Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:29 pm

Reply to topic  [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Doubt 

What grade would you give this film?
A 32%  32%  [ 6 ]
B 58%  58%  [ 11 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 19

Doubt 

Post Doubt
Doubt

Quote:
Doubt is a 2008 film adaptation of John Patrick Shanley's Pulitzer Prize winning fictional stage play Doubt: A Parable. Written and directed by Shanley and produced by Scott Rudin, the film stars Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Amy Adams, and Viola Davis, who were all nominated for Oscars at the 81st Academy Awards. It premiered on October 30, 2008 at the AFI Fest before being distributed by Miramax Films in limited release on December 12, 2008 and in a wide release on Christmas Day.

Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:29 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Doubt [2008]
Too darn stagey!!!

I can just imagine how great this is as a live stage show - - spinetinglingly good I'm guessing. But unfortunately this film adaptation is sorely lacking.

First off, and most shocking to me, was the very average acting going on here - - this was far from the best work of any of the three leads. For example, Amy Adams was already 10x better than this, only earlier this year in the tragi-comically under-rated Miss Petigrew Lives For A Day. Ms Streep's reputation, of course, precedes her. And PSH? Hello! Synecdoche, anyone?!? Doubt was absolutely pedestrian work for these three super pros.

The story while subtly told, ends up just too blandly historically accurate to engage this viewer - - and I'm part of the target audience. I guess I wanted to see a few more emotional fireworks and tawdry plot twists - - The Thorn Birds II: Nun Too Certain - - mighta been more my speed...

As it is, it is surely a sober examination of an important issue, and should be revered for that alone, if nothing else.

...but sadly, I have to rate Doubt a paltry:

4 out of 5.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:13 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'm going to post a mini-review in a bit, but I felt that the performances were absolutely brilliant across the board. All four of the leads deserve the acclaim they are getting - and Viola Davis upstages everyone in her ten-minute scene, which is my favorite movie moment of the year.

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:21 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:
I'm going to post a mini-review in a bit, but I felt that the performances were absolutely brilliant across the board. All four of the leads deserve the acclaim they are getting - and Viola Davis upstages everyone in her ten-minute scene, which is my favorite movie moment of the year.

She is great, but the movie in it's strictness of POV, necessarily treats her peripherally...

Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:24 am
Extraordinary

oh, sister

Last edited by snack on Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Dec 24, 2008 2:45 am
He didn't look busy?!

amazing acting and sharp dialogue make up for an uneventful plot and overly obvious messages. Streep is amazing, as usual, but Hoffman, Adams, and Davis all hold up very well against her.

B+

Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:11 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Do you know what the very entertaining and surprisingly trashy movie Doubt is missing? Doubt.

Every perplexing choice from Shanley and the badly miscast Phillip Seymour Hoffman (playing a lecher you neither believe nor, crucially, want to believe) seems to suggest the dude's guilty. As a result, the movie makes zero thematic or narrative sense.

Snack, interesting thoughts on this loony Streep performance. Her fun scenery-chewing and histrionics take this movie to another place entirely; somewhere I'm not entirely sure it should be. She's deeply entertaining, but I'm not sure I can think of a less generous actress.

Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:12 am
Veteran

I went in with really high expectations, which I rarely do, and they were met to an extent. The most surprising thing for me was how fastly paced the movie was. I was stunned when it was over and I knew the running time before going in. The acting was amazing, of course it was, I mean look at the cast. Streep is hilarious and wickedly evil at the same time. Amy Adams is really good and nomination worthy I feel. PSH is good, and great at times but at other times miscast. I felt he was trying maybe to hard, a long with this movie. My thoughts are still all over the place, I can either give this a B or an A, but im stuck. Voila Davis was brilliant but her time on screen, was way to short I felt. She was great but not enough to warrant a win. As for the movie itself, I liked the first half better than the second half, it had more depth and strength. The source material is good, but it at time felt like it was trying to be to wise while being simple, like the whole scene with the cat, and the thunder, the blowing out of her light, etc... very amateur stuff. Also the film is basically in the trailer, watch that you've seen the best parts of the movie. Again the acting was incredible and some scenes, like Streep and Hoffman going head to head were great but my thoughts are still all over.I'll be back with a grade and a proper consensus of my thoughts a little later.

Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:18 pm
Pure Phase

Terrific film. The performances are electrifying, the storyline is fast-paced and involving, and the themes are relevant and should result in many interesting post-viewing conversations. Meryl Streep and Philip Seymour Hoffman both give complex, rewarding performances. My opinions regarding these characters, their aims, and their relationship changed multiple times throughout the film, so I was always on the edge of my seat. Amy Adams is wonderful and very charming and holds her own against Meryl and Philip in many emotional scenes, while Viola Davis is absolutely devastating in her small (but pivotal) role.

I definitely recommend Doubt. It's a small, character and idea-driven piece with energy and emotional wallop to spare.

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:42 pm
Sbil

Superb acting all across the board is the highlight of Doubt, a film that provides no easy answers or solutions to the conflict between certainty and doubt. Refreshingly, the film never actually explains what really happened in the film's central "situation." It is up to the audience to examine their own doubts and certainties, making us no more in the know than any of the characters. Meryl Streep is incredible, vanishing into the role of Sister Aloysius and never looking back. She's equal parts intimidating and weak, clasping onto her certainty because it's all she has. Philip Seymour Hoffman is not quite as good but definitely holds his own against Streep; it's his ambiguous performance that has a lot to do with the movie's power. It's unfortunate Amy Adams hasn't been receiving that much attention for her performance as the nun caught in the middle because she is wonderful, essentially serving as the audience's eyes and ears. Finally, Viola Davis makes a strong impression in her brief screen time, perhaps being responsible for Doubt's most emotionally wrenching moment. A lot of people might find the film too over-the-top or be frustrated by its lack of answers, but I think that's the point. When there's no proof in a situation to say something did or did not happen, we must decide for ourselves, and that's where ethical dilemmas can emerge. A-

Tue Dec 30, 2008 6:43 pm
Kypade

It's a rare day when Meryl Streep is holding back your film. She's not bad, but she's not particularly good. PSH and especially Amy Adams are incredible, though. It's a little too...hm, broad? I dunno, it could have been a little more streamlined and classy, but otherwise it's one of my favorites of the year. All kindsa engaging and fun and exciting.

Tue Dec 30, 2008 7:37 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

One of the best casts of the year, everyone really brings the movie to life. Sadly, the acting was way ahead of the movie itself. They never really talked about him molesting the kid, the hinted to it sometimes but all they really talked about mainly was the alter wine. So I thought that was a little strange, and in the end, Streep only made things worse. So really, I didn't like how the movie turned out. Well now that the bashing's done, I didn't not like the movie if it seems that way, the movie would get probably a B/B-, but the A+ acting from everybody makes me give this a

B+

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 pm
Confessing on a Dance Floor

Great acting no doubt. But horribly made and boring dialogue. B-

Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:03 am
All Star Poster

THis was a very awkward movie for me. Like most people, I too think that the acting was very good, especially Streep; however, that last scene with her breaking down was so unbelievable. Now i'm not sure if it was Streep herself that was not believable, or was it the entire storyline made it feel as if Streep's character would never do that. I'm guessing it's more of the latter. I actually liked Hoffman a lot, but I think they could've actually cast someone whose voice doesn't sound as sleezy (I guess i still think of the Talented Mr. Ripley when I see him in a movie).

What I enjoyed most about the story was the concentration on the effects of sexism within the Church and how a woman can still find some sense of agency when she is in a very powerless situation at times. My favourite scene was the first accusation scene and the swapping of characters sitting on the main chair.

Still a pretty good movie, but I was really hoping for more.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:04 am
Profile WWW

thompsoncory wrote:

Couldn't agree more, you said it all, that ten minute scene is perhaps the best in movie history, all the strongest writing is reserved for that great moment, and the other 3 are all fantastic. I love the writing too, the directing is strong as well. All and all best movie of the year that I've seen. 9.5/10

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:26 am
All Star Poster

Benjamin Milk wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

Couldn't agree more, you said it all, that ten minute scene is perhaps the best in movie history, all the strongest writing is reserved for that great moment, and the other 3 are all fantastic. I love the writing too, the directing is strong as well. All and all best movie of the year that I've seen. 9.5/10

I had to go to the washroom during the 2nd half of this scene :oops: :( My friend told me about how great it was. Maybe i'll try youtubing it.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:28 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

Benjamin Milk wrote:
thompsoncory wrote:

lol

Fri Jan 02, 2009 9:47 am
Homo Dperious

lol, hey we can still all have our own opinions. :P

I mean if Fight Club were just released and someone wrote that sort of thing I probably would have laughed at it before seeing the movie.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:00 am
Profile ICQ
Extraordinary

lol

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:03 am
Homo Dperious

What did you like so much about it Benjamin Milk?

