Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Pineapple Express 

What grade would you give this film?
A 43%  43%  [ 17 ]
B 40%  40%  [ 16 ]
C 10%  10%  [ 4 ]
D 5%  5%  [ 2 ]
F 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 40

Pineapple Express 

Post Pineapple Express
Pineapple Express

Quote:
Pineapple Express is a 2008 American stoner action comedy directed by David Gordon Green, written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg and starring Rogen and James Franco. Producer Judd Apatow, who previously worked with Rogen and Goldberg on Knocked Up and Superbad, assisted in developing the story, which was partially inspired by the buddy comedy subgenre. The film was released on August 6, 2008. Franco was nominated for a Golden Globe award for his performance in the film.

Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:44 am
Profile WWW

Post Re: Pineapple Express
that's a great review...excited to see it

Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:15 pm
He didn't look busy?!

this movie is gonna kick so much ass. This will hopefully be the film that makes Seth Rogen an upper-tier comedian, and gets the careers of James Franco and Danny McBride going.

Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:45 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Is the M.I.A. song in the actual movie? Or only the trailers?

Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:50 am
Begging Naked

This movie BETTER bring makeshift out of exile. :mad:

Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:48 pm
Profile WWW
College Boy Z

An absolute riot.

I had doubts about this, to be honest. I'm a huge Seth Rogen fan, but James Franco being in this really confused me. He seemed funny in the trailer, but I thought he'd bring the film down. And instead, he made the film completely. Just these subtle comments that he dropped ("dude, you puked on my printer", the finger as the cock thing, etc.) and expressions that he made perfected this film. Seth Rogen took a back seat but still delivered, as usual. Danny McBride is hilarious as well (him constantly surviving, loved it).

I'm all for the Will Ferrell "scream obnoxious things as loud as you can" comedies, but Apatow really has a talent for making truly great comedies (he's more consistent - I don't count Drillbit and stuff, though things like Anchorman are still tops for me).

***1/2

Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:55 am
Orphan

How is Amber Heard in it? She's the only reason I'm interested in seeing it.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 4:57 am
Powered By Hate

Zingaling wrote:
I thought he'd bring the film down.

You haven't seen Freaks & Geeks, have you? The role is perfect for him.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:46 pm
Sbil

Seth Rogen and James Franco have great chemistry, and the film is unquestionably entertaining, but the amount of laughs is low compared to previous Apatow productions. I recommend seeing it, but it fails to rank with Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Knocked Up, and The 40 Year Old Virgin. B-

Wed Aug 06, 2008 7:42 pm
He didn't look busy?!

Magnus wrote:
James Franco career is already going. Golden Globe winner and part of Spider-Man franchise..
when did this happen? :huh:

and I don't think being a part of the Spider-man franchise has done much for his career. I mean, Tobey Maguire has been generally considered the strongest actor out of the lead trio, and he really hasn't been able to take his career anywhere since becoming Spidey. I don't think anyone who only saw Franco in the Spider-man films thought anything of him besides the girls/guys who found him hot.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 10:03 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

hilarious film. Rogen and Franco have amazing chemistry and it is fantastic watching them together. Franco gave his best performance ever after 3 miserable turns in Spider-Man. The laughs started early and didn't let up and the 3rd act was amazing. I couldn't stop laughing. However, I felt the character depth was missing from other Apatow films that held the film back a little. Still a very funny film

A-.

Apatow Rankings:
1. Superbad - A-
2. Forgetting Sarah Marshall - A-
3. Pineapple Express - A-
4. The 40 Year old Virgin - B+
5. Dewey Cox - B+
6. Knocked up - B+

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:33 pm
Romosexual!

:lol: :lol: :lol: out of :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

B-

not as funny as the trailer make it out to be but still a good flick. :thumbsup:

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:35 pm
Veteran

I think I may watch it under the influence.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:44 pm
Kypade

That's the best way.

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:51 pm
why so serious?

The Apatow gang has delivered another hit. While Pineapple Express is not quite as good as last year's Superbad (also written by Seth Rogen and Evan Goldberg), it works as a buddy comedy with solid laughs, shootouts, and of course, the weed for which the movie is named. Rogen is very good as the straight man, but James Franco delivers a career best performance as Rogen's drug dealer. The two make a great duo and spice up the slower segments with humorous reflections on the world around them. Apatow regulars pop up in smaller roles, but Danny McBride is the biggest scene stealer as the middleman between Franco and the kingpin out to kill him (played by Gary Cole). The stoner humor is a little hit-and-miss, but there are some genuinely funny scenes to boot. But in addition to being funny, it works well as a movie on any scale, thanks largely to director David Gordon Green. It's odd to see an arthouse director like Green doing this kind of movie, but he does an excellent job behind the camera. It's a very weird movie (even for an Apatow comedy), but definitely worth seeing. B+

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:12 am
Extraordinary

What a disappointment!

The first two thirds of this film are outstanding comedy, but then the director clearly steps in over his head and shoots the last third as straight action, flushing this turd straight down the toilet. Bllleeeecccchhhhhhh!

If I could choose to see this over again, I'd walk out right after the car chase and return just for the denouement with Red, Saul, and Dale - - now that'd be a movie*.

