Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 The Sixth Sense 

What grade would you give this film?
A 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
B 44%  44%  [ 4 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 9

The Sixth Sense 
College Boy Z

Post The Sixth Sense
The Sixth Sense

Quote:
The Sixth Sense is a 1999 American drama film written and directed by M. Night Shyamalan. The film tells the story of Cole Sear (Haley Joel Osment), a troubled, isolated boy who is able to see and talk to the dead, and an equally troubled child psychologist (Bruce Willis) who tries to help him. The film established Shyamalan as a writer and director, and introduced the cinema public to his traits, most notably his affinity for surprise endings. The film was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture.

Similar to The Village, the first time I watched this, I didn't like it (C+). The second time, it was great, though. It was a great movie, though what people say about this movie actually being scary is 100% false. It's well crafted, with a great twist.

B+

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:27 pm
The Original

Not bad movie but I dont really understand how somebody can find "The Sixth Sense" scary :-k

But it has a very nice Storytelling

7/10

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:40 pm
New Server, Same X

My 7th grade teacher ruined the ending for us. A great teacher, but never will I forgive him for that.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 5:55 pm
We had our time together

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:24 pm
Profile WWW
Teh Mexican

I like it!, i dont remember the kid's name, but he was great on that role also Bruce!
Scary no, but somewhat creepy....in some scenes

B+

Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:50 am
Forum General

I don't know why, but I just don't like the director. The best movie he's mad was The Village (7/10 or B). The Sixth Sense is terribly overrated. It's not something I'd want to watch ever again.

6/10 (C+)

1. La La Land
2. Other People
3. Nocturnal Animals
4. Swiss Army Man
5. Manchester by the Sea
6. The Edge of Seventeen
7. Sing Street
8. Indignation
9. The Lobster
10. Hell or High Water

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:10 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Somewhat overrated, and not Shyamalan's best, but a great film nonetheless. The surprise twist is simply amazing. 8.0/10 (A-)

Tue Feb 08, 2005 1:28 pm
All Star Poster

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
life begins now

A-

Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:36 pm
Profile YIM
Extra on the Ordinary

B

Best Actress 2008

Tue Feb 08, 2005 11:06 pm
Profile WWW
Veteran

The movie was never meant to be scary. Slow paced, well acted and excellent performances by Haley J O. Even the wooden Willis was very good. The best part of the movie was in the house of the young girl.

A-

Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:15 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Fri May 06, 2005 8:00 pm
Profile YIM
You must have big rats

What a great and spooky thriller. This movie did to ghost movies and twist endings what Scream did to slashers movies in the late 90s. Besides being wonderfully shot, well-edited, beautifully scored and amazingly acted (especially by Haley Joel Osmet), it also sports a haunting and very engaging story. It works as a mystery thriller just as well as a drama. The twist ending is one of the best I have ever witnessed (yes, I was one of those who didn't see it coming) and the entire movie, thanks to the great direction by M. Night Shyamalan, is geniunely creepy. In my whole moviegoing life, not a single movie made me jump as much and sit on the edge of my seat as this one did. The movie's conclusion is great as well, it's shocking, a bit tragic and yet very satsifying. This will go down as a classic of supernatural films and deservingly so.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:24 am
Profile WWW
MISSING IN ACTION

hmm..just a question, if you were grading this movie in 1999, would you really have called it overated? Honestly, I'd call it overated as well admist all these other "twisty thrillers", but back in the day, this was one original piece of cinema. The acting, editing, use of color, story, and "jumpy scenes"-which were sort of invented by the movie-and most of all, the end, all made the movie what it was: OUTRIGHT CREEPY.

Grade: A

...burn, die, and go to hell bizznitch.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:58 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

I'll basically expand on my rating here. This is one of the few films that M. Night Shyamalan has done that lives up to the hype. The performances are amazing and the premise is haunting and creepy.

Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:41 pm
Profile YIM
Award Winning Bastard

Predictable "twist" ending, and sloppily written, which has become the staple of Shyamalan. Decent and mildly entertaining, but nothing special at all. I have no idea how this made almost 300 million.

B-

Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:23 pm
Hot Fuss

A

Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:25 pm
Profile YIM WWW
All Star Poster

A

Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:28 am
Devil's Advocate

I need to see it again, but I thought it was a very well made ghost story, and the twist was great. I also no have no idea how this made so much money though.

Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:13 pm
Mod Team Leader

What's going on here? The summer of 99 has produced 2 very intensely creepy films. First Blair Witch takes us all by storm and now the Sixth Sense does the same thing. What we have here is a film that does all the things that a "horror" film should do. It uses shadows, it has talk of the dead and the undead and it even uses other things like atmosphere and music to produce a very good scary film, and one that will have you buzzing about the ending.

Young Cole can hear and see dead people and it is up to Dr. Malcolm to help him out. The story itself is interesting and how it is carried out is even better. But I have to say that I think this is a film that should be seen twice to figure everything out and to understand all that it is. Because when you leave the theater you will question many aspects of the film. You will wonder if it is legitimate in it's approach and honest and realistic with what the end of the film has wants us to believe. But when I walked home and had a chance to examine it, I realized how truthful it is, and that makes it even more brilliant. And in a way this film reminds me of a 1987 film called Angel Heart. Both films concentrate on foreshadowing and they also play with our intellect. When I first saw Angel Heart, I knew that it was good, but when I began to watch it more often on video, I realized that Angel Heart was a film that had more to it in every shot. Every single time the camera rolled, there was always a subliminal meaning behind the ersatz one that was in front of us. And that is what I think Sixth Sense does so well. You wonder at first why Malcolm can't get into his basement, and then when you leave the theater and think about the film, you realize how much it all made sense. This is a film that manipulates our psyche and plays with our ethos. But it has a great time doing so. I highly recommend this film, especially if you want to be frightened. There are about five or six really good moments in the film that make your heart stop. And on that level the film is terrific. But as a film, not a genre piece, this is top notch and dare I say that Cole may be remembered at Oscar time. Go see this film!

10/10

Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:17 pm
Profile WWW
Indiana Jones IV

Good Movie, agreed with some of the people here, a little over rated, but none the less a good movie. A-/B+

Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:15 pm
Profile YIM WWW
loyalfromlondon

Quiet, haunting, and very effective horror drama, with great cinematography and a fantastic score. The story and its twist has been praised ad nauseum and perhaps diminished by Shyamalan's later works, but its impact is not lost on me. It's one of the most cleverly original and heartfelt scripts of all time, and really makes the film. Combined with this is some great acting - Osment and Collette especially, but there are no weak links - superb direction, and some moments of pure terror. One of the scariest films ever made because it relies on suspense, not gore, to make the audience sympathize with Cole. Just a terrific horror film.

Same.

Algren wrote:
I don't think. I predict. ;)

Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:16 pm
Sbil

I still remember seeing this when it first came out and being all "Hoooooooooly crap" at the end of the movie. Good times.

A

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:43 pm
You must have big rats

Incredible what happened to Shyamalan after this masterpiece...

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:41 am
Profile WWW
Extraordinary

Very well-made, but the ending didn't surprise me as much as, say, The Others did. The hints were quite noticeable along the way. Also, the story overall isn't as memorable as The Others. B+/B.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:16 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next