In any case, it's not that big a deal. It's still only a line in a movie. How much depends on that? :P

Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:32 am
Profile ICQ

snack wrote:
the first 2/3rd's were a sort of sick comedy. intentionally, I think.
the last 1/3rd was a sort of sick comedy. unintentionally, I think.

Doubt was about as subtle as Crash, but fortunately not as obtusely holier-than-thou. It is very silly, often almost farcical, with a few desolately serious moments that, while all acted marvelously, create a terribly confused film, which is oddly bolstered by its comedy, not tragedy.

ok...so I think a lot of people are going to dismiss Streep as "good as usual," but not much more. However, she is fantastic. Her performance is over the top, ironic, and deprecatory of the script which surrounds it, more Bette Davis than Meryl, and the film is elevated from sappy Lifetime Channel Original Movie to some odd crossbreed between misanthropic screwball, proper staged melodrama, and hardcore clash of the titans. PSH and Adams get what she's doing, I think, and react appropriately while also providing the heart which Meryl's nun lacks.

however, in the final act, the script and direction can no longer sustain Meryl's performance, which is smarter than the rest of the film, and instead of the intended intensity the film ends on a forgetful note that pales relative to its conception.

of course, there are emotionally charged exceptions, some of them brilliant in fact [aka Viola Davis, the final scene, and a few other bits and pieces] that succeed somewhat in joining the film, but overall, don't make the huge impact they were intended to.

It's an entertaining movie, not tremendously so, but fun enough, all thanks to our best working actress and the two (possibly future best-working actors) that support her. Viola's scene was the stuff of cinema, but unfortunately, as Bradford mentioned, her role is peripheral to the rest of the film, and loses its opportunity to be a legendary scene because it is completely lost in the movie that surrounds it.
realize that the movie's intentionally ridiculous and you'll have a good time.

As subtle as Crash? seriously? No. I'm not saying it's symbolism wasn't obvious for the most part, but Crash didn't even try for metaphors it just went right out there. Doubt at least put forth the effort. I will submit a mini-review soon (perhaps later today) but for now I'll just say that a film that was as much of an obvious acting vehicle as this and yet still maintained as thrilling dialogue and great directing/cinematography as this is quite an impressive movie.

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:33 pm

DP07 wrote:

In any case, it's not that big a deal. It's still only a line in a movie. How much depends on that? :P

I will explain all soon in my mini-review, although I will say that I am no reviewer and, being only 18, have relatively limited knowledge of films, especially since I've only gotten really into movies in the last year or so, keep that in mind when reading my more emphatic opinions.

Sun Jan 04, 2009 7:37 pm
Leader of the Pack

Benjamin Milk wrote:
DP07 wrote:

I will explain all soon in my mini-review, although I will say that I am no reviewer and, being only 18, have relatively limited knowledge of films, especially since I've only gotten really into movies in the last year or so, keep that in mind when reading my more emphatic opinions.

Hey, don't worry about it man... I started doing it my freshman year of high school (15 years old) knowing nothing except that i love movies and i love to write. When i look back at my reviews from when i started, i can't belive how awful they were. But now today (20 years old), with much persistence, i would like to think i have vastly improved and am proud to throw my 2 cents into publication.

If you have a strong opinion about a movie and have dictionary.com/thesaurus.com you should be able to write a good review! As long as a passion is there, age and film wisdom/knowledge won't hold you back (too much anyways...) :thumbsup:

Sun Jan 04, 2009 11:15 pm
Teenage Dream

Benjamin Milk wrote:
that ten minute scene is perhaps the best in movie history

Um, what?

Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:50 am
Homo Dperious

Benjamin Milk wrote:
DP07 wrote:

Heh, I don't mind. I don't think movie knowledge is the most important part. I think most people watch movies for those sort of emphatic opinions. So, if you wrote them well, I'm sure people might get more out of them than many reviews.

Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:23 am
Profile ICQ
Reply to topic   [ 158 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next