Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Ne le dis à personne [Tell No One] 

What grade would you give this film?
A 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Ne le dis à personne [Tell No One] 

Post Ne le dis à personne [Tell No One]
Tell No One

Quote:
Tell No One (French: Ne le dis à personne) is a 2006 French thriller film directed by Guillaume Canet and based on the novel of the same name by Harlan Coben. It was written by Guillame Canet and Philippe Lefèbvre and stars François Cluzet. Miramax and Focus have bought the rights for an English language remake, which will be produced by Kathleen Kennedy and has a tentative date of 2010 for the beginning of principal photography. It won four categories at the 2007 César Awards in France: Best Director (Guillaume Canet), Best Actor (François Cluzet), Best Editing and Best Music Written for a Film.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:48 am
Profile WWW
The Wall

Post Re: Ne le dis à personne [Tell No One]
9/10 -> A-

Saw this at the beginning of the year. Awesome thriller/mystery.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:53 am
Profile WWW
The Lubitsch Touch

If this French piece of crap had been in English, nobody would have given it a second thought. Between the hackneyed, bad-Hollywood plotting (our hero keeps getting out of scrapes due to the kind help of some jovial gangbangers he'd assisted in the first act) and head-scratching use of music (I dare you not to laugh during the "With or Without You" sequence), you're bound to be damn confused at the movie's very very kind reception here in the states.

On the bright side, the third act stops being merely silly and becomes something far more special. I'm not sure how to quite describe the depths of goofy to which this thing sinks as we approach the finale; I left the theatre on quite a high. Plot threads and resolutions start showing up completely out-of-the-fucking-blue; the experience was like watching Wild Things played straight. As a result, the last 25 mnutes were a grand old knee-slapping time at the movies.

To recap: yeah, bad movie, but everyone seems too distracted by subtitles and flamboyant camera work to notice.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:11 pm
Lover of Bacon

Copied pretty much from the Foreign and Independent Film thread.....

While this wasn't amazingly bad, as the plot unravelled the whole thing kind of came apart with it.

The chase scene was a highlight, but what was with the strangely calm music during the whole thing? it was more than a little disconcerting and ruined any idea of tension the film was trying to build. By the end it felt like it was trying far too hard to have a twisty ending. It did pass a couple of hours quite nicely, but i don't think i'd recommend it to anyone.

I suspect its appeal lies in its 'foreign language' status and not in its quality.

I'd give it a C+

Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:13 pm
ef star star kay

For me, that's actually what made this film so unique from Hollywood production; the odd but brilliant use of music and images in & between the scenes.
But yeah, the plot is nothing special but not bad either.

So, overall A-

Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:38 pm
Wallflower

When the hell will this get released on DVD?

Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:47 am
Wallflower

yoshue wrote:
I dare you not to laugh during the "With or Without You" sequence

I loved that part :P.

TELL NO ONE - 8/10 (B+)

Loved it! An intriguing, classy thriller. I loved the music. I adore Kristen Scott Thomas. :wub: She's so beautiful and talented. In a way I would love to see her reprise her role in the eventual American remake. But on the other hand I would rather see her continue working on original projects instead of playing the same role in an English-language remake.

Anyway, highly recommended! One of last year's best thrillers. The ending was beautiful.

Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:37 pm
The Wall

Rewatched it. I'd grade it ***1/2 / ***** (B-) now. It's definitely much slower than I remember it and the story is a bit stretched over, but the mystery was still intriguing.

Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:53 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]