Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:14 pm

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 To Die For 

What grade would you give this film?
A 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 2 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 8

To Die For 

Post To Die For
To Die For

Quote:
To Die For is a 1995 dark comedy film, made in a mockumentary format, directed by Gus Van Sant and written by Buck Henry, based on the novel of the same name by Joyce Maynard, which in turn was based on the Pamela Smart story. It stars Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, and Joaquin Phoenix. Major supporting roles feature Illeana Douglas, Wayne Knight, Casey Affleck, Kurtwood Smith, Dan Hedaya, and Alison Folland. Kidman was nominated for a BAFTA and won a Golden Globe Award for her performance.

The film includes cameos by George Segal, David Cronenberg, author Maynard, and screenwriter Henry. It features original music by Danny Elfman.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:32 pm
Profile WWW
Sbil

Post Re: To Die For
A richly satirical, underrated dark comedy. Nicole Kidman was absolutely fabulous in this film, this was probably the first film where she proved (at the time) she was more than just Tom Cruise's wife.

A-

Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:44 pm
Extraordinary

I loved this movie. Granted I saw it in a language that wasn't my primary one, so maybe some of the dialogue was left to my creative 'translation' skillz, but I give it a solid 'A'. This movie made Kidman, and if it hadn't been for her role her, she probably wouldn't be as big a star as she is today.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:03 pm
Speed Racer

Excellent movie. Great performances, great writing and great directing. Nicole Kidman, Joaquin Phoenix and Illeana Douglas are brilliant here. The film is fun, funny, sexy and to die for (ha ha?). One of my all-time favorites.

8/10 (A-)

Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:04 pm
Team Kris

This is actually one of my favorite movies and favorite Kidman performance, Moulin Rouge aside (that's actually saying something in my case, since I don't really like her. :( )

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:18 pm
Team Kris

Sad-man wrote:
Excellent movie. Great performances, great writing and great directing. Nicole Kidman, Joaquin Phoenix and Illeana Douglas are brilliant here. The film is fun, funny, sexy and to die for (ha ha?). One of my all-time favorites.

8/10 (A-)

Sad-Man is my favorite new poster.

Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:19 pm
Speed Racer

Yay! Do I get an award? :D

Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:02 pm
Some days I'm a super bitch

I don't think I'll ever forget that scene where she gets a little... um.. "carried away" while giving the weather forcast. heh

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:19 am
Profile WWW
Devil's Advocate

Sad-man wrote:

8/10 (A-)

Only 8/10 for one of your all time favorites?

Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:21 am
Extraordinary

This was one of those movies that had an incredible buzz around it when it came out (likely the product of great marketing and well paid critics), that I found very underwhelming when I ended up seeing it - - and me a major Nicole Kidman fanboy... :wacko:

Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:58 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

I LOVE this movie. Nicole Kidman delivers a ferocious performance that is easily one of her best, and the script is razor-sharp and unpredictable. It's an incredibly entertaining and often hilarious dark comedy that's one of my favorites as well. A

Tue Jul 08, 2008 10:54 am
Profile YIM
Speed Racer

Shack wrote:
Sad-man wrote:

8/10 (A-)

Only 8/10 for one of your all time favorites?

It's close to a 9/10. But yes...All-time favorite and all-time best are two different things. But TO DIE FOR would be on both lists though. An 8/10 is a really high grade.

Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:13 pm
Extraordinary

Nicole Kidman was badass in 1995.

Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:49 am
The Lubitsch Touch

The film is mostly funny and entertaining, but Van Sant's satire is unfocused and the whole thing feels out-of-touch, like an old man sitting on his porch and raving about the evils of television. But Van Sant doesn't posit any real reasons to hate television, so the film feels reactionary; he seems to hate television simply because it's television. An intellectually lazy position, Gus.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:27 am
now we know

I thought I had seen this years ago when I was young. Maybe I did but watching it just now felt very fresh as if I hadn't.

Not a bad film, but far from what I was expecting and wanting. Nicole Kidman is great, and Gus van Sant does a good enough job in making it his own, but the film never flows in the way I wanted it to, and the outcome is too small-time. I liked the film. It has some good humour (especially from Wayne Knight). It has Joaquin Phoenix and Casey Affleck in their early days, but the film doesn't ever hit the levels of eroticism or gore that other 90s thrillers do -- in fact it doesn't have any gore or sex as everything is off-screen. I suppose I just got more than I bargained for, and I actually just wanted this to be a nice little thriller.

B-

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:57 am
Profile WWW
The Kramer

90s Nicole Kidman is peak sexiness.

The movie itself wasn't all that though. Any scene that doesn't have Nicole in it is instantly boring even though the rest of the cast is pretty solid. And the whole convince your new lover to kill your old lover was a pretty common plotline in these times. I guess because they didn't have truecrime podcasts and tv shows yet? So married couples could only use thrillers and cop shows to fantasize about killing their spouses.

The ending also really annoyed me. After all she accomplished, she's gonna be THAT stupid? Lazy lazy lazy writing.

So I'll give Nicole Kidman an 8 here, the rest of the movie is a 3, and we'll settle around 5.5/10.

Tue Oct 10, 2023 3:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]