - he does as little as necessary to elevate the aesthetic slightly above TV movie quality, and then lets a fairly engaging premise do all the heavy lifting. It's not god awful by any stretch, but it is a decidedly pedestrian affair.

Pretty much agree with the two reviews already posted. Singer is an overrated director as this did not look like something that cost $100M. Slightly above TV movie quality is about right.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:47 am

Based off the terribly boring and dull (and overrated) Usual Suspects, I'd agree that Singer himself is overrated.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:36 pm
Sbil

Not paced tightly enough but a solid picture overall. Considering everyone knows how the movie will turn out, Bryan Singer does a reasonable job maintaining suspense. In my opinion, Tom Cruise eases concerns he would be wildly miscast in the film, delivering an effective lead performance. The talented supporting cast (Kenneth Branagh, Tom Wilkinson, Bill Nighy, Carice von Houten) is also strong. I'm glad I didn't see this movie on Christmas Day (it's not exactly cheerful) but it's definitely worth seeing at some point. B

Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:52 pm
I'm Batman

It's a film of two halves. The first half is pretty much a bore, but once the actually plot to assassinate Hitler starts it's intense and interesting. Good jobs all around on the acting front, nothing really sticks out as bad. There's no way anyone can say Cruise is laughable in this one.

- B+

Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:05 pm

Yeah, pretty solid all around, but I think it may be Singer's weakest film to date. Though I think it fullfilled more than Superman Returns. Good story told effectively

B/B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:30 pm
Superfreak

I thought this was an excellent movie. Cruise's character and his relationshhip with his family is defiently underwritten, but it is still suspenseful and at times riveting. However, there are defiently moments that juust seem more like a miss than a hit; ones that should have been better. Cruise is fantasic.

B+

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 pm

Id say its only real fault is being PG-13, I think if R it could have been in amazing categories.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:31 pm
He didn't look busy?!

is there a way to change or remove a grade? I thought I clicked on the Yes Man thread and gave this a C. Not that it really matters, I guess...

Sun Dec 28, 2008 2:48 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Although Alex Masterson of E! Online is right on the money when he put this gem in his review,
Quote:
"...Valkyrie suffers from the most foregone conclusion since Titanic."
(He's a geeeeniussss!) Valkyrie is one of the better thrillers this year if not the best. It's not a great movie though. I thought the film could've used more scenes between Stauffenberg and his wife. I also would've like to have seen more buildup to the actual operation. There's some tension, planning, one false alarm, and then all of a sudden it starts. The film works though simply because Singer knows what he's doing when it comes to tension. Yes, Masterson you are correct, but the film is not about the conclusion.

It's one of the more engaging films this year.

***1/2

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sun Dec 28, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW
He didn't look busy?!

This could have been SO much worse, so it's a relief that it came out as a problematic, yet very entertaining thriller. Okay, so there are some big problems. American and British actors playing Germans. You're just gonna have to live with it. And we all know how it ends... this could have been a bigger problem, but Singer handles the film well enough that you ultimately are still gripping your seat as it all unfolds. It reminded me of how I felt watching Revenge of the Sith, in that big scene where Anakin kills Mace Windu. You know it's going to happen, yet it still pisses you off when it does. The (big) cast was fun to watch, and this is exactly the kind of smart entertainment that Cruise needs to get his career back on track. Between this and Tropic Thunder, it's been a great year for the man.

B

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:04 am
Profile WWW

I agree, and it really captures the sense o how close they were. It really was Bill's character, as in actuality the Wolf's Lair had no communication for 4 hours. Valkyrie was suppose to take only about 3 hours to complete, so if there wasn't that hesitation it would have been at least a much greater success.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:

Mon Dec 29, 2008 2:38 am
loyalfromlondon

I didn't hate it, but it's definitely not anything special. It's basically the cinematic equivalent of a Dan Brown novel: goes down smooth, but doesn't give you any lingering side effects (for better or worse). It's entirely devoted to its thriller premise, and doesn't let anything distract from that - whether it be character development, interesting camerawork, or artistic direction of any kind. It's a movie with the sole purpose of telling its story, and while that may work for lesser viewers, I found the whole thing kinda bland. Entertaining, sure. Interesting, nah.

Meh.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:08 am
Pure Phase

Tense, fascinating movie, sharply directed by Bryan Singer and well-acted by a strong ensemble. Tom Cruise proves the detractors wrong and gives a convincing, memorable performance as German hero Colonel Claus von Stauffenberg.

One of the year's ten best movies.

A-

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:31 am
Pure Phase

trixster wrote:
...and while that may work for lesser viewers.

Seriously?

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:48 am
loyalfromlondon

Seriously. I'm a snob.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Dec 29, 2008 3:49 am
Superman: The Movie

trixster wrote:
Seriously. I'm a snob.

No that's just being a cunt. :lol:

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:12 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Call it what you want. Just know that, in fact, I am better than you.

Same.

Algren wrote:

Mon Dec 29, 2008 4:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next