Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Constantine 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
C 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 14

Constantine 
College Boy Z

Post Constantine
Constantine

Quote:
Constantine is a 2005 supernatural action film horror film directed by Francis Lawrence, starring Keanu Reeves as John Constantine, with Rachel Weisz, Shia LaBeouf, Tilda Swinton and Djimon Hounsou. The film is based on Vertigo Comics’ Hellblazer comic book, with plot elements taken from the “Dangerous Habits” story arc (issues #41-46) and the “Original Sins” trade paperback.

The film, which was met by film critics with mostly mixed reactions, portrays John Constantine as a cynic with the ability to perceive and communicate with half-angels and half-demons in their true form. He seeks salvation from eternal damnation in Hell for a suicide attempt in his youth. Constantine exorcises demons back to Hell in a bid to earn favor with Heaven but has become weary over time. With death looming, he helps a troubled police detective learn the truth about her sister's death while simultaneously unraveling a much larger and darker plot.

Constantine was released in Hong Kong on February 8, 2005 and in the U.S. and Canada on February 18, 2005.

Last edited by zingy on Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:17 pm
We had our time together

Dispointing Movie. Too many slow moments and not the greatest action. Reeves was replacable, liked him in movies like Something's Gotta Give much more. Stormare and Swinton were both pretty bad. Some of the effects were nice to look at tough. The movie was entertaining tough. Just nothing memorable. B-

Last edited by Riggs on Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:24 pm
Profile WWW
The Original

Nothing Special. Some cool Effects and Reeves fits the Role of Constantine pretty well. The Rest is mediocre.
Buy your Popcorn and have a nice time. For that its ok.
I grade it somewhere between 5/10 and 6/10

After some thinking I give definately 6/10

Its a cool nonbrainer

Last edited by FILMO on Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 6:40 pm
now we know

Hmmmm not looking promising. Look for BIG 2nd weekend drops.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:05 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Dispointing Movie. Too many slow moments and not the greatest action. Reeves was replacable, liked him in movies like Something's Gotta Give much more. Stormare and Swinton were both pretty bad. Some of the effects were nice to look at tough. Every time Reeves smoked a cigarette I wanted to go out of the theater and smoke one too. So you know how that was to me. :razz: Nothing special. B-

Just checking on your B- based on the bolded above? It is just based on your whole review I expected to see closer to a C-.

So if a B- is true, it seems it is still worth a viewing.

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Fri Feb 18, 2005 10:22 am
Profile WWW
We had our time together

Riggs27 wrote:
Dispointing Movie. Too many slow moments and not the greatest action. Reeves was replacable, liked him in movies like Something's Gotta Give much more. Stormare and Swinton were both pretty bad. Some of the effects were nice to look at tough. Every time Reeves smoked a cigarette I wanted to go out of the theater and smoke one too. So you know how that was to me. :razz: Nothing special. B-

Just checking on your B- based on the bolded above? It is just based on your whole review I expected to see closer to a C-.

So if a B- is true, it seems it is still worth a viewing.

B- is true. I was entertained by it, just not as much as I hoped for. I'm not saying it's pure crap. It just had it's flaws.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:25 am
Profile WWW
Award Winning Bastard

This movie was a major disappointment, and it's going to drop like a stone at the BO. It was just not a well made film at all.

The plot is poorly executed, the characters have no life, and it's impossible to care about any of them. My advice is to save your money, or go see Million Dollar Baby instead. For those of you who do go to see it after reading this, please let us know.

D

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:43 pm
Veteran

The movie has a very intriguing plot. The pace is slow, but is worth watching. I Liked Rachel Weisz and Keanu's roles and it is not a horror movie (Hellboy is a good comparision)

B+

Fri Feb 18, 2005 9:51 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Quote:
I remember the first time I saw a trailer for Constantine. I went to see Troy on opening night, and of all the trailers I saw that night, Constantine was stuck in my head. It was a priceless trailer. Seeing Keanu Reeves return in a movie that made me feel like I might see another The Matrix, topped by Rachel Weisz flying through a building and into the sky, and it won me over from that day. Since that day in early May of 2004, I’ve been heavily anticipating the release of Constantine.

Constantine, based on the low-profile comic book, Hellblazer, centers around the character John Constantine (Keanu Reeves). Constantine plays a supernatural detective who wants, more than anything, to get his ticket to Heaven instead of taking his current path to Hell. By doing this, he fights off demons, devils, bats; you name em’, he fights them. In this movie, Constantine joins up with the lovely office Angela Dodson (Rachel Weisz) as she investigates the supposed suicide of her hardcore Christian twin-sister.