But as this thing stands, I gotta blame David Gordon Green for the resultant product. Even though I haven't seen any of his previous movies, except for five inconclusive minutes of Snow Angels, I am going to label him "Major Failure"...

3 out of 5.

(*Note: For anyone who is smart enough to take my advice above, and watch the film the way I woulda edited it, my rating is 18 out of 5.)

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:53 am
Romosexual!

i miss the days i used to get high. :(
damn :disgust: random drug testing.

Magnus wrote:
Rev wrote:
not as funny as the trailer make it out to be but still a good flick. :thumbsup:

Yeah, totally agree with that line. The trailers kind of show a lot of the good parts in the film. Granted, the funniest parts in the film weren't in the trailer and the film is still funnier than most comedies these days. It just wasn't amazing like I thought it would be.

yup

hopefully when i see it at home i'll like it alot more.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:58 am
Stanley Cup

Bradley Witherberry wrote:
What a disappointment!

The first two thirds of this film are outstanding comedy, but then the director clearly steps in over his head and shoots the last third as straight action, flushing this turd straight down the toilet. Bllleeeecccchhhhhhh!

If I could choose to see this over again, I'd walk out right after the car chase and return just for the denouement with Red, Saul, and Dale - - now that'd be a movie*.

But as this thing stands, I gotta blame David Gordon Green for the resultant product. Even though I haven't seen any of his previous movies, except for five inconclusive minutes of Snow Angels, I am going to label him "Major Failure"...

3 out of 5.

(*Note: For anyone who is smart enough to take my advice above, and watch the film the way I woulda edited it, my rating is 18 out of 5.)

yet you give that putrid piece of shit film The Love guru 35 out of 5. You disgust me.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:59 am
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:
yet you give that putrid piece of shit film The Love guru 35 out of 5. You disgust me.

Clearly we have different tastes in comedy, one of the most idiosyncratic of the arts. There is no need to feel disgust - - we can both laugh at what we each find funny - - no harm, no foul. If you find this to be a completely brilliant film, there's nothing I can say to take that away from you...

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:07 am
Extraordinary

Jim Halpert wrote:
hilarious film. Rogen and Franco have amazing chemistry and it is fantastic watching them together. Franco gave his best performance ever after 3 miserable turns in Spider-Man. The laughs started early and didn't let up and the 3rd act was amazing. I couldn't stop laughing. However, I felt the character depth was missing from other Apatow films that held the film back a little. Still a very funny film

A-.

Apatow Rankings:
1. Superbad - A-
2. Forgetting Sarah Marshall - A-
3. Pineapple Express - A-
4. The 40 Year old Virgin - B+
5. Dewey Cox - B+
6. Knocked up - B+

I got to thinkin' - - I better QFT Jim's review, just in case he gets up to any funny stuff himself with some last minute / second thought edits. ;)

BTW, I 100% stand by my review of this film, as I do every one of my reviews - - you will notice that I never edit them... :thumbsup:

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:16 am
He didn't look busy?!

Magnus wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
Magnus wrote:
James Franco career is already going. Golden Globe winner and part of Spider-Man franchise..

He won for playing James Dean.
:shock:

oh...was this like a TV movie or something?

Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:14 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Heh. I forgot about the term "bromance" which I see being kicked around this comedy. This is definitely one of the more overt of the bromantic comedies (BROM-COM) - - the guy love is thick and palpable here, much as it was in Superbad. Not that there's anything wrong with that. ;) But, it's surely only goin' be a couple more years before Apatow and Rogen are making flatout gay films...

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:34 am
Let's Call It A Bromance

I knew this movie would be funny but it actually went a little higher than my expectations. Seth Rogen shines once again and Bill Hader is classic in the scene from 1937 at the beginning. Plus some of the mob after the guys have their scenes. The true winner here is James Franco, I didn't know he could be this funny but he was. He had some very classic lines that left me dying laughing during the film.
Spoiler: show
Especially his thumb as a cock scene and when he runs in screaming "Fuck the Police".
Good pick Apatow. Overall, Pineapple Express is just a very mindlessly fun film and it works. This ties Walk Hard as my favorite Apatow film.

A

Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:42 am
Profile WWW
Sbil

billybobwashere wrote:
Magnus wrote:
billybobwashere wrote:
Magnus wrote:

He won for playing James Dean.
:shock:

oh...was this like a TV movie or something?

Yes, it aired on TNT in 2001. He won a Golden Globe and was nominated for an Emmy for it.

Thu Aug 07, 2008 10:59 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

An absolute riot. Both Seth Rogen and especially James Franco are great have wonderful chemistry with one another. Supporting turns from Danny McBride, Craig Robinson and a hysterical Ed Begley Jr. also deserve mention. The direction from David Gordon Green was great and the script was razor-sharp. It's not my favorite Apatow production, but it's definitely one of the best films of the year so far. A-

By comparison:

Knocked Up - A
Forgetting Sarah Marshall - A
The 40-Year-Old Virgin - A
Superbad - A-
Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story - C+

Thu Aug 07, 2008 1:01 pm
Profile YIM
Reply to topic   [ 92 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next