Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Somersault 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Somersault 

Post Somersault
Somersault

Quote:
Somersault is an Australian independent film, written and directed by Cate Shortland and released in September 2004. The film was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2004 Cannes Film Festival. It also swept the field, winning every single feature film award - thirteen in total - at the 2004 Australian Film Institute Awards.

Exploring the themes of teenage sexuality and emotion, Somersault is about a 16-year-old girl named Heidi (played by Abbie Cornish) who runs away from home to the ski fields of Jindabyne in New South Wales. There she meets Joe (played by Sam Worthington), the son of a local farmer, and tries to form a relationship with him, despite his difficulty in expressing his emotions. He also seems to be unsure of his sexual orientation, while having better than average luck meeting girls.

The soundtrack is written and performed by Australian band Decoder Ring. Some scenes were shot at the Ryrie homstead at Michelago, New South Wales.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:29 am
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

Watching Somersault made me think that trixster might like this a lot. Why so? Because the movie is really heavy on visual style which is unusual for what could otherwise been a pretty straight-forward drama. As far as its storyline goes, it still is, only spiced with some really pretty visual and sound effects. The cinematography is pretty beautiful, the play with colors very interesting and the mise-en-scène's often original and eye-catching.

That said, I was underwhelmed by this Australian flick that was showered with film prizes in its native country. The movie is essentially a story about two young people, both in search for themselves. It's a coming-of-age story, but one of sexual awakening (or rather blossoming as in the case of this film). Abbie Cornish's Heidi is clearly the main character and the film's focus, with Sam Worthington's Joe playing the second fiddle, but both characters are underexplored by the screenplay. I can't blame the Cate Shortland's steady directing hand, but her writing is not up to par with it. It's an interesting story, but beyond the nifty cinematography it offers little insight into either of the characters. In particular Sam Worthington's Joe is a muddled one which is not helped by his rather unconvincing "brooding" play. Far too many things are touched upon during the film's 106-minutes running time, but little is explored. Abbie Cornish does her best here with what she is given and I doubt we've seen a better performance by her so far as she does the fragile and vulnerable Heidi pretty well, but the screenplay just doesn't allow her much. Her character is very interesting in concept, but the film simply does not delve deep enough into it.

As for the supporting roles, there are several missed opportunities again. Lynette Curran is very solid, though and her plotline is at least somewhat more "complete". I loved the final scene between her and Heidi. Sadly, the movie's lacking more moments as profound as that one.

Somersault is a movie full of potential, filled with some solid actors and directed competently with some interesting experimental leanings, but the screenplay undermines a lot of the ambition.

Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:13 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

Post Re: Somersault
I thought this one was great. Loved the cinematography and the music. Abbie Cornish gives an excellent performance.

8/10 (B+)

Sat Jan 03, 2009 9:02 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]