Constantine can be compared to a variety of movies. It has a Blade feel to it, where the lone hero fights off the evil of the earth (and, both are based on comic books). At the same time, it’s also got that End of Days feel to it. However, it’s a huge improvement on the disappointing End of Days. I had very high standards for Constantine, and sometimes, that can backfire on me because I might be disappointed if it doesn’t end up meeting my standards. Constantine didn’t have to worry about that, though. It exceeded my expectations. There are numerous things to love about this movie. It’s a blend of a lot of things. Keanu Reeves, known to be a very dull actor in the internet world, finally found his calling as John Constantine. He was perfect for this role. He added lots of humor and style to the role and the movie, which is not what I was expecting. It was very surprising how good he was in this role. In fact, I think all the stars of Constantine did a splendid job. Rachel Weisz definitely stood out in this movie. Her beauty, mixed with her unrecognized acting talent, made the movie all the more better. It was really a great sight to see. Shia LaBeouf, who usually annoys me in the movies he’s in, also had a standout performance as well. Playing John Constantine’s protégé, there were points in the movie where he made Reeves look mediocre.

The thing I enjoyed the most about Constantine, though, was its unique style. Newbie director Francis Lawrence proves himself as a worthy director with this debut into the directing field. The dark tone of Constantine was incredible. The special effects of the movie were literally Oscar-worthy. Dazzling effects. Francis’s interpretation of Hell was inspiring and well, very realistic. In movies like Spawn and End of Days, it shows Hell as a place with a bunch of cages with people in it, and little devils outside poking them with their sticks. Constantine shows a very good view of Hell. I was amazed. I actually thought Constantine was going to be a non-stop action movie, but instead, it turned out to be a detective horror with some great action scenes. Even though it’s not what I thought it was going to be, I still loved it. Now if I think about it, I don’t think I would have liked it as much the other way around. It was one hell of a ride (no pun intended).

There’s not much more to say about Constantine, other than the fact that I loved every minute of it. I got worried at one point that my extreme anticipation would backfire, but thankfully, it was the exact opposite. I can definitely see this as one of my favorites of 2005 when 2006 rolls around.

A

http://www.worldofkj.com/Zingaling-Constantine.php

Last edited by zingy on Fri Mar 18, 2005 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:21 am
You must have big rats

This movie was a major disappointment, and it's going to drop like a stone at the BO. It was just not a well made film at all.

The plot is poorly executed, the characters have no life, and it's impossible to care about any of them. My advice is to save your money, or go see Million Dollar Baby instead. For those of you who do go to see it after reading this, please let us know.

D

I did say that you shouldn't have your hopes up.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:28 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Location: TOP*SECRET ******************** ******************** ******************** ********************
Maverikk wrote:

D

Hopes up ????? / Disappointed ?????. You remember you graded it a B.

There is a big difference between your B and Mav's D. Isn't a B review a PRETTY GOOD but not great movie. Unless, of course, you are just an easy grader or your grades don't make sense? Which I guess is possible?

COVER YOUR EYES
HIDE YOUR WOMEN & CHILDREN
HIT THE IGNORE BUTTON
BUT REMEMBER*****GOLDIE*****ALWAYS KNOWS THE RIGHT/BETTER ANSWER
THIS HAS BEEN A PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT BROUGHT TO YOU BY GOLDIE

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:27 am
Profile WWW
I'm Batman

Dr. Lecter wrote:
Maverikk wrote:

D

Hopes up ????? / Disappointed ?????. You remember you graded it a B.

There is a big difference between your B and Mav's D. Isn't a B review a PRETTY GOOD but not great movie. Unless, of course, you are just an easy grader or your grades don't make sense? Which I guess is possible?

What the hell are you talking about? Lecter just thought it was a decent movie.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 1:51 pm
Indiana Jones IV

the movie is abit slow, but still quite entertaining. i never read any Hellblazer before. but i like Reeves character in this movie, i love how he played as John Constantine. i think it's a worth watching movie. :) the SFX are nice. i give it an A-. maybe i'll be seeing it again in DVD. :)

Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:11 pm
Profile ICQ WWW
Romosexual!

I especially luved Satan,Gaberial and Belthzar :cool: wished there were more scenes of them.
Keanu was cool as usual in these kinds of movies.
I'm going have to pick up the comics and read up on the 'real' constantine.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 2:21 pm
Forum General

Meh...Nothing Special...I had to much anticipation

Characters sucked

C-

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:30 pm
Team Kris

I thought the movie was pretty good. It moved a bit too slow for my tastes but it kept me interested throughout the movie. The SFX were amazing and Reeves character grew on me as the story moved along. I hope this does well enough to make the sequels.
B+

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:46 pm
Profile WWW
Arrrrrrrrrrgggghhhhhhhhhh!

