Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:18 am

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Max Payne 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 8%  8%  [ 1 ]
C 54%  54%  [ 7 ]
D 23%  23%  [ 3 ]
F 15%  15%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 13

Max Payne 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Max Payne
Max Payne

Quote:
Max Payne is a 2008 noir action film based on the 2001 video game of the same name by Remedy Entertainment. It was written by Beau Thorne and was directed by John Moore. The film stars Mark Wahlberg in the title role as Max Payne, Mila Kunis as Mona Sax, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges as Jim Bravura and Beau Bridges as BB Hensley. The film revolves around revenge, centering on a policeman's journey through New York City's criminal underworld, as he investigates the deaths of his wife and child.

Filming took place between March and May 2008. Extensive visual effects were used in many scenes throughout the film. Max Payne was released on October 16, 2008 in Australia, one day prior to the United States release date. Reviews were mostly negative, and some critics cited the film's numerous differences from the video game on which it is based. Despite the negative reviews, the film was able to take the top spot in the box office in its opening weekend and gross more than $110 million worldwide (including DVD sales). Max Payne was released for home video on January 20, 2009.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:54 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Max Payne
Call me old, call me out of touch, call me what you will. This film was crap plain and simple. The whole movie was nothing more than Marky Mark walking around in a black leather jacket looking like Marky Mark walking around in a black leather jacket. There was no action, no violence, no blood, no language, no plot, no point. There is nothing in this film that remotely resembled the game its based upon. Hell, had they simply video taped two guys playing the game and released that instead of this steaming pile of bull it would've been a more enjoyable experience. How Wahlberg can sell this with a straight face is beyond me, he isn't that good of an actor.

Grade F

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:57 pm
problem?

I have a friend that's a huge fan of the Max Payne games, and he called this the worst video game movie ever. Even Mortal Kombat 2 is better, he said.

Fri Oct 17, 2008 8:49 pm
College Boy Z

Well, it wasn't that bad (absolutely not the worst of the video game genre, which has produced things like Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and a few Uwe Boll films; let's be serious for a second...), but a bit of a disappointment, no doubt.

It had all kinds of style. Beautiful cinematography. It's not something groundbreaking, but I was really impressed with how the film was made. But in terms of action, it's just not that exciting. All the good scenes are given in the trailer. The use of slow-motion in this film really, really sucked, too. Like, I know it's kind of old at this point, but because it's Max Payne, I think it was necessary. However, it was just used in the worst times possible for some reason.

There was potential for something much better (Mark Wahlberg with a shotgun being a complete bad ass for two hours, how hard is that?), but still kinda decent.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:36 am
The Greatest Avenger EVER

The Mr Pink wrote:
Call me old, call me out of touch, call me what you will. This film was crap plain and simple. The whole movie was nothing more than Marky Mark walking around in a black leather jacket looking like Marky Mark walking around in a black leather jacket. There was no action, no violence, no blood, no language, no plot, no point. There is nothing in this film that remotely resembled the game its based upon. Hell, had they simply video taped two guys playing the game and released that instead of this steaming pile of bull it would've been a more enjoyable experience. How Wahlberg can sell this with a straight face is beyond me, he isn't that good of an actor.

Grade F

An "F" for this and a "D-" for "W".. Your on a roll... :whistle:

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:07 am
Profile WWW
ha ha, charade you are

Korrgan wrote:
I have a friend that's a huge fan of the Max Payne games, and he called this the worst video game movie ever. Even Mortal Kombat 2 is better, he said.

Crappy, I was kind of leaning towards seeing this (being a big fan of the games as well). But with this and the negative buzz it's receiving I'll have to wait until the DVD release...

Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:49 am
Forum General

The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade F

>>>> Hell, had they simply video taped two guys playing the game and released that instead...

That is a great line.....

Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:57 pm
problem?

Zingaling wrote:
Well, it wasn't that bad (absolutely not the worst of the video game genre, which has produced things like Mortal Kombat: Annihilation and a few Uwe Boll films; let's be serious for a second...), but a bit of a disappointment, no doubt.

