Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:12 am

Reply to topic  [ 19 posts ] 
 Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 21%  21%  [ 3 ]
B 50%  50%  [ 7 ]
C 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 1 ]
F 14%  14%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 14

Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008) 
Extraordinary

Post Journey to the Center of the Earth (2008)
Journey to the Center of the Earth

Quote:
Journey to the Center of the Earth (also promoted as Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D or Journey 3-D) is a 2008 3D adventure film starring Brendan Fraser, Josh Hutcherson, and Anita Briem. It refers to and may be considered a 21st-century sequel to the 19th-century novel of the same name by Jules Verne.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:56 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: Journey to the Center of the Earth 3D
Yawn. :sleeping:

Doesn't get much more pointless than this. They run this way, they run that way. Every 15 minutes a monster/puzzle appears to be easily defeated. There is no character development/conflict/nothing. The 3D effect adds bupkus to the proceedings. Even Brendan Fraser, who usually excels at this sort of foolishness, seemed bored. And the final insult - - Anita Briem wore a bra under her tank-top.

This was a complete waste of my time.

1 out of 5.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:30 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Bradley Witherberry wrote:

Doesn't get much more pointless than this. They run this way, they run that way. Every 15 minutes a monster/puzzle appears to be easily defeated. There is no character development/conflict/nothing. The 3D effect adds bupkus to the proceedings. Even Brendan Fraser, who usually excels at this sort of foolishness, seemed bored. And the final insult - - Anita Briem wore a bra under her tank-top.

1 out of 5.

:funny: :funny: :funny:

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:33 pm
Orphan

Munk·E wrote:

1 out of 5.

:funny: :funny: :funny:

Ditto on that comment. She was still cute.

Sun Jul 13, 2008 6:34 pm
College Boy Z

I agree with bradley.

:sleeping:

But then again, I also didn't see it in 3-D. Might have been slightly more enjoyable, but probably not.

Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:28 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

I saw it in 3-D and I actually had a blast. I went in with low expectations and found myself engrossed, thrilled, amused and excited. It's such a great family film. B+

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 am
Profile YIM
Orphan

thompsoncory wrote:
I saw it in 3-D and I actually had a blast. I went in with low expectations and found myself engrossed, thrilled, amused and excited. It's such a great family film. B+

Yeah, I loved it in 3-D. It was lots of fun. Go Brendan Fraser! :D

Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:10 am
Extraordinary

thompsoncory wrote:

[Bradley scribbles notes in thompsoncory's file...]

Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:03 am
He didn't look busy?!

Can only be seen in 3D. It's a very enjoyable roller coaster for what it's worth, and definitely could have been handled a lot worse than this, even if it wasn't the most entertaining movie ever. Fraser was perfect for the part.

B

Thu Jul 17, 2008 8:01 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

billybobwashere wrote:
Can only be seen in 3D.

I 100% disagree.

That is pure PR bumpf.

The 3D in this was cursory and peripheral - - a big step down from other recent 3D releases.

It's just one more meaningless intermediate stop, designed to sell the tech to hesitant theatre owners, on the road to the triumphant release of James Cameron's Avatar...

:bandana:

Thu Jul 17, 2008 11:57 pm
He didn't look busy?!

billybobwashere wrote:
Can only be seen in 3D.

I 100% disagree.

That is pure PR bumpf.

The 3D in this was cursory and peripheral - - a big step down from other recent 3D releases.

It's just one more meaningless intermediate stop, designed to sell the tech to hesitant theatre owners, on the road to the triumphant release of James Cameron's Avatar...

:bandana:
I haven't seen Beowulf, but it's a hell of a lot better than the other family films to get 3D treatments recently (like Spy Kids and that Shark Boy/Lava Girl movie). In this one, there were many funny/exciting parts that were enhanced by the whole feeling-like-youre-about-to-get-hit moments.

Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:04 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

billybobwashere wrote:
I haven't seen Beowulf, but it's a hell of a lot better than the other family films to get 3D treatments recently (like Spy Kids and that Shark Boy/Lava Girl movie). In this one, there were many funny/exciting parts that were enhanced by the whole feeling-like-youre-about-to-get-hit moments.

I was comparing it to other films using the IMAX 3D (eg: Polar Express, Open Season, and the upcoming Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince) and RealD 3D (eg: Chicken Little, Monster House, Meet The Robinsons, U2 3D, Beowulf, and the upcoming Toy Story 3) technologies, not to the old school red and blue glasses process...

Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 am
Pure Phase

Loved it, loved it, loved it! It simply must be viewed in 3D though. It intensifies the experience a great deal. Tons of great 3D jump-out-of-your-seat and stare-in-awe moments. Put a big smile on my face. And though the acting isn't award-caliber, I thought the trio of stars were very charismatic (non-digital eye candy is provided by the very cute Anita Briem from "The Tudors" :wub2: ). It's a film I am glad I saw -- the sheer energy and fun was uplifting. I loved it more because I know the six-year-old me would have LOVED it -- the sense of adventure and discovery, dinosaurs and sea monsters, caves and volcanos. Good times, made me feel nostalgic and joyful.

Hoping for a sequel (where they, of course, visit Atlantis).

A

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Fri Jul 18, 2008 6:08 pm
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Read Gunslinger's review.

'tis my fifth A of the year -- following Speed Racer, Iron Man, The Visitor, and TDK.

I'll change my name again in honor. There won't be another A for a long ass time.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:16 am
Yes we can call dibs on the mountain guide

Oh, and a small peeve:

Asgeirsson - son of Asgeir - is a man's name. It can't be passed from father to daughter in that form.

Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:36 am
Extraordinary

JOURNEY TO CENTER OF EARTH 3D

I finally ended up watching this movie today and enjoyed it alot. I really like the 3D feature employed with this film and hope that it gets used in more and more films. It does make the experience different and more fun.

I liked all the main actors in their roles and I liked the little adventures they went through while beneath the earth. The only part that was a bit much was the emotional part involving the kid and his father while they were at his makeshift grave. Oh, and the phone call in the middle of nowhere is simply impossible. Overall, I thought the movie was pretty good and I would really like to see a sequel should they continue with the Atlantis concept.

grade - B

** one other note **

I don't know about you guys but when I saw this film we got 3D glasses that were pretty bulky and funky looking and we didn't even get to keep them whereas when I watched Beowulf 3d I got to keep my glasses and the glasses looked more like oversized sunglasses that were much more stylish to wear.

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:02 pm
Orphan

nghtvsn wrote:
I don't know about you guys but when I saw this film we got 3D glasses that were pretty bulky and funky looking and we didn't even get to keep them whereas when I watched Beowulf 3d I got to keep my glasses and the glasses looked more like oversized sunglasses that were much more stylish to wear.

Yeah, I got the same kind. Supposedly, the new ones are of higher quality, which is why we don't get to keep them. That's what I was told when I saw this movie.

Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:01 pm
Let's Call It A Bromance

This film went above my average expectations for it and was a fun ride. The 3D aspect was cool too and I think I'll still like this film even without that aspect. The main three were very enjoyable on screen. Overall a very fun family film.

A-

Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:07 pm
Profile WWW
The Wall

6/10 -> C

It was fun, nothing more. A bit more action wouldn't hurt.

Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:48 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 19 posts ]