Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:56 pm

Reply to topic  [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next
 The Incredible Hulk 

What grade would you give this film?
A 30%  30%  [ 17 ]
B 39%  39%  [ 22 ]
C 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
D 7%  7%  [ 4 ]
F 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 56

The Incredible Hulk 
Dont Mess with the Gez

Post The Incredible Hulk
The Incredible Hulk

Quote:
The Incredible Hulk is a 2008 superhero film based on the Marvel Comics character the Hulk. It is directed by Louis Leterrier and stars Edward Norton as Dr. Bruce Banner/the Hulk. It is not a sequel to Hulk (2003), but rather a reboot that establishes a new back-story where Banner became the Hulk as an unwitting pawn in a military scheme to reinvigorate the supersoldier program through gamma radiation. On the run, he attempts to cure himself of the Hulk before he is captured by General Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross (William Hurt), but his worst fears are realized when power-hungry soldier Emil Blonsky (Tim Roth) becomes the Abomination. Liv Tyler also stars as Betty Ross, Banner's girlfriend and General Ross' daughter.

Marvel Studios reacquired the rights to the character after the mixed reception to Hulk, and writer Zak Penn began work on a loose sequel that would be much closer to the comics and the television series. Norton rewrote the script after he signed on to star, which clarified the film's new back-story. Leterrier aimed to make the film realistic, giving a more frightening direction for the look of the monsters, while redesigning the Abomination from the comics' reptilian humanoid into a mutated monster with bony protrusions. Filming mostly took place in Toronto, Canada in 2007, where the production attempted to be environmentally friendly.

The film outgrossed its predecessor and received generally positive reviews. Despite this positive reception Marvel chose to put off a possible sequel until after 2012's The Avengers. As of April 6, 2009, the film has grossed $263,427,551 in worldwide box office and it made $85,755,879 in home video sales, bringing its total film gross to $349,183,430.

What's your favourite movie summer? Let us know @

http://worldofkj.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85934

Tue Jun 10, 2008 10:04 pm
Stanley Cup

Post Re: The Incredible Hulk
i'm going to bed right now so I'll write a review tomorrow

Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:45 am
Stanley Cup

So I saw this as an advance screening which was my first time ever seeing a movie in advance, which was pretty cool to say the least. Anyways, on to the movie.

I was no fan of Ang Lee's Hulk film. I found it overlong, lacking action, and a storyline that bored me to tears. Most of the people who saw the film agreed.

The Hulk is a difficult character to bring to life. I mean in someways we can believe Spider-Man, Batman, and Iron Man, they feel realistic. When the Hulk comes alive, no matter what, it's going to feel and in someways look fake. So the heart of the film has to come from Bruce Banner and the storyline. Something Lee overdid.

Alright to the film.

The film starts off quickly enough. You don't actually see the accident, it's more of a montage of what happens and where we are at now. Bruce is hiding in Brazil working at a bottling company. So the film is kind of rebooted, kind of sequeled, kind of both. I think it's about 20 minutes before we see Hulk for the first time and I must say, he looks badass. He looks like he could kick the shit out of the 2003 Hulk. He looks mean, he is ripped and he doesn't look like a 5 year old baby. This isn't Ang Lee's Hulk and we see this straight from the beginning. This Hulk loses control and kills, you don't hear some guy that just crashes in a helicopter saying "don't worry I'm ok." This is Hulk wrecking people and enjoying it. Bruce hasn't yet learned to control the Hulk and still wants to get rid of it at this point.

He is in contact with a man named Mr. Blue. This is the first fault I found in the film. 1. How the hell did he start making contact with a man he never knew. 2. How would he know it's not the military trying to get his blood, which he is so scared of. 3. You're telling me that the government can't track this? Anyways, it's a minor fault that really doesn't take away from the film.

I won't go into anymore spoilers of the film because I want yall to be able to go and be surprised like me, so now I'll just discuss the film in general.

Acting wise this film had a lot to live up to. Though I thought the 2003 film sucked, I thought the cast did what they could with it except for Jennifer Connelly who I believe is an awful actress. Ed Norton delivers a very good role. You can tell he is a fan of the character and seemed like he had a good time doing it. Liv Tyler is adequate, she isn't really given much to do in the film except scream and say I love you. Tim Roth gives a decent performance to a role he was horribly miscast, i'll get to that though when I talk about the villain. Also, William Hurt gives a pretty bad performance. It felt like he was chewing so much scenery that by the end of the film there were no sets left. He overacted, yelled, and screamed his way through this film and it felt like a quick grab for a pay check. No one else is really important.

