Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Pride and Glory 

What grade would you give this film?
A 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
B 60%  60%  [ 3 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 20%  20%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 5

Pride and Glory 
Extraordinary

Post Pride and Glory
Pride and Glory

Quote:
Pride and Glory is a 2008 crime drama film directed by Gavin O'Connor. It stars Edward Norton, Colin Farrell, Jon Voight, and Noah Emmerich. The film was released on October 24, 2008, in the United States.

Deputy Chief Francis Tierney (Jon Voight) is the head of a multigenerational police family, which includes his sons Francis, Jr. (Noah Emmerich), Ray (Edward Norton), and his son-in-law Jimmy Egan (Colin Farrell) all being police officers. When four of Francis Jr.'s guys are killed during a shootout turned bad, everything looks straight initially. However, Ray, who is assigned to the investigation, soon discovers something more sinister.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:18 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

Post Re: Pride and Glory
Solid, engaging cop drama. Edward Norton and Colin Farrell both give intense, convincing performances.

It's not perfect -- certain elements, such as one character's dying-of-cancer wife (though Jennifer Ehle gives a very strong performance), seemed extraneous and a pivotal third act fight is ruined by a very curious music selection -- but definitely very good, better than We Own the Night, and worth seeing.

B+

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:25 pm
Well I'm not stoned, I'm just fucked up - I got so high I can't stand up

I was really let down by this, I had high expectations. It was alright though.

C+

Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:49 pm
Full Fledged Member

Some solid acting can't save this boring crime drama. Awful dialogue, predictable story, stale direction and a preposterous and almost laughable final act. Not recommended. D+

Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:33 am
now we know

Somehow this got by me until now. I guess it came out in that 2-year gap from 2007-08 when I didn't watch many films. You'd be forgiven for thinking it was an American Civil War film because it has a shockingly bland title, but it's actually a gripping familial-police drama. I mean, you know you're in good hands when you have the writer-director of Narc and the writer-director of Warrior (who is also the soon-to-be writer-director of Suicide Squad 2). One for the police stuff and the other for the sibling stuff.

Pride and Glory is like a cross between Cop Land and a television cop show such as Law & Order. It has movie quality but with pacing and an episodic nature like a weekly series. Plot focus in one scene, then elsewhere in the next, and so on until about halfway when it moves fully on point. And the second half is quite intense, and it satisfyingly ends with closure and emotion. Great film. It was great to see Edward Norton starring in a film again (I know it was ten years ago but as this film slipped by me it feels new), and the rest of the cast is stellar. Colin Farrell plays the dirty cop (like Peter Berg's Joey Randone) to Norton's Freddy Heflin (though much more wise). I recommend this movie a lot, especially to people that liked Brooklyn's Finest, We Own the Night, and of course, Cop Land.

A

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:42 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

David wrote:
a pivotal third act fight is ruined by a very curious music selection

Are you referring to the Irish tune that plays as they begin to fight? I thought that was a great choice! Reminded me of "Shipping Up To Boston" from The Departed.

Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]