Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 The Thin Man 

What grade would you give this film?
A 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
B 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Thin Man 

Post The Thin Man
The Thin Man

Quote:
The Thin Man is a 1934 American comic detective film starring William Powell and Myrna Loy as Nick and Nora Charles, a flirtatious married couple who banter wittily as they solve crimes with ease. Nick is a hard drinking retired detective and Nora a wealthy heiress. Their dog, the Wire-Haired Fox Terrier Asta, played by Skippy, was also a popular character.

Completed in 1934 and nominated for the Academy Award for Best Picture, the film was directed by W.S. Van Dyke from a script by Albert Hackett and Frances Goodrich; the screenplay was based on the mystery novel The Thin Man by Dashiell Hammett, supposedly based on his relationship with playwright Lillian Hellman. Also appearing in the film were Maureen O'Sullivan, Nat Pendleton, Minna Gombell, Cesar Romero and Porter Hall.

The "Thin Man" of the title was actually not Nick Charles, but the man he was initially hired to find, Clyde Wynant. (Partway through the film, Nick Charles characterizes Wynant as a "thin man with white hair".) However, the "Thin Man" moniker was thought by many viewers to refer to Nick Charles, and after a time, it was used in the titles of the sequels as if it did. Nevertheless, at no time in this or any other "Thin Man" film is Nick Charles called or characterized as a thin man.

In 1997, the film was added to the United States National Film Registry having been deemed "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant."

Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:45 pm
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Post Re: The Thin Man
Classic start to a classic series...

(There's some outrageous humor in these puppies!)

Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:01 pm
Squee

Absolutely delightful.

***1/2

:glare:

Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:50 pm
The Lubitsch Touch

The most admirable aspect here is just how unambitious and tossed-off these feel. And they probably were. When every movie didn't have to be a singular EVENT, you could get unassuming works of magic like this one.

The sly rapport between Powell and Loy never gets old, even when the movies aren't so good (See, or better yet, don't see: Double Wedding, Thin Man Sequels 5-6)

The first sequel, After the Thin Man, is almost as good. But then, once the kid comes along, much of the fun dissipates.

Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:13 pm
Extraordinary

I like After the Thin Man better, but this is still rewatchable many times.

Great lines:

Reporter: Say listen, is he working on a case?
Nora Charles: Yes, he is.
Reporter: What case?
Nora Charles: A case of scotch. Pitch in and help him.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Marion: I don't like crooks. And if I did like 'em, I wouldn't like crooks that are stool pigeons. And if I did like crooks that are stool pigeons, I still wouldn't like you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lieutenant John Guild: You got a pistol permit?
Nick Charles: No.
Lieutenant John Guild: Ever heard of the Sullivan Act?
Nora Charles: Oh, that's all right, we're married.

Nora Charles: Waiter, will you serve the nuts? I mean, will you serve the guests the nuts?

Nick Charles: I'm a hero. I was shot twice in the Tribune.
Nora Charles: I read where you were shot 5 times in the tabloids.
Nick Charles: It's not true. He didn't come anywhere near my tabloids.

Nick Charles: Oh, it's all right, Joe. It's all right. It's my dog. And, uh, my wife.
Nora Charles: Well you might have mentioned me first on the billing.

Nora Charles: You know, that sounds like an interesting case. Why don't you take it?
Nick Charles: I haven't the time. I'm much too busy seeing that you don't lose any of the money I married you for.

Nick Charles: Hey, would you mind putting that gun away? My wife doesn't care, but I'm a very timid fellow.

Reporter: Well, can't you tell us anything about the case?
Nick Charles: Yes, it's putting me way behind in my drinking.

Nick Charles: The murderer is right in this room. Sitting at this table. You may serve the fish.

Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:44 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Y'know, I really, really like Song of the Thin Man. Maybe because it was the first one I saw.

Sun Jan 11, 2009 2:31 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

Just watched it again. Such a great and easy going comedy/drama.

Also really like both the actors, William Powell and Myrna Loy, and the characters, Nick and Nora, that they play.

Sat Sep 25, 2010 1:59 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]