Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:35 am

Reply to topic  [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Twilight (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
B 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
C 29%  29%  [ 10 ]
D 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
F 18%  18%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 34

Twilight (2008) 
Extraordinary

Post Twilight (2008)
Twilight

Quote:
Twilight is a 2008 American romantic vampire film based on Stephenie Meyer's popular novel of the same name. Directed by Catherine Hardwicke, the film stars Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson. It is the first film in The Twilight Saga film series. This film focuses on the development of the relationship between Bella Swan (a teenage girl) and Edward Cullen (a vampire), and the subsequent efforts of Cullen and his family to keep Swan safe from a coven of evil vampires.

The project was in development for approximately three years at Paramount Pictures, during which time a screen adaptation that differed significantly from the novel was written. Summit Entertainment acquired the rights to the novel after three years of the project's stagnant development. Melissa Rosenberg wrote a new adaptation of the novel shortly before the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike and sought to be faithful to the novel's storyline. Principal photography took 44 days, and completed on May 2, 2008; the film was primarily shot in Oregon.

Twilight was theatrically released on November 21, 2008, grossing over US$392 million worldwide. It was released on DVD March 21, 2009, and became the most purchased DVD of the year. The soundtrack was released on November 4, 2008. Following the film's success, New Moon and Eclipse, the next two novels in the series, were produced as films the following year.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:42 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

Post Re: Twilight (2008)
The only thing im going to complain about is the fans. Seriously, these people are the most annoying crowd i have ever witness on a movie theater. They wouldn't shut the hell up! Every time a white pale guy showed up on the screen they'd screamed like crazy people. When the employee of the theater started asking for the tickets they screamed, when the movie started they screamed, when the damn title of the movie showed up they screamed... and you can pretty much imaging how they reacted when "Edward" appeared, and every time this guy said something sweet to Bella literally everyone was like "aawwwww". :pinch: They were taking pictures, video, it was like they were documenting the moment. I pretty much hated everyone around me.

As for the movie :P , I cant complain about that, its was pretty damn awesome. The baseball scene was pretty sweet, it must be because i love the song they played (Super Massive Black hole by Muse)

A

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:19 am
Killing With Kindness

matatonio wrote:
The only thing im going to complain about is the fans. Seriously, these people are the most annoying crowd i have ever witness on a movie theater. They wouldn't shut the hell up! Every time a white pale guy showed up on the screen they'd screamed like crazy people. When the employee of the theater started asking for the tickets they screamed, when the movie started they screamed, when the damn title of the movie showed up they screamed... and you can pretty much imaging how they reacted when "Edward" appeared, and every time this guy said something sweet to Bella literally everyone was like "aawwwww". :pinch: They were taking pictures, video, it was like they were documenting the moment. I pretty much hated everyone around me.

As for the movie :P , I cant complain about that, its was pretty damn awesome. The baseball scene was pretty sweet, it must be because i love the song they played (Super Massive Black hole by Muse)

A

awesome! I cant wait to see it :D

Spoiler: show
who kills james?

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:29 am
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

BJ wrote:
matatonio wrote:

A

awesome! I cant wait to see it :D

who kills james?

Edward fights him but The Cullens finished the job

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:38 am
Forum General

At last, the long awaited film Twilight, based upon the book of the same title, is released. In most articles on the film, you'll hear about the fan girls screaming when Robert Pattinson appears on scream, and their mothers taking them to the midnight screenings across the country. But when you get down to it, Twilight is so much more than the hype would lead on. It's a story for everyone who believes in true love.

I'm a gigantic fan of the Twilight series, I read all them (spare for the fourth one, as it wasn't released yet) in the matter of a few weeks and instantly fell in love with the books. What made the books so wonderful is that Bella and Edward's relationship felt so real. A lot of things written in the books, out of context, sound incredibly cheesy, but when you read the dialogue in the book, it doesn't come off as cheesy at all. It's just two lovebirds pronouncing their love for each other, and as a reader, you wouldn't have it any other way.

Now the film version is out and many are asking, does it live up to the book? Ultimately, I have to say that it does. I'll say that I was incredibly worried (as were my sold out midnight crowd, nobody knew for sure whether they'd hate it or love it before it started) that one of my favorite books would be desensitized as a run-of-the-mill vampire action flick. And needless to say, it wasn't.

If the two leads weren't cast correctly, the film wouldn't work at all. Thankfully, Bella Swan and Edward Cullen were cast perfectly. Played by Kristin Stewart and Robert Pattinson, every move these characters make, you realize that despite not knowing each other for long, that they are madly in love with each other and would literally do anything for the other person. Their performances were great. The chemistry between the two is smoking hot. Seriously, I don't remember the last time I've seen such chemistry. The scenes between the two are incredibly sensual and sexy.