Now my major problem with the film is Tim Roth's character. From the moment you see him on screen you can tell the guy just is an asshole and he's the villain. I almost thought the writers were going to have him kick a baby just to make sure we knew he was that bad of a guy. His character really doesn't have any motivation to turn into the Abomination the character just sort of wants to do it and there we go. Maybe because I've been spoiled with great villains with Batman Begins and Spidey 1 & 2 but it just felt like a weak character that led to a weak villain. Though I must say they seem to have set up the villain for the sequel very well and we already saw more development for that character in this film then for Abomination.

The action. The first two Hulk scenes were great. First in Brazil, then on campus. They were very well done, you could see the huge power of Hulk and just how scary he could see. They were directed very well and flowed perfectly. Then we get to the final action scene, the scene that is supposed to be 25 minutes long. I must say that after the first two scenes I was ready, I wanted to see two giants kick the living shit out of each other. And we got that, for about 5 minutes. The worst mistake the writers made were having these two creatures talk. It felt out of place and ridiculous. Abomination says some of the cheesiest stupidest lines you could think of. Half the "action scene" took place on a helicopter with Betty and General screaming and pinned. I don't want to see that shit, i want to see two beasts beating the shit out of each other. The final fight was a major let down. The Hulk smash was alright, him yelling it out was just plain dumb. Oh and almost forgot, the Hulk has super breath like Superman. :roll:

The romance between Betty and Bruce was well done. There is one funny scene that involves the bedroom. Norton and Tyler had decent enough chemistry for a comic book film.

The writing was incredibly inconsistent. Some of the worst lines of the year I heard in this film but it also had some emotional and hilarious lines. It felt like they had 8 different writers from 8 different genres writing the script. It felt bloated.

In the end, was I entertained? Yes I was. It was a pretty good film that feels like could be built on if a sequel does get made. The best part of the film was the Tony Stark cameo mostly because Iron Man kicked ass and it made me want to see that film again. There are a few "easter eggs" and shout outs but no, Captain America is not in the film, at least not in the screener I got to see. The acting was good, the action was pretty good, the script was too damn inconsistent.

Grade: B

Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:44 pm
The Greatest Avenger EVER

Jim Halpert wrote:
So I saw this as an advance screening which was my first time ever seeing a movie in advance, which was pretty cool to say the least. Anyways, on to the movie.

I was no fan of Ang Lee's Hulk film. I found it overlong, lacking action, and a storyline that bored me to tears. Most of the people who saw the film agreed.

The Hulk is a difficult character to bring to life. I mean in someways we can believe Spider-Man, Batman, and Iron Man, they feel realistic. When the Hulk comes alive, no matter what, it's going to feel and in someways look fake. So the heart of the film has to come from Bruce Banner and the storyline. Something Lee overdid.

Alright to the film.

The film starts off quickly enough. You don't actually see the accident, it's more of a montage of what happens and where we are at now. Bruce is hiding in Brazil working at a bottling company. So the film is kind of rebooted, kind of sequeled, kind of both. I think it's about 20 minutes before we see Hulk for the first time and I must say, he looks badass. He looks like he could kick the shit out of the 2003 Hulk. He looks mean, he is ripped and he doesn't look like a 5 year old baby. This isn't Ang Lee's Hulk and we see this straight from the beginning. This Hulk loses control and kills, you don't hear some guy that just crashes in a helicopter saying "don't worry I'm ok." This is Hulk wrecking people and enjoying it. Bruce hasn't yet learned to control the Hulk and still wants to get rid of it at this point.

He is in contact with a man named Mr. Blue. This is the first fault I found in the film. 1. How the hell did he start making contact with a man he never knew. 2. How would he know it's not the military trying to get his blood, which he is so scared of. 3. You're telling me that the government can't track this? Anyways, it's a minor fault that really doesn't take away from the film.

I won't go into anymore spoilers of the film because I want yall to be able to go and be surprised like me, so now I'll just discuss the film in general.

Acting wise this film had a lot to live up to. Though I thought the 2003 film sucked, I thought the cast did what they could with it except for Jennifer Connelly who I believe is an awful actress. Ed Norton delivers a very good role. You can tell he is a fan of the character and seemed like he had a good time doing it. Liv Tyler is adequate, she isn't really given much to do in the film except scream and say I love you. Tim Roth gives a decent performance to a role he was horribly miscast, i'll get to that though when I talk about the villain. Also, William Hurt gives a pretty bad performance. It felt like he was chewing so much scenery that by the end of the film there were no sets left. He overacted, yelled, and screamed his way through this film and it felt like a quick grab for a pay check. No one else is really important.

