Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:39 pm

Reply to topic  [ 15 posts ] 
 Swing Vote 

What grade would you give this film?
A 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

Swing Vote 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post Swing Vote
Swing Vote

Quote:
Swing Vote is a 2008 comedy-drama film about an entire U.S. presidential election determined by the vote of one man. It was directed by Joshua Michael Stern and starred Kevin Costner, Paula Patton, Kelsey Grammer, Dennis Hopper, Nathan Lane, Stanley Tucci, George Lopez and Madeline Carroll. The film was released on August 1, 2008.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:10 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Swing Vote
Starting from a severly implausible premise and working backwards Swing Vote is a poor mans attempt at aspiring to be Capra film and falling miles short. There is nothing really new presented in the film except a bunch of heavy handed attempts at guilting the audience into becoming more politically involved. Costner mails in his role while Dennis Hopper is probably the miscast of the year in his role as a democratic presidential candidate. The only real bright spot of the film is the young actress that plays Buds daughter Molly (Madeline Carroll). Not a bad film but nothing worth rushing out to see either, maybe worth Netflixing.

Grade C-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:17 am
Orphan

I thought Kelsey Grammar was pretty good but Hopper was kind of weak.

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:25 am
What would Jesus *not* do?

Joe wrote:

Yeah Grammar was decent as a Bush republican parody, Hopper was so out of place I'm surprised no one noticed during filming.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:31 am
He didn't look busy?!

Kevin Costner has done little of value with his career since his peak in 1990, when 'Dances With Wolves,' a film he both directed and starred in, picked up seven Oscars, including Best Director for himself and Best Picture of the year. Since then, he has made a lot of weak choices as an actor, placing himself in both box office duds (such as 'Waterworld') and a lot of movies that just weren't very good and didn't call for any kind of acting (or directing) talent on his part.

In 'Swing Vote,' Costner plays Bud, a very untidy, verbose, and uncaring man who suddenly finds himself in charge of the most important decision of the year. The entire movie functions around how Bud changes from his former self into somebody of value. And through this role - starting out extremely unlikable and transforming into somebody with his heart in the right place - Kevin Costner delivers his best performance in over a decade. So much of the movie succeeds because of his charisma as an actor, playing this drunken feller who completely contrasts basically every other major character in the film, even his daughter.

If you aren't willing to accept the fact that the concept behind 'Swing Vote' is nothing short of impossible, you're bound to dislike it, as that suspension of belief is an absolute must for a movie like this. And 'Swing Vote' isn't about the idea that something like this could happen. It's about everything that happens next.

An all-star cast - led by Costner and also featuring Paula Patton, Nathan Lane, Stanley Tucci, George Lopez, Kelsey Grammar, Dennis Hopper, the young and quite talented Madeline Carroll, and a number of fitting celebrity cameos - is the real core of this movie, as once we get past the far-fetched concept, the movie is all about them and how they are affected by what happens, and how they ultimately are forced to change, sometimes in ways they don't believe in, but sometimes for the better.

The film offers a delicate balance between sharp semi-political satire (the highlights being the commercials the presidential candidates are forced to run: Kelsey Grammar's Republican Andrew Boone says 'I Do!' to Gay Marriage) and touching, almost melodramatic drama (most of which appears in the latter half of the film), and while it could have been stronger on both fronts, the fact that it never makes you cry due to laughs or sad emotion gives it that Capra-esque feel, something that must have been director Joshua Michael Stern's intention.

Kevin Costner in his first great performance in years, a splendid cast backing him up, and a very strong ending make up for whatever feelings one may have over its ridiculous set-up, as well as a few too-fluffy moments. But if you take 'Swing Vote' literally, you're missing the point of the entire film.

B+

Sun Aug 03, 2008 2:55 pm
Profile WWW
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

How's it play as a feel-good movie?

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:57 am
Speed Racer

The Mr Pink wrote:
Joe wrote:

Yeah Grammar was decent as a Bush republican parody, Hopper was so out of place I'm surprised no one noticed during filming.

I don't understand this take. Grammar wasn't doing a Bush imitation/parody. His performance was better than that.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:50 pm
Profile WWW
Pure Phase

To those who've seen this: is it true Hopper is barely in it? I know he's been complaining in the media his performance was largely left on the cutting room floor. He mentioned this in a "Daily Show" interview.

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Sun Aug 10, 2008 4:51 am
Okay, I Believe You But My Tommy Gun Don't

billybobwashere wrote:
Kevin Costner has done little of value with his career since his peak in 1990, when 'Dances With Wolves,' a film he both directed and starred in, picked up seven Oscars, including Best Director for himself and Best Picture of the year. Since then, he has made a lot of weak choices as an actor, placing himself in both box office duds (such as 'Waterworld') and a lot of movies that just weren't very good and didn't call for any kind of acting (or directing) talent on his part.

