Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 High School Musical 3: Senior Year 

What grade would you give this film?
A 14%  14%  [ 1 ]
B 57%  57%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 29%  29%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 7

Dont Mess with the Gez

Post High School Musical 3: Senior Year

Quote:
High School Musical 3: Senior Year is a musical film released to cinemas in 2008. It is the third and final installment in the High School Musical trilogy. Its theatrical release in the United States began on October 24, 2008. Kenny Ortega returned as director and choreographer, as did all six primary actors.

This latest sequel follows high school seniors Troy,Gabriella and Sharpay as they are faced with the challenging prospect of being separated after graduating from high school. Joined by the rest of their East High Wildcat friends, they stage an elaborate spring musical reflecting their experiences, hopes, and fears about the future.

In spite of receiving mixed reviews, in its first three days of release, High School Musical 3: Senior Year grossed $50 million in North America and an additional $40 million overseas, setting a new record for the largest opening weekend for a musical film.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:37 pm
ef star star kay

Post Re: High School Musical
You forgot number 3

Seemingly the exact same movie with the predecessors, only with new songs; couple music numbers of 'Troy+Gabriella' there, one with 'Sharpay's time' here, followed with 'Troy's I'm confused' music sequence later on. Even though, compare sequence by sequence, it has evolved by large margins. Thanks to the better production and the brilliant choreography.
The laziness of the screenplay also appeared in characters' department. All characters are still poorly developed. Yet, all actors seem much more natural in their roles than they ever were (as they should). But I think that is more because they've grown so much on me.
And yes, the cheesiness can still be found here. Fortunately, compare with what I've been through, HSM3 was less cheesy than the first two by far. Largely because it was more focused on musical numbers rather than, say, movie's script. And this time, it seems like they've learned 'how much' is 'too much'.
The production, as mentioned above, expectantly gets better. Some of musical sequences actually look and feel grand. And the musical sequences were all awesomely done, a big improvement from the first two HSM films. At least, this time, they were done with some style and creativity. The director Kenny Ortega and fellow choreographers Charles Klapow and Bonnie Story have achieved an impressive work here. The songs were way better than those in HSM2 (unless you hate this kind of song by natural). I liked every single one of them, but 'Can I Have This Dance', 'A Night to Remember' and 'Boys Are Back' are the ones I was impressed the most.
Oh, fortunately, the 'Troy's I'm confused' sequence ('Scream') wasn't as bad as the last time ('Bet On It'). Actually, it was pretty good.
And seriously, harmless isn't necessary boring.

B+

Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:49 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Post Re: High School Musical
JURiNG wrote:
You forgot number 3

Seemingly the exact same movie with the predecessors, only with new songs; couple music numbers of 'Troy+Gabriella' there, one with 'Sharpay's time' here, followed with 'Troy's I'm confused' music sequence later on. Even though, compare sequence by sequence, it has evolved by large margins. Thanks to the better production and the brilliant choreography.
The laziness of the screenplay also appeared in characters' department. All characters are still poorly developed. Yet, all actors seem much more natural in their roles than they ever were (as they should). But I think that is more because they've grown so much on me.
And yes, the cheesiness can still be found here. Fortunately, compare with what I've been through, HSM3 was less cheesy than the first two by far. Largely because it was more focused on musical numbers rather than, say, movie's script. And this time, it seems like they've learned 'how much' is 'too much'.
The production, as mentioned above, expectantly gets better. Some of musical sequences actually look and feel grand. And the musical sequences were all awesomely done, a big improvement from the first two HSM films. At least, this time, they were done with some style and creativity. The director Kenny Ortega and fellow choreographers Charles Klapow and Bonnie Story have achieved an impressive work here. The songs were way better than those in HSM2 (unless you hate this kind of song by natural). I liked every single one of them, but 'Can I Have This Dance', 'A Night to Remember' and 'Boys Are Back' are the ones I was impressed the most.
Oh, fortunately, the 'Troy's I'm confused' sequence ('Scream') wasn't as bad as the last time ('Bet On It'). Actually, it was pretty good.
And seriously, harmless isn't necessary boring.

B+

I'm eagerly awaiting Mr. Pink's review of this.. Any wagers as to whether he gives the grade of this any higher than a "D"?? :-k

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:48 am
Profile WWW
Don't Dream It, Be It

Post Re: High School Musical 3
I know Mr Pink will give it a grade above a "D'.

“Gods are great ... but the heart is greater. For it is from our hearts they come, and to our hearts they shall return.”
“We were like gods at the dawning of the world, & our joy was so bright we could see nothing else but the other.”
“There are three things all wise men fear: the sea in storm, a night with no moon, and the anger of a gentle man.”
“You have to pretend you get an endgame. You have to carry on like you will; otherwise, you can't carry on at all.”
"Paper is dead without words / Ink idle without a poem / All the world dead without stories."

