Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 6:58 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Brideshead Revisited 

What grade would you give this film?
A 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 3 ]
C 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
D 17%  17%  [ 1 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 6

Brideshead Revisited 
Extraordinary

Post Brideshead Revisited
Brideshead Revisited

Quote:
Brideshead Revisited is a 2008 British drama film directed by Julian Jarrold. The screenplay by Jeremy Brock and Andrew Davies is based on the 1945 novel of the same name by Evelyn Waugh, which previously had been adapted in 1981 as an eleven-episode television serial.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Aug 01, 2008 1:23 pm
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: Brideshead Revisited
Wonderful performances and great production design are on display here, but there's something missing that really prevents it from being great. The first half is pretty exhilarating, and it's fascinating watching the odd friendship between Charles (Matthew Goode) and Sebastian (Ben Whishaw) develop and quickly deteriorate with the introduction of Sebastian's sister Julia (Hayley Atwell). All of the actors have solid chemistry with one another and their relationship struggles are believable and intriguing. But somewhere around the halfway mark it begins to drag, presenting the viewer with many false endings and some rather annoying story elements. It finally leads to an ending that really isn't that satisfying - after all the buildup, it feels rather anticlimactic. As I said before, the performances are definitely not at fault. Best are Goode, Atwell and Emma Thompson, who is fantastic in a supporting role as Sebastian and Julia's overprotective mother. The direction is decent enough, but I thought Jarrod did better with last summer's period piece Becoming Jane, to be honest. This is a good film, but its lengthly running time and rather mediocre second half prevent it from being a great one. B-

Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:56 am
Profile YIM
Extraordinary

While I absolutely loved director Julian Jarrold's previous two films (Kinky Boots and Becoming Jane, I merely respected his new work Brideshead Revisited.

Whether this has to do with the source material, I have no idea, since I neither read the original Waugh novel, nor saw the fabled British miniseries. However, I cannot help but enjoy the rich pudding of family, wealth, religion, and power strained through the cloth of post-WWI England. We are so accustomed to tales such as this, embued with a modern consciousness, to either be more matter of fact and unencumbered with the more obvious guilt, or accompanied by much more garish melodrama. Nope - - this ship set it's prow nobly towards the mother land and never varied course. The acting was solid, but necessarily glacial, and the cinematography and art direction were exquisite; I expected no less.

Worth seeing for those who can dissolve into the classic British historical drama and reform out the other side...

4 out of 5.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 1:04 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

I feel pretty much the same as Thompsoncory does with one major exception. Great first half, great performances, mixed second half, disapointing ending. But for some reason I didn't like Emma Thompson in this. I was thoroughly enjoying this film until she showed up and the film all but ground to a halt for me. Normally im a fan of hers but here I just couldn't stop laughing everytime she was on screen and it really diminished my enjoyment of the movie. I know her character is vital to the foundation as to why the kids act the way they do. But I would've been happy to have her character cut from the film entirely or at least trimmed down to a throw away part. For me she greatly diminished a film that could've been really great.

Grade B-/C+

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:36 am
Wallflower

BRIDESHEAD REVISITED - 7/10 ( B )

A very good movie. Loved the sets. Matthew Goode was very good, and really sexy :P.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:20 am

A damn good movie, nothing spectacular but quite well done. The directing is very successful and the flashback fade out story telling is well done and feeds the movie a lot. The material gets a bit dense at certain parts, and the longer pieces were Emma Thompson and Ben Wishaw are rather dull which illuminated on just how much the film needs the talent of these two actors, other than that it really is a fascinating and entertaining, albeit somewhat flawed movie.
8/10
oh and I definitely think there is value for those who are not fans of the genre

Exactly. If they don't know how to behave, and feel OK offending others, they get their ass kicked, so they'll think next time before opening their rotten mouths.

Wed Feb 04, 2009 2:03 am
You must have big rats

D+

Beautiful sets and costumes. The era visually very well captured. And that's about it. The film is extremely dull. The characters range from unlikable to simply uninteresting. The plot is really not engaging and neither the cast nor the screenplay manage to make me care at all about these characters' fates. Too bad since I think that Matthew Goode, Hayley Atwell and Ben Whishaw are generally promising performers - just not in this film.

It can really only score on the visual level. Other than that I kinda compare it to a similarly dull and empty period piece - House of Mirth. There's not a single emotionally powerful moment in this which is a shame given that the story actually offers enough material for many of these moments.

It is especially disappointing since I enjoyed Julian Jarrod's previous period piece, Becoming Jane.

Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

I love it. A successful adaptation with fantastic performances and beautiful costumes and sets. Hits the right notes from beginning to end.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]