After seeing how dreadful Catwoman and Elektra were, and what a dissappointment that Blade 3 turned out to be, I lost faith on most comic book movies till Batman Begins hits. Well I came inside not expecting too much from the movie, I was drawn into the movie even though I was expecting some action flick and ignoring other users comment that it plays like a horror detective series. It was no action flick but what I saw I really liked, you can say it had alot of elements from eXistenZ, the Matrix, Men in Black and the Exorcist. The movie does a good job playing out philisophical aspects of Heaven and Hell which kept my attention most of the time. I do agree with others that it plays out too slow in the beginning but eventually it builds up gradually that you have your eyes glued to the screen. Although its probably no Matrix but it definately is a good comic book movie on par with the original Blade.
An A-
8.5/10

Sat Feb 19, 2005 9:58 pm
The Kramer

Incredible movie, Zing summed it up pretty well.

What happens during the credits though? I missed it :-/

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:32 am
Sbil

Incredible movie, Zing summed it up pretty well.

What happens during the credits though? I missed it :-/

*spoilers*

After (not during) the credits, Constantine puts his lighter on Chas' gravestone. Chas then flies down and appears, with a set of wings. Obviously he became an angel when he died.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:22 pm
Teenage Dream

I finally saw Constantine last night, and to say I was impressed would be an understatement. I was completely and utterly blown away. Those of you who have said it's more of horror film than an action film are totally right, and I honestly wouldn't want it any other way. It plays perfectly as a horror film. It has such an amazing story that to dilute it with random, five minute long action sequences would be a crime. And oh man, what a story it is. There is seriously enough nuances and subtexts in the film's story to spawn it's own cult following. It's not just the story that is loaded with these little touches, either. The film itself has them, too, and they just add this incredible layer to the film. For example, a man carries the Spear of Destiny north to California which would be a fairly pedestrian event in most films, but in Constantine he walks past a "Got Faith?" billboard, gets hit by a car (a stunning and shocking image, sort of like the "Rabbit In Your Headlight" video from that band UNKLE a couple years back) and walks away unscathed, and has livestock dropping like flies as he walks by them. Also, a cursed priest finds that alcohol bottles refuse to empty their contents into his mouth but as he throws them to the floor they empty out, Satan himself leaves footprints of tar on a tile floor, and a witch-doctor-turned-bartender (the bar he owns is an incredible sight, as it's lite with a harsh, glowing red light and filled with "half-breeds" doing bizarre things to one another) lends Constantine a haunted electric chair so he can literally go to hell. Speaking of hell, the hell portrayed in this film is one of the most unique i've ever seen (time stops when you die, and hell is the exact place you've died - just filled with demons with half of their heads cut off and fire and brimstone). Looking back on this review, I realize it's become more of a description of all of the cool things in this film. It may seem like i'm grasping at straws here, but i'm really not. Constantine is the kind of film that you just have to see to believe. I've never had such a hard time writing a review for a film that I absolutely loved, because the reasons I loved it were the "little things", and those are so hard to put into words. Just know that that nearly everything about this film just works - the visuals (which have a great film noir look to them) are stunning, haunting, and beautiful on a consistent basis that i've seriously never seen before (Francis Lawrence is a huge talent to watch out for), the film itself moves at a great, slow pace and just lets things build to a crescendo and let's things move naturally without the use of annoying action scenes. It's the first comic book based film i've ever seen that isin't made for ADD youth, but for adults that can let a film build naturally and beautifully. So, yeah, I loved Constantine. I think it's a tremendous film, and I can't wait to see when (and if) a film will top it this year. I give it an A-.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 5:56 pm
You must have big rats

Makeshift, your review sounds like an A+, yet you gave it an A-, so what was actually about it that you didn't love? :D

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:14 pm
Profile WWW
Confessing on a Dance Floor

I was a religion major in college and I loved this movie. There is so much theology going on; concepts about hel and heaven; about the nature of angels and satan; subtle philosophies about god and humanity. Then throw in some spectacular visuals.

Not the best ever (Stigmata remains my favorite movie dealing with Catholic "horror") but damn good.

B+

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:28 pm
Teenage Dream

Makeshift, your review sounds like an A+, yet you gave it an A-, so what was actually about it that you didn't love? :D

Well, I would have liked for it to have a bit more of an emotional punch to it, and Keanu is still and always will be a terrible actor.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:32 pm
College Boy T

Keanu is still and always will be a terrible actor.

But, Keanu was the bomb in Sweet November, yo.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:35 pm
Sbil

makeshift wrote:
Keanu is still and always will be a terrible actor.

But, Keanu was the bomb in Sweet November, yo.

Sweet November: One of the many, many bad movies that Charlize Theron was the best thing about (also see (or don't): Curse of the Jade Scorpion, Reindeer Games, Mighty Joe Young, The Yards, Trapped, The Astronaut's Wife and Trial and Error).

Sun Feb 20, 2005 6:42 pm
Reply to topic   [ 62 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next