Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:04 am

Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ] 
 Die Hard 2 

What grade would you give this film?
A 22%  22%  [ 4 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 9 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
D 11%  11%  [ 2 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 18

Die Hard 2 
College Boy Z

Post Die Hard 2
Die Hard 2

Quote:
Die Hard 2 (sometimes colloquially referred to as Die Hard 2: Die Harder) is a 1990 action film and the second in the Die Hard film series. The film was directed by Renny Harlin, and stars Bruce Willis as John McClane. The film co-stars Bonnie Bedelia (reprising her role as Holly McClane), William Sadler, Art Evans, William Atherton reprising his role as Richard (Dick) Thornburg, Franco Nero, Dennis Franz, Fred Thompson, John Amos, and Reginald VelJohnson, who makes a cameo appearance reprising his role as Sgt. Al Powell from the first film.

The screenplay was written by Steven E. de Souza and Doug Richardson, adapted from the novel 58 Minutes by Walter Wager. The novel has the same premise but differs slightly: A cop must stop terrorists who take an airport hostage while his wife's plane circles overhead. He has 58 minutes to do so before the plane crashes. Roderick Thorp, who wrote the novel Nothing Lasts Forever, upon which the first Die Hard film was based, receives credit for creating "certain original characters", although his name is misspelled onscreen as "Roderick Thorpe."

As with the first film, the action in Die Hard 2 takes place on Christmas Eve. McClane is waiting for his wife to land at Washington Dulles International Airport when terrorists take over the air traffic control system. He must stop the terrorists before his wife's plane and several other incoming flights that are circling the airport run out of fuel and crash. During the night, McClane must also contend with airport police, maintenance workers, and a military commander who does not want his assistance.

The film was followed by Die Hard with a Vengeance in 1995 and Live Free or Die Hard in 2007.

Fri Feb 11, 2005 6:59 pm
We had our time together

Weakest Die Hard movie. Still very entertaining with some great action. A-/B+

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:07 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Very good action. The worst one of the trilogy, but still a brilliant film. Renny Harlin is a good director.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Feb 12, 2005 12:13 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

I am in agreeement with the previous posters in this thread. Die Hard 2 is the worst of the Die Hard films. Which still doesn't mean it's bad. It's very entertaining, Bruce is as good as always. Unfortunately the showdown was a bit lame...

Sun Feb 13, 2005 12:23 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

Just watched it again tonight after quite a while, and yeah, it's the weakest of the series, but it's still damn entertaining and a great, great action flick. A-

Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:27 am
On autopilot for the summer

It was more of a rehash of the first in a new setting, with crazy Harlin as the director, but its still a fun film to watch, and still shows why Die Hard is one of the best action series. Its a letdown of the other two for sure, but still has a decent twist and good action. B+

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:53 pm
All Star Poster

I havent seen the other two, but I thought this was an awsome film, very entertaining, and it had some sweet action

A-

Thu Oct 05, 2006 3:54 am
Jordan Mugen-Honda

Being Harlin helmed this was always going to be the black sheep of the Die Hard family but it still measures up well. Willis is in the form of his life and for me the plane exploding climax is very satisfying.

A

Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:42 am
loyalfromlondon

A huge dip down in quality from the first one. It's so obviously trying to repeat the success of it, so much so that it mimics practically everything about it. Problem is, it's all terribly done and feels incredibly forced. Willis' one-liners are groan-worthy here, and unfortunately scripted - the ad-libbing was what made the first one great. The acting is pretty bad across the board, as none of the cast seemed to be taking the movie seriously; the story is pretty terrible, which would account for that. The action scenes are thrilling, but so over-the-top ridiculous (like the ejector seat bit) that it renders them silly. There's a line between unrealistic and ridiculous, and this film doesn't even bother to look back. It's truly painful to watch at times.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:28 pm
Stanley Cup

solid movie but nothing amazing. Weakest of the series.

B

Wed Mar 28, 2007 8:09 pm
Veteran

Entertaining but just a money follow up, not worth anything or memorable, and the plot was weak, very weak. The first movie is one of my all time favs, so.. I still have to see the 3rd.

Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:02 pm
Where will you be?

A fundamentally flawed scheme from the terrorists, McClane becoming the untouchable action hero he was spoofing in the first film, the stupid subplot and too many side characters... Yup, it's just like you'd expect from a sequel. Rubbish, especially compared to the first film.

Tue Jun 26, 2007 2:19 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

Quite entertaining, but easily the worst of the four. This one feels a lot more like a cash-in than any of the other installments, and things just don't work as well this time around. The script is mediocre, the comedy/one-liners feel forced, and the performances aren't even anything special. A big step down in quality from the first film, although in terms of action it definitely scores.

B

Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:48 am
Profile YIM
Devil's Advocate

I always laugh at the subtitle of this film. Is "Die Harder" really the best they could come up with? It sounds like something from an 8 year old's vocabulary.

Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:59 am
The Lubitsch Touch

Post Re: Die Hard 2: Die Harder
It's not as well-scripted or well-directed as the brilliant first.

Yet, I often think I like this one best. Glorious fun.

As for "Die Harder," it is the perfect subtitle. That's the level of in-on-the-joke absurdity we're dealing with here.

Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:39 am
Forum General

Post Re: Die Hard 2
I was sure I reviewed this last year but anyway what it should have read then: Pretty good action flick, very entertaining B+

Just rewatched it and does it NOT hold up. I have finally decided or found that any scene depicting any villain with any weapon that is 100% assured of killing the protagonist/hero and who does not because of a sudden case of stupidity is terrible, terrible writing. Once upon a time the old "It's a popcorn flick/it's meant to be fun/unrealistic/Take a chill pill/Relax/etc." form of an excuse would work but, after seeing this same scenario depicted in Die Hard 1 and 2 multiple times, I must say, fuck off.

It's one thing to delay to kill the person who has continued to meddle in your plans because you may need them later on, or if you have a believable pause, BUT WHY would anyone decide NOT to kill them when they have no purpose or pause like amnesia before carrying out their plan is beyond me. It's shit writing.

Die Hard- Both Karl (whose brother was killed) and Hans do this after all the shit Bruce Willis put them through. The rest of the flick was pretty enjoyable but the ending's just WTF.

Die Hard 2- Goes downhill when Willis is allowed to survive on the conveyor floor and obviously using the machine to bring his gun toward him and the villain, instead of shooting him with his freaking machine gun, decides to try and jump to reach Willis' gun. Other examples are a plane full of Marines being unable to take out Willis without hitting the plane and machine gun fire destroying the entire cockpit but never once grazing Willis who proceeds to escape with an ejector seat when 8 grenades fail to go off, and in yet another example, two Marines shooting straight on at Willis manage to not even destroy the glass on his snowmobile.

In lesser words, the writing is some cockshit.

Men in Black 3 Under 100m
Madagascar 3 Under 100m
Rise of the Guardians over 250m

Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:42 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Well, I have to disagree with my 2005-self because I watched Die Hard 2 last night and it wasn't what I remembered at all. Harlin basically strips it of any of the charisma that the first movie had. The comedy is all but gone with pointlessly, plot-holed villains and not-too-entertaining action. Bruce does a good job, but if I were to recommend any of the Die Hard's it would be the McTiernan ones.

There are good scenes in this, and a few good lines, but overall it just felt like a rushed idea.

B

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:05 am
Profile WWW
now we know

BK wrote:
I was sure I reviewed this last year but anyway what it should have read then: Pretty good action flick, very entertaining B+

Just rewatched it and does it NOT hold up. I have finally decided or found that any scene depicting any villain with any weapon that is 100% assured of killing the protagonist/hero and who does not because of a sudden case of stupidity is terrible, terrible writing. Once upon a time the old "It's a popcorn flick/it's meant to be fun/unrealistic/Take a chill pill/Relax/etc." form of an excuse would work but, after seeing this same scenario depicted in Die Hard 2 multiple times, I must say, fuck off.

It's one thing to delay to kill the person who has continued to meddle in your plans because you may need them later on, or if you have a believable pause, BUT WHY would anyone decide NOT to kill them when they have no purpose or pause like amnesia before carrying out their plan is beyond me. It's shit writing.

Die Hard 2- Goes downhill when Willis is allowed to survive on the conveyor floor and obviously using the machine to bring his gun toward him and the villain, instead of shooting him with his freaking machine gun, decides to try and jump to reach Willis' gun. Other examples are a plane full of Marines being unable to take out Willis without hitting the plane and machine gun fire destroying the entire cockpit but never once grazing Willis who proceeds to escape with an ejector seat when 8 grenades fail to go off, and in yet another example, two Marines shooting straight on at Willis manage to not even destroy the glass on his snowmobile.

In lesser words, the writing is some cockshit.

True.

But I can't agree with that in terms of Die Hard, only Die Hard 2. The enemy not killing the hero when he has a clear shot happens all too often in action movies. I don't mind accepting a certain level of ridiculousness with these scenes, but the escalator one and the cockpit one in Die Hard 2 is laughable. Plus, at the end, on the wing, why not just shoot Willis after they realise he is out there. Why does the General need to go out too? Surely he'd just send some henchman out there instead to remove the jacket and then shoot Willis from the safety of the plane.

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:16 am
Profile WWW
now we know

Oh, and the ending pissed me off with the fat Italian cop all of sudden, after the entire film being a total wanker to McClane, being the nicest guy on the planet. How would he have seen any of what McClane did for one, but secondly, why would he change so drastically. Was it Meissner from Lock Up telling him to shut the fuck up? Seems a bit weak.

And the fat Italian cops brother being that other fat Italian at the beginning....also narked me off.

I sound like I hate this film, but I really don't. I'm just a tad pissed off that it wasn't as great as how I remembered it.

Die Hard A+
Die Hard 2: Die Harder B-
Die Hard with a Vengeance A
Live Free or Die Hard B-
A Good Day to Die Hard B-

FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:08 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re:
Thegun wrote:
It was more of a rehash of the first in a new setting...

This.

Though it was always worth it top me for this one scene (starting @ 2:22)...

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:12 am
KJ's Leading Idiot

It tries to use the formula of the first one but is unsuccessful because it gets too convoluted trying to be clever and the finale ends with a thud. The action is fine, Willis is great here as well but the surrounding and at times repetitive story is the biggest flaw here. A big step-down from the original but that would never be matched.

B

Tue Sep 29, 2020 11:56 pm
Forum General

This sequel is kind of underrated IMO. Yeah its not as good as the first movie or Vengeance, but I still find it to be a pretty damn good 90's action flick with Willis still being a badass and William Saddler being a more than formidable villain, although not as memorable as any of the Gruber brothers. I also love the airport/siege setting and the twist with John Amos and his team did get me back in the day even if you could probably guess it now early on.

B

Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:29 pm
Reply to topic   [ 22 posts ]