In 'Swing Vote,' Costner plays Bud, a very untidy, verbose, and uncaring man who suddenly finds himself in charge of the most important decision of the year. The entire movie functions around how Bud changes from his former self into somebody of value. And through this role - starting out extremely unlikable and transforming into somebody with his heart in the right place - Kevin Costner delivers his best performance in over a decade. So much of the movie succeeds because of his charisma as an actor, playing this drunken feller who completely contrasts basically every other major character in the film, even his daughter.

If you aren't willing to accept the fact that the concept behind 'Swing Vote' is nothing short of impossible, you're bound to dislike it, as that suspension of belief is an absolute must for a movie like this. And 'Swing Vote' isn't about the idea that something like this could happen. It's about everything that happens next.

An all-star cast - led by Costner and also featuring Paula Patton, Nathan Lane, Stanley Tucci, George Lopez, Kelsey Grammar, Dennis Hopper, the young and quite talented Madeline Carroll, and a number of fitting celebrity cameos - is the real core of this movie, as once we get past the far-fetched concept, the movie is all about them and how they are affected by what happens, and how they ultimately are forced to change, sometimes in ways they don't believe in, but sometimes for the better.

The film offers a delicate balance between sharp semi-political satire (the highlights being the commercials the presidential candidates are forced to run: Kelsey Grammar's Republican Andrew Boone says 'I Do!' to Gay Marriage) and touching, almost melodramatic drama (most of which appears in the latter half of the film), and while it could have been stronger on both fronts, the fact that it never makes you cry due to laughs or sad emotion gives it that Capra-esque feel, something that must have been director Joshua Michael Stern's intention.

Kevin Costner in his first great performance in years, a splendid cast backing him up, and a very strong ending make up for whatever feelings one may have over its ridiculous set-up, as well as a few too-fluffy moments. But if you take 'Swing Vote' literally, you're missing the point of the entire film.

B+

I am huge Kevin Costner fan so I am going to stand up and defend him, because he doesn't have a lot of support esp. on the interweb.

Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
The Bodyguard
A Perfect World
Open Range

Four movies that were either a commerical success or critically acclaimed. I could go on, but you are correct most of his other movies have been polarizing, to put what you said in a nice way.

I HATE MICHAEL BAY

Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:41 am
Profile WWW
Let's Call It A Bromance

A very fun and original comedy. Sure the chances of the plot happening are near impossible, but it just gives a very fun feeling to it. The father-daughter relationship between Kevin Costner and Madeline Carroll was great. Definetly a film that I will enjoy again and again as the years go by.

A-

Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 pm
Profile WWW
You must have big rats

B

Swing Vote is a decent satire with one of Kevin Costner's better performances in years. As the washed up, carefree Average Joe Costner is the life of this film and he carries it well. However, as good as he may be, Madeline Carrol as his daughter Molly definitely can hold her own in their scenes together. Kelsey Grammar and Dennis Hopper make decent impressions as the opposing presidency candidates, but they just kind of lack the bite and it always appears as if the screenplay is holding them back a bit.

In fact that applies for the whole film which clearly intends to be a very smart satire with reflection of current events and a clear message to tell. Indeed, it does send its message to the audiences and there are a lot of amusing scenes and ideas here for a smart satire. However, the screenplay is just not sharp enough. Fact aside, that the whole plot point of the presidency depending on a single vote, the whole film just never manages to be as memorable or biting or enlightening as it aspires to be. A solid leading performance and a few funny situations make sure that the viewer is entertained throughout, but that won't start any discussion on the film.

Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:03 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

A-

I remember loving this when it came out a few years back. I picked up a used copy for $1.95 yesterday and just watched it again. Kevin Costner, Kelsey Grammer, and Stanley Tucci are all in this movie, but the best performance is from Madeline Carroll, who is simply fantastic. I laughed really hard several times at the satirical parts of this movie. It gets a bit melodramatic at times, but it's well worth it.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:03 am
Profile WWW
Superman: The Movie

I thought I had written something on this?

Capra-esque is the best way to describe the film. It's earnest and idealistic almost to a fault. But if you just go with the movie, the least you should take from it is how simple the political process should be and how fucked up by corruption it has become.

If I’m not here, I’m on Letterboxd.

Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:11 pm
Profile WWW
Dont Mess with the Gez

Wow, I couldnt even recall that this film existed and I posted the thread!! Might be worth watching.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:50 pm
On autopilot for the summer

It's actually a lot better than any trailers or one would think it would be. Costner is in his Tin Cup/ Upside of Anger mode and works very well. As is the majority of the supporting cast. I wouldn't call it great or bad. I think Watchable Fluff is the best way to describe. It has that "Movie you've seen before, its on TBS and you'll watch it cause it's on, go back to what your doing" and then another viewing you catch the 2nd half. And that's a good thing.

Chippy wrote:
As always, fuck Thegun.

Chippy wrote:
I want to live vicariously through you, Thegun!

Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 am
Reply to topic   [ 15 posts ]