Fri Oct 24, 2008 8:44 pm
Profile WWW
Team Kris

Let's give credits where they're due:

- Choreography is effin' sick. "Boys are Back" (junkyard scene) is a standout. Wonderful job by the always reliable Kenny Ortega and his collaborators.
- Zac Efron and Ashley Tisdale made the film.
- Set pieces are as functional as ever.

However, for such a straightforward, light story, the screenplay (and dialogue) plus editing are even lazier and more incoherent than ever. It tried to be Chicago - some musical scenes are meant to be 'fantasies', some scenes are meant to be the 'musical Senior Year,' in the end, it just didn't mesh well (I was actually confused at one point if the Senior Prom was even happening...). New supporting characters are just thrown in and make unnecessary conflict and some characters (Taylor and Chad most especially) suffered from "What do we do with these characters?" Even the whole Gabriella/Troy relationship/college dilemma was forced. But the kids ate it up and it was enjoyable to them. In my case, I was mostly perplexed. Don't get me started how Troy drove from Albuquerque to Stanford with that beat-up truck... alone and still come back alive.

Also... you're a feature-length movie now. Make the most of the latest SOUND RECORDING techniques. Seriously, Disney... the lipsyncing and the recording needed work. It really sounds as if they were mouthing lyrics coming from a two-speaker boom box.

I also got annoyed with some teenagers behind me screaming. Like really... screaming. Whenever Zac Efron thrusted, they screamed. Whenever Zac Efron picked his nose, they screamed. When Zac Efron showed his back (sorry Corpse, that was the only scene... and he wasn't even looking at the camera), they had an orgasm. When Zac Efron kissed boring Vanessa Hudgens, they screamed "OMG I WANNA KILL THAT HO!" And those were only coming from the screaming boys. The girls...

I mean, it's cute if you're 6 or 7 years old, but if you are in your late teens...
I think I came out of the theatre deaf.

Overall, fairly serviceable, family flick that delivers where it's apt (music, kiddie sensibility, I HAVE A CHOICE! message) but ultimately needed more work. Just bring broken beer bottles to bash rowdy teenagers' heads and balls.

Story/Acting/Screenplay - C
Music - B+
Choreography - A-

(I kind of want to see at least one song nominated for an Oscar, just to see how they can capitalize on it's ratings pull)

Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:20 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Christian wrote:

I also got annoyed with some teenagers behind me screaming. Like really... screaming. Whenever Zac Efron thrusted, they screamed. Whenever Zac Efron picked his nose, they screamed. When Zac Efron showed his back (sorry Corpse, that was the only scene... and he wasn't even looking at the camera), they had an orgasm. When Zac Efron kissed boring Vanessa Hudgens, they screamed "OMG I WANNA KILL THAT HO!" And those were only coming from the screaming boys. The girls...

I mean, it's cute if you're 6 or 7 years old, but if you are in your late teens...
I think I came out of the theatre deaf.

The SAME thing happened at my screening. I couldn't believe how excessive it was. It started when Efron appeared in the 17 Again trailer before the movie and just kept going and going.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:46 am
Profile YIM
ef star star kay

What do you think of the film? :D

Sat Oct 25, 2008 12:45 pm
Team Kris

Yeah it was insanity. They didn't scream when he was on Hairspray. I wonder if they screamed also when the TV movies were on? lmao

Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:07 pm
Veteran

Best of the series imo. Very incoherent and little to no plot, but fuck that I didn't care, it was so much fun. Vanessa Hudgens was crappy as always but the rest of the cast was up to par. The music was fantastic and some of the sets (i.e I Want It All) were outstanding. Choreography was crazy and it was just a good old farewell. Well done. B+

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:13 pm
Team Kris

Mr. Inc wrote:
Vanessa Hudgens was crappy as always but the rest of the cast was up to par.

Indeed!

I smell another nudie picture leak so she'll remain "relevant." ;)

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:16 pm
Veteran

Christian wrote:
Mr. Inc wrote:

Indeed!

I don't know if its her or her character but I can't stand Gabriella. Fuck, Troy could get so much action if he just ditched that annoying twat. Again though besides that, fun fun movie. Best part was when Troy 2.0 tried to hit on Sharpay.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:20 pm
Team Kris

Mr. Inc wrote:
Christian wrote:
Mr. Inc wrote:

Indeed!

I don't know if its her or her character but I can't stand Gabriella. Fuck, Troy could get so much action if he just ditched that annoying twat. Again though besides that, fun fun movie. Best part was when Troy 2.0 tried to hit on Sharpay.

That was hilarious I admit.

