Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Bigger Stronger Faster* 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

Bigger Stronger Faster* 

Post Bigger Stronger Faster*
Bigger Stronger Faster*

Quote:
Bigger, Stronger, Faster* is a 2008 documentary film directed by Christopher Bell about the use of anabolic steroids as performance-enhancing drugs in the United States and how this practice relates to the American Dream.

The film had its world premiere on January 19, 2008 at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival. The film was shown at the Tribeca Film Festival in April 2008, and opened in limited release in the United States on May 30, 2008.

On December 14, 2008, Mike Bell, brother of director Chris Bell, who was prominently featured in the film, died at 37. Christian Boeving who appeared in the film admitting steroid use, was later fired by his sponsor, MuscleTech. Christian was later interviewed on a small cable television show 'The Gregory Mantell Show', where he talked about the repercussions.

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:42 am
Profile WWW
"no rank"

Post Re: Bigger Stronger Faster*
Sad News

Quote:
Michael Bell, who was known as "Mad Dog" Mike Bell in the wrestling world, passed away yesterday from unknown causes. Michael was found dead by his roomates [sic] at 2:30 PM yesterday in a sober living place in Orange County, according to his brother Christopher in a prepared statement sent out to members of the media. Bell, who had a history of drug and alcohol problems, was only 37 years old.

on the left

RIP.

Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:51 pm
ef star star kay

RIP

Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:03 pm
invading your spaces

loyalfromlondon wrote:
I was completely shocked at just how great this documentary was. It's take on performance-enhancing drugs is equal to the Bush administration in Farenheit 9/11 or the culture of fast food in Super Size Me.

One of the most entertaining documentaries of the 2000's.

A+

I agree that it's a great movie. But one of the reasons I liked it so much is while it was definately done in the editorial style, the director himself wasn't as much of a self-serving turd as Moore or Spurlock.

He was really out to find his own truth, and he wasn't out to shoot for a known end-goal (or at least he didn't let on that he did).

Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:45 pm
Profile WWW
Deshi Basara

I actually just saw this last week. I was very impressed by the level of information, objectivity, and entertainment value. I completely agree that it belongs in the same sentence as other similar documentaries such as Super Size Me, Sicko, Fahrenheit 9/11, The Corporation, and The Big One. My vote of B is really more of a B+/A-. This is an important film for the American culture.

I was very sad to hear about the oldest brother, having just seen him in that film. I fear that the movie may have driven him to suicide, since he appeared to be on the edge in the film.

Actually, for anyone who has seen this, I'd like to know about similar documentaries I might have missed, besides the ones I listed (Columbine belongs in that list).

Most Impressive Openings: Honorable Mentions

Wed Dec 17, 2008 3:34 pm
The Wall

9/10 -> A-

A wonderful doc. It's what every good doc should be - impartial in all moral/ethical/political/family dillemas that concern the subject matter. Why is Man On Wire getting all of this year's docu spotlight? Not completely deservingly so.

Bigger Stronger Faster* is a relevant piece. It manages to integrate much more than the theme of using steroids. It's a slice of today's society. Not only American one.

Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]