Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ] 
 Ghost World 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 9

Ghost World 
College Boy Z

Post Ghost World
Ghost World

Quote:
Ghost World is a 2001 film directed by Terry Zwigoff, based on the comic book of the same name and screenplay by Daniel Clowes. The story focuses on the life of two teenage friends, Enid (Thora Birch) and Rebecca (Scarlett Johansson), who are outside of the normal high school social order in an unnamed district of Los Angeles.

Although the film was not a major box-office success, it was praised by critics and has established a strong cult following.

Sat Feb 12, 2005 2:58 pm
Extraordinary

Great little film, sad and funny at the same time. If anyone is in the mood to start a discussion on the possible implications of the ending, feel free to post in this thread and bring the issue up.

A-

I strongly recommend this film, if for no other reason than that it's like nothing you've seen before. Oh, and the two lead actresses are supoid! As is Buscemi! \:D/

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:17 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

Ghost World was a terrific, sharp little film. Thora Birch is great, Scarlett Johansson is somewhat underused, and Steve Buscemi is brilliant. Buscemi was totally robbed of an Oscar nomination here. A-

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:22 am
Extraordinary

I didn't notice how great his performance was until after the film, when it began to sink it. He was so effective that it is still hard for me to think of him as someone other than his character in that film.

MadGez wrote:
Briefs. Am used to them and boxers can get me in trouble it seems. Too much room and maybe the silkiness have created more than one awkward situation.

My Box-Office Blog: http://boxofficetracker.blogspot.com/

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:24 am
Profile WWW
College Boy T

The hills are alive, with the sight of Scaaarlett
The sight that will appeal to the eye for thousands of yeaaaars
The hills fill my heart, with the sight of Scaaarlett

Everyone knows why I liked this film. But, asides from watching her, there's also Buscemi (he's always good at playing the quirky loser) and Birch (quite a turn from her role in American Beauty). And the good direction, but that's secondary to looks, of course...

A

Sun Feb 13, 2005 1:33 am
Veteran

It had some great lines and good performances. Steve Buscemi was very good (almost as good as he was in Fargo), but Thora Birch was great. Whatever happened to her? I grade it a B+.

Mon Feb 14, 2005 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Excellent, this is the movie that needs to be appreciated more than say, Napoleon Dynamite. :roll: Steve Buscemi and Thora Birch are both fantastic in this, too bad we don't see Birch in much projects now.

- A

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:16 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Sat May 07, 2005 8:44 am
Profile YIM
Some days I'm a super bitch

Loved it. This is the kind of movie for someone who feels traped by life, but crazy about it anyway. A very sharp satire that doesn't skimp on character and plot development. Also, great performances by Thora Burch and Steve Buscemi.

A-

Mon May 01, 2006 2:15 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Post Re: Ghost World
I loved this.

Really funny, sad, true, and brilliantly written and acted. Enid is one of the more relateable characters I've seen in a while... I look at the world kind of similar to her. Not sure if it's a good thing or not, but regardless, the people she likes and the people she hates is exactly in line with the people I like and hate. Birch's performance is also just glorious.

And likewise, Buscemi is just fantastic... he's just layered, and he feels incredibly real the whole way.

Johannson does her role. Her screentime and importance drops throughout the movie because that's what's happening in the relationship between Enid and her. As Seymour comes in, she becomes less interesting and the two seperate.

I loved the ending of this movie too. I'm not sure what was real and what it all meant, but I loved it.

4.5/5

Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:57 pm
llegó a la casa vía marítima

Great film, one of the best dealing with teenage angst that I've seen. Birch is a real standout, but everyone else is also great. It's also consistently hilarious.

A

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 am
Wallflower

The best film of 2001. So painfully witty and sad. Brilliantly written and acted. I found it incredibly relateable. If I had to compile a list of movie characters I most relate to, Enid would be one of them. Even if I could only pick 3 she'd make the cut. Just an all-around fantastic film. It deserved more recognition at the Academy Awards (it was, afterall, one of the best reviewed films of the year). I know there were a lot of people that loved it, but it still feels like a forgotten gem. A lot of people I know have never seen/heard of it. I guess it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it deserves to be seen.

One of my all-time favorites.

A+

Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:18 am
Z

Location: Wherever he went, including here, it was against his better judgment.
Mike wrote:
The best film of 2001.

Mulholland Dr.

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:35 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Mike wrote:
The best film of 2001.

Moulin Rouge!

As to Ghost World it was merely okay. It was hugely overrated upon it's release, and is nothing compared to his two true masterpieces: Crumb and Bad Santa.

3 out of 5.

(It's been four long years since Terry Zwigoff's last movie, and from what I can tell he doesn't seem to have any current plans to make another. Too bad, because he seems to have a Star Trek-style alternating great-mediocre film rhythm going - - Crumb, Ghost World, Bad Santa, Art School Confidential[/i] - - so his next film is on track to be a winner!)

Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:58 am
Wallflower

Argos wrote:
Mike wrote:
The best film of 2001.

Mulholland Dr.

Really enjoyed that, but this was much better ;). It was a really solid year for movies though.

Bad Santa doesn't even deserve to be the crap that Ghost World shits out :P. That movie is alright, but so ugly and overrated. What a disappointment after this masterpiece.

Thu Oct 21, 2010 4:06 pm
Dont Mess with the Gez

Argos wrote:
Mike wrote:
The best film of 2001.

Mulholland Dr.

Yes.

But Ghost World is up there too.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:27 am
Indiana Jones IV

"Medium? Why, don't you know sir, medium is only for suckers like you who don't know the concept of value." Or something like that. Anyway I love it. The ending haunts me every time I see it. Apparently it's simmilar in tone to a Japanese filmmaker's movies. Ozu?

Fri Nov 05, 2010 2:18 am
Profile WWW
Wallflower

I wish they'd release this on Blu-ray.

Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:11 am
Indiana Jones IV

I think Criterion might be releasing it next year.

Tue Nov 09, 2010 5:10 pm
Profile WWW
Wallflower

That would be amazing.

Wed Nov 10, 2010 2:08 am
---------

Hmm, was a bit disappointed in this after reading all the great reviews on here. I could not bring myself around to liking Enid, who had many people wanting to care for her yet pushed them away. I understand she wanted to be different, but I feel like she never matured after the movie's events. The Enid/Buscemi relationship was a bit creepy, much like the Jason Batemen/Juno relationship. I guess I must have missed something about this movie, but I'd give it like a C+ or so. :(

Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 21 posts ]