My friend was excluding all Uwe Boll movies when he made this statement.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:56 pm
Romosexual!

this movie sucked. :grrr: yet again the trailer fooled me.

C-

Last edited by Rev on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm
College Boy Z

Korrgan wrote:
Zingaling wrote:

My friend was excluding all Uwe Boll movies when he made this statement.

It's still not that high in this classic list of video game adaptations, so his statement is legit. But MK:A is hilariously awful. :P

Resident Evil is still the best video game film yet. I don't care what anyone says.

Mortal Kombat, Street Fighter (on pure entertainment value) and Tomb Raider are all great/good.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:09 pm
Team Kris

A complete dud. Slow-moving with horrible acting. It had a couple of nice visuals, but that's it.

C-

Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:43 pm
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

Not horrible. I was mildly entertained. I kept thinking of Andy Samberg off and on which kept me amused. The thing though is that there are no surprises. You know who the bad guy is as soon as he's introduced and you know the entire setup. Now I know for fans of the series it probably came as no surprise, but for those of us who are new to the series, it's kind of pathetic how obvious they made it. And how the hell did the movie as is get away with a PG-13 rating? Now I know FOX probably cut the shit out of this thing to trim it down, but as is it's kind of graphic. And I wouldn't even consider myself a prude when it comes to violence. It's funny though that they seemed to cut the scene down with the new Bond girl when she gets naked, but any orgy of violence in the last third is fine enough for the MPAA to get a PG-13. You can't show a tit though. That'd be awful. Shame on FOX though for not releasing this as an R. It still probably would've made it to #1. I enjoyed the last third somewhat though. Go figure.

It's not bad, it's interesting in some places, but ultimately it doesn't amount to very much. I've pretty much forgotten the film already. It'd make for a decent rental though.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:38 pm
Profile WWW
Grill

Bad

Just bad

2.5/10

Last edited by MovieGeek on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Oct 19, 2008 8:42 pm
Teenage Dream

Boring and derivative.

I don't understand this logic; put Sin City, The Matrix, and Constantine in a blender, but then make sure you remove everything that made those movies watchable (specifically, blood and boobs).

Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:47 pm
Killing With Kindness

BJs Grade:

F

so very bad.

Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:59 pm
Profile WWW
Another You

Apart from the very good cinematography and visuaLs which saved it for me, it was dissapointing as an action fiLm. ReaLLy? A one-minute shootout vs the SWAT as your highLight action scene? And Marky Mark shouLd have been the bad-ass that he was in his previous fiLms.

C+

Fri Oct 24, 2008 7:01 am
The Wall

5/10 - C-

It's not a disaster as people make it out to be and it's almost twice as better as Marky Mark's other movie this year.

The best thing the movie has are it's looks. Some scenes are really great. And the effects were good too.

The plot was predictable and there was never a moment of suspense, but I was never bored which is surprising.

Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:01 pm
Profile WWW
ef star star kay

The only thing they got it right (well, feels right for me) is the tone. Everything else was one big mess. I've seen worse, though.

C-

Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:18 pm
loyalfromlondon

Horribly generic and predictable. It literally brings nothing new to the table. And it's totally bland from start to finish because of it.

Nice to see Chris O'Donnell getting some work, though. I thought that guy was dead.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:24 am
A very honest-hearted fellow

Olga, why was she killed? Structurally it was to bring in Mila Kunis, but then why was Mila brought in? Both were an utter waste, especially Mila, who I like.

Donal Logue...why the hell were you in this? You had two minutes of screen time and were a bigger waste than Olga and Mila. Ludicrous had the worst coughing scene, when the building blew-up, that I have ever witnessed.

What happened to Max's new partner?

D.

Last edited by Caius on Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 06, 2009 11:20 pm
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

I didn't hate it? I bought it on a whim (not really a whim... I liked the trailer) for $5 at Walmart, only to read reviews before watching it and ultimately deciding I was $5 lighter with nothing to show for it. So I ended up liking it. No, it's not a great movie, or even a good movie, but I didn't hate it. And sometimes, that's enough for me.

Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:09 pm
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]