I would say both Hudgens and Gabriella bug me. Hudgens because well, she's a mini-hack. And Gabriella, wow, she just went for a two-week freshman early orientation and decides to not return to Albuquerque for the prom and graduation? Huh? You're not in college yet, cockblock.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:26 pm
Extraordinary

I'm not a fan of the other two movies, so it was a pleasant surprise that I thought this one was fun and entertaining.

Some of the music numbers fall flat (I think the only one I really liked was I Want It All, hah) but it's a fitting conclusion(?) to the series.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:54 pm
ef star star kay

I liked 'A Night to Remember' the most..

the weakest musical number would be 'Just Wanna be with You' and 'Walk Away'

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:04 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

I saw the first two over the summer and respected the aw-shucks, lets-put-on-a-show-like-Mickey-and-Judy spirit, although neither one was particularly memorable. In fact, the second one was pretty close to awful.

But I really enjoyed this. No joke. They've lost a lot of what dragged the first two down, namely all the crudely manufactured plot contrivances (although the Stanford one in here is a doozy), and replaced it with music, music, music. There didn't seem to be much talk. This seemed to have way more numbers than its predecessors and Kenny Ortega shoots the heck out of them. Seriously; there's tons of invention to the choreography and the sequences are terrifically shot and edited.

It's silly but innoffensive, and I must say, in terms of on-screen dancing HSM3 has the most exciting, smooth work I've seen in many years. Puts all recent Hollywood musical exploits to shame.

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:26 pm
Extraordinary

You're all dead to me.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:51 pm
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

It's not really that hyperbolic. When was the last time you saw a Hollywood musical with any 'wow' dance numbers?

Hairspray, for one example, had miserably edited dance sequences (I'll never get over Shankman's constant cutting away from You Can't Stop The Beat-the most rousing number- to show us Brittany Snow fucking around in the rafters). And other than that and one or two others Hollywood has mostly stayed away from dancing for years. Chicago has some good stuff, but it also kept getting in its own way. It had the rythms of Fosse, but not the purposeful editing. Guess that's what happens when you hire non-dancers. "Urban" films like Stomp the Yard or You Got Served have been the last outpost for inventive dancing on screen. And those generally don't have big studio pedigrees.

I've not been much for Mr. Ortega (Newsies is kinda fun, I guess, but mostly just plain goofy), but there's strong imagination at work in here. Well, not in the script.

Not just imagination, but he seems to understand how to show the stuff on screen. He pulls the camera back...we can see the dancers from head to toe! OMFG!

Sat Oct 25, 2008 9:02 pm
Veteran

For me The Boys Are Back has some amazing coreography. And the final number, High School Musical. There were moments were I was really put back. Kenny Ortega really went all out with this one.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:54 am
Team Kris

yay yoshue!

Sun Oct 26, 2008 3:48 am
ef star star kay

yoshue wrote:
I saw the first two over the summer and respected the aw-shucks, lets-put-on-a-show-like-Mickey-and-Judy spirit, although neither one was particularly memorable. In fact, the second one was pretty close to awful.

But I really enjoyed this. No joke. They've lost a lot of what dragged the first two down, namely all the crudely manufactured plot contrivances (although the Stanford one in here is a doozy), and replaced it with music, music, music. There didn't seem to be much talk. This seemed to have way more numbers than its predecessors and Kenny Ortega shoots the heck out of them. Seriously; there's tons of invention to the choreography and the sequences are terrifically shot and edited.

It's silly but innoffensive, and I must say, in terms of on-screen dancing HSM3 has the most exciting, smooth work I've seen in many years. Puts all recent Hollywood musical exploits to shame.

:noway:

:wub2:

Sun Oct 26, 2008 7:35 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Dark Knight wrote:
yoshue wrote:
I must say, in terms of on-screen dancing HSM3 has the most exciting, smooth work I've seen in many years. Puts all recent Hollywood musical exploits to shame.

Oh Jesus Christ. :noway:

:hahaha:

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:01 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

The Dark Knight wrote:
yoshue wrote:
I must say, in terms of on-screen dancing HSM3 has the most exciting, smooth work I've seen in many years. Puts all recent Hollywood musical exploits to shame.

Oh Jesus Christ. :noway:

To clarify, again, I am only referring to the dancing with that last statement. I am not in any way suggesting this is better than, say, Sweeney Todd.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:31 am
Kypade

But it probably is. Most movies are.

Sun Oct 26, 2008 10:40 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I found it very, very entertaining and better than the previous two installments by a great deal. I'll post more thoughts later, but it's a blast and the best musical film of the year (miles better than Mamma Mia!) B+

Sun Oct 26, 2008 6:29 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

kypade wrote:
But it probably is. Most movies are.

Heh.

Seriously, I don't hate Sweeney Todd, but it is the worst of the many usicals released this decade. At least out of those I have seen (The Producers, Moulin Rouge, Mamma Mia; Chicago, Hairpsray...)

Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:45 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next