All in all, Twilight is a must for not just fans of the book, but for just about anyone. Besides a few of my fan boy nit-pickings, the film was absolutely wonderful. I absolutely cannot wait for New Moon.

9/10 (A)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:57 am
Profile YIM WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I hope everyone who sees this spontaneously combusts.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:53 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

B+/A-

very good, much better than i expected, I think the film was better than the book from the baseball game on.

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:00 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

ChipMunky wrote:
I hope everyone who sees this spontaneously combusts.

And I hope that the people who unfairly bash this movie get hit by a tractor trailer. :)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:39 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Leader of the Pack

I honestly don't believe it... I freaking loved it... :| A-

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:26 pm
Team Kris

I think Comingsoon.net Weekend Warrior said it just right.

"Why you shouldn't see this movie? If you are a guy."

I must confess I was duped into seeing this with a group of friends, majority female. I kinda knew what I had in store for me, but I had no freakin idea. What followed was the corniest, chessiest love story I have ever seen. I was hoping for at least some bloody vampire action, but there was almost none of that to be found. I have never, ever felt more out of place sitting in a movie theater than I did tonight. (Imagine 24 yr old, male, leather jacket wearing a UFC hat sitting in the middle of teenage swooning). Walking out the of the theater I had to make sure my balls were still attached. ;)

Now I'm sure the target audience is going to eat this up as my theater did, but for me, I thought I was going to be sick. I feel so dirty I must watch Rambo promptly to restore my manhood. :guns:

I think this grade reflects what most guys who got dragged to this movie tonight are feeling-

D

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:32 pm
Profile WWW
Killing With Kindness

Leader of the Pack wrote:
I honestly don't believe it... I freaking loved it... :| A-

way kewl :thumbsup:

Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:47 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I was engaged and entertained the whole time. Robert Pattison is just so dreamy. I totally have a crush on him. It's pure entertainment and it could have had better quality. But overall, I walked away liking it a lot. B+

Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:05 am
Forum General

Someone rated this an F and didn't post a review. I am SHOCKED. ;)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:08 am
Profile YIM WWW
je vois l'avenir

for a movie that just grossed 35 million in one day, there aren't too many posts in this thread.

----Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Le Petit Prince)

A Lonely Person is at Home Everywhere.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:17 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

that's probably due to snobbery by certain sects (or 90%) of the KJ community.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:20 pm
On autopilot for the summer

Easy, Twilight= Crazy chick flick. KJ=Many single guys

I really knew nothing about the film or even knew it was out, but this girl I'm seeing really wanted too. It was overall uneventful and didn't really do much. It was probably about a good as the Covenant or some second rate film. C-

I had more fun talking about the insanity in the theater. Even though I basically put everyone in there on my list of people to kill.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sat Nov 22, 2008 4:57 pm
Team Kris

Thegun wrote:
Easy, Twilight= Crazy chick flick. KJ=Many single guys

I really knew nothing about the film or even knew it was out, but this girl I'm seeing really wanted too. It was overall uneventful and didn't really do much. It was probably about a good as the Covenant or some second rate film. C-

I had more fun talking about the insanity in the theater. Even though I basically put everyone in there on my list of people to kill.

I don't think it matters where you live in the country, when Edward first shows up on screen, every tween screamed their damn lungs out. The only male counterpart that I can think of is when Swordfish came out, a group of college guys gave Halle Berry a standing ovation for her topless scene.

Sat Nov 22, 2008 5:14 pm
Profile WWW
On autopilot for the summer

Grindhouse had some good ones, but that was warranted, something awesome would happen and they would react.

People being obnoxious and just screaming at a guy as if hes in the fucking theater is just poor movie etiquete, and God really shouldn't like them for that, haha.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:18 am
Devil's Advocate

It's not god awful or embarrasing or anything, it's just by the numbers and sort of dull. There's way too many meaningless scenes. The first 90 minutes consists of Bella meets Edward... Bella hangs around with friends at school... Bella meets Edward again and has slightly more revealing conversation... Bella talks with dad and native boy... Bella has slightly revealing confrontation with Edward... Bella goes to beach with friends... Bella meets Edward again and learns a bit more... Bella talks about prom... Bella and Edward have over the top fight in forest... Bella talks with mum and dad... Bella hangs out with Edward more... rinse and repeat. The plot just plods, other than Bella and him kissing by the 80 minute mark or so and setting up some people around town getting vamped. The movie runs over 120 minutes as a whole, they could've EASILY cut out 30 minutes of these meaningless scenes and made a much, much more tight film. I imagine on rewatches sifting through them would be unbearable.

