Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Bottle Shock 

What grade would you give this film?
A 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 50%  50%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

Bottle Shock 

Post Bottle Shock
Bottle Shock

Quote:
Bottle Shock is a 2008 American comedy-drama film based on the 1976 wine competition termed the "Judgment of Paris", when California wine defeated French wine in a blind taste test. It stars Alan Rickman, Chris Pine, and Bill Pullman and is directed by Randall Miller, who wrote the screenplay along with Jody Savin and Ross Schwartz. It premiered at the 2008 Sundance Film Festival.

Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:32 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Bottle Shock
How was Captain Kirk?

Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:43 pm
Extraordinary

Post Re: Bottle Shock
Quote:
"Wine is sunshine held together by water."

- Galileo Gallilei

...and while this movie may be somewhat closer to a good idea held together by scotch tape, it nonetheless has an insouciantly rich body to it's storytelling core...

It's no miracle of brilliant creativity, it's a true story afterall - - but damn it! I was enthralled with this big lug of a tale from start to finish. It was surely and nicely told.

I also loved the 1970's vibe established by the art direction and story elements - - it was pretty dang authentic. Heh. A pigheaded father who wants to fight his son - - as if... ;)

BS establishes it's setting and narrative so well, that I've decided to vacation there in my imagination from now on!

18 out of 5.

{I agree with loyal insofar as the fact that Chris Pine seems kinda hollow behind the eyes, but imho that didn't stop him from doing an effective job in the pivotal role of Bo. He's not an over-actor like the original Captain Kirk, Bill Shatner, nor is he an under-actor like, say, Tilda Swinton - - nope, he's just a regular old run-o-the-mill actor dude doing his job, and doing it well. Then again, compared to reliable stalwart Alan Rickman (who ironically played the "Spock" role in Galaxy Quest), he does seem kinda green. }

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:59 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]