Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Zatôichi 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Zatôichi 

Post Zatôichi
Zatôichi

Quote:
Zatōichi (座頭市) is a 2003 Japanese samurai drama and action film, directed, written, co-edited, and starring Takeshi Kitano ("Beat" Takeshi) as his eleventh film. Kitano plays the role of the blind swordsman.

The film is a revival of the classic Zatōichi series of samurai film and television dramas. It premiered on September 3, 2003 at the Venice Film Festival, where it won the prestigious Silver Lion award, and went on to numerous other awards both at home and abroad. It also stars Tadanobu Asano, Michiyo Okusu, Yui Natsukawa, Guadalcanal Taka, Daigiro Tachibana, Yuko Daike, Ittoku Kishibe, Saburo Ishikura, and Akira Emoto.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:39 am
Profile WWW
loyalfromlondon

Post Re: Zatôichi
Enjoyable enough, I suppose, but the whole thing is plagued by Kitano dumbing down of his style in order to appease and appeal to mainstream crowds. I'm not the biggest fan of his work, but at least there was a sense of tonal consistency in his oeuvre up until this point. This film - hampered by the traditional folk story as well as past incarnations of the role - seems to hover halfway in between a total Kitano work and a bland, mainstream samurai tale. As a result, it's never that interesting or exciting, despite its pure entertainment factor.

It's also got some of the worst CGI I've ever seen, making me wonder why Kitano chose to go that route, given his infamous dislike of the format. It's claimed he did it because he wanted to make the blood and gore appear beautiful, but any number of horror films have done this without using computers, and they all look great. So I don't get it.

But yeah, rather blah film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:03 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]