Then in the last 30 minutes after the baseball match it goes with the most by the numbers, been-there climax you could possibly imagine. Edward being forced to suck Bella's blood to save her life by the numbers. It also runs into the same old "Evil guy has your mom and tells you to come alone to this place or he'll kill her. Option a) Go alone and get killed, which does nothing to save your mom at all, or Option b) Get your 7 super strong and fast vampire friends who want to rip him apart to come with you. Hmm... OPTION A IS THE CHOICE!"

On the positive side, the acting is surprisingly pretty great and the script, forest fight aside, avoids cliche or cheese. It nails the high school scenes and the kids dialog, the supporting roles had good work on them.

But I can't say the movie doesn't feel... lifeless. Between the faux-seriousness of all the characters and story, the rainy day blut tint, and Bella being more pale and vampire-esque than Robert (I thought for a while she WAS a vampire or the chosen one... they even cracked a joke about her skin and the whole thing with him not being able to read her mind was never followed up.. maybe in the sequels); it just didn't seem like these people had any fun or joy and all, ever. On top of that, I wasn't feeling the Bella and Robert chemistry. It was just... off. Again, there was no spark and joy or fun in one another's company... most of the time she just looked frightened and confused and as in the movie's best and most accurate line, he constantly looks like he wants to eat her. I thought the sparks between her and some of her classmates were more believable.

It feels a little cheap... maybe not so much a tv movie feel as much as an indie/low profile studio release... which is exactly what it was. The visual effects and fast motion moments definitely needed work. One part I thought was funny was that after the whole "forest fight", there's clearly a scene where Bella and Edward kiss for the first time, but then when right as they're about to they cut to trees, then they show them sort of lieing down and looking like they're about to sex but then it cuts again. Then later in the movie they have the "first kiss" bit in her room. I'm almost positive they decided to add the second scene later and decided it'd be too much of a hassle to reshoot the first.

Overall, pretty average, forgettable stuff. I'd almost have rather'd it be an over the top super fun campfest... as it is it's pretty much just blehhh. I'd look out for Stewart in the future though, girl has talent.

2/5

Last edited by Shack on Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:53 am
Devil's Advocate

Btw, making the vampires sparkle when exposed to sunlight is quite possibly the worst idea I've ever heard. It's even funnier how it comes out in the movie, with him a super serious tone setting up the reveal like it'll be the most devastating secret ever and how the world for their own good can't see it... In reality when she saw it she probably would've laughed her head off at him and told him to gtfo. :hahaha:

Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:03 am
All Star Poster

<<One part I thought was funny was that after the whole "forest fight", there's clearly a scene where Bella and Edward kiss for the first time, but then when right as they're about to they cut to trees, then they show them sort of lieing down and looking like they're about to sex but then it cuts again. Then later in the movie they have the "first kiss" bit in her room. I'm almost positive they decided to add the second scene later and decided it'd be too much of a hassle to reshoot the first.>>

They do this on purpose. Edward is supposed to be a true gentleman. No sex until marriage and no kissing until they've gone out on a couple of dates. Plus, Bella would probably have fainted if it was too early, she had to work up to it..... LOL The book is much worse!

Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:58 pm
Profile WWW
Leader of the Pack

Yeah, i felt that alot of stuff was kinda cheesy, but felt overall it really worked... I am definitely among the few who truely liked it, but i still feel that the series can only get better if they keep the same feel and cast. But yeah, here is my review and full opinion.

http://nevadasagebrush.com/blog/2008/11/25/twilight-steals-series-newbies-heart/

Btw, i hate my editor for the title he gave my review, but its true... :wub2:

Tue Nov 25, 2008 4:53 am
The Lubitsch Touch

This wretched little pro-domestic abuse parable passes for an event film? Ugh.

If you aren't completely irritated and pissed at the god-awful color palette of this thing after the first few minutes, you should have your eyes revoked.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:10 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Meh, it was alright. Kristen Stewart's performance was actually really good and elevated this from complete mediocrity. Robert Pattinson was a bland love interest though, I don't get the hype surrounding him at all. The other actors were all underused. The story itself is pretty involving if cliched, and the direction is serviceable given the budget. This just doesn't feel like the big event film it's become at all - it merely feels like a slightly above-average teen flick that really doesn't bring that much new material to the table. C+

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:17 am
Profile YIM
The Lubitsch Touch

thompsoncory wrote:
Meh, it was alright. Kristen Stewart's performance was actually really good and elevated this from complete mediocrity. Robert Pattinson was a bland love interest though, I don't get the hype surrounding him at all. The other actors were all underused. The story itself is pretty involving if cliched, and the direction is serviceable given the budget. This just doesn't feel like the big event film it's become at all - it merely feels like a slightly above-average teen flick that really doesn't bring that much new material to the table. C+

It would be impossible for me to disagree with you more. Her idea of acting seems to be to shake like Michael J. Fox. Really. Watch her emote or simply talk; it never stops.

Wed Nov 26, 2008 2:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 83 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next