Now my major problem with the film is Tim Roth's character. From the moment you see him on screen you can tell the guy just is an asshole and he's the villain. I almost thought the writers were going to have him kick a baby just to make sure we knew he was that bad of a guy. His character really doesn't have any motivation to turn into the Abomination the character just sort of wants to do it and there we go. Maybe because I've been spoiled with great villains with Batman Begins and Spidey 1 & 2 but it just felt like a weak character that led to a weak villain. Though I must say they seem to have set up the villain for the sequel very well and we already saw more development for that character in this film then for Abomination.

The action. The first two Hulk scenes were great. First in Brazil, then on campus. They were very well done, you could see the huge power of Hulk and just how scary he could see. They were directed very well and flowed perfectly. Then we get to the final action scene, the scene that is supposed to be 25 minutes long. I must say that after the first two scenes I was ready, I wanted to see two giants kick the living shit out of each other. And we got that, for about 5 minutes. The worst mistake the writers made were having these two creatures talk. It felt out of place and ridiculous. Abomination says some of the cheesiest stupidest lines you could think of. Half the "action scene" took place on a helicopter with Betty and General screaming and pinned. I don't want to see that shit, i want to see two beasts beating the shit out of each other. The final fight was a major let down. The Hulk smash was alright, him yelling it out was just plain dumb. Oh and almost forgot, the Hulk has super breath like Superman. :roll:

The romance between Betty and Bruce was well done. There is one funny scene that involves the bedroom. Norton and Tyler had decent enough chemistry for a comic book film.

The writing was incredibly inconsistent. Some of the worst lines of the year I heard in this film but it also had some emotional and hilarious lines. It felt like they had 8 different writers from 8 different genres writing the script. It felt bloated.

In the end, was I entertained? Yes I was. It was a pretty good film that feels like could be built on if a sequel does get made. The best part of the film was the Tony Stark cameo mostly because Iron Man kicked ass and it made me want to see that film again. There are a few "easter eggs" and shout outs but no, Captain America is not in the film, at least not in the screener I got to see. The acting was good, the action was pretty good, the script was too damn inconsistent.

Grade: B

AWESOME!!! Glad you enjoyed it..

Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:51 pm
Profile WWW

Magnus wrote:
About a certain spoiler....

Spoiler: show
Captain America was apparently in the film but got cut out. Apparently there was supposed to be a point when Banner considered suicide and he's in Antartica and he meets up with Captain America. But that whole sub-plot got cut cause it was too dark

Surely not meet up with, but more, seeing, or better said, we seeing him being frozen in ice?

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:09 pm
Profile WWW
Stanley Cup

loyalfromlondon wrote:
hey Jim, does the Abomination live to fight another day? Or does Hulk rip off his head?

lives. Hulk is about to kill him but Betty stops him.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:17 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

Jim Halpert wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
hey Jim, does the Abomination live to fight another day? Or does Hulk rip off his head?

Aww!!! How emotional!!!

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:17 pm
Stanley Cup

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Jim Halpert wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:

So they put some chains on him and off to Supermax he goes?

Or does he revert? I had that theory a while ago.

the hulk is choking him with a chain. Betty runs up to him and YELLS BRUCE NOOOOOOOOO. He stops. Helicopter shines a spotlight on Hulk, Hulk runs off with abomination just laying there.

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:33 pm
Stanley Cup

loyalfromlondon wrote:
Jim

Does the film end on a high note or is it sad enough that the Artic scene could work after the credits. Is Bruce Banner still searching at the end?

bruce is in canada and is learning to control being the hulk. So kind of happy

Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:38 pm
KJ's Leading Pundit

How LAME!!!

It sounds utterly CORNY as hell.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:31 pm
Stanley Cup

Munk·E wrote:
How LAME!!!

it's a fun film. Nothing more, nothing less

Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:42 pm

Munk·E wrote:
How LAME!!!

So does your posts.. :hahaha:

Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:27 am
Profile WWW
Forum General

Munk·E wrote:
How LAME!!!

A robot falling in love with a robot is LAME!!

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:34 am
Profile WWW

Seriously, who gave this an "F"??? Show yourself cause the only reason you gave it this grade is because of ME, not the movie and you know it which is pretty weak..

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:07 pm
Profile WWW
Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

If you are going to give something a F, own it and write a flipping review.

Stop being a idiotic coward.

Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:20 pm
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

The Incredible BKB wrote:
Seriously, who gave this an "F"??? Show yourself cause the only reason you gave it this grade is because of ME, not the movie and you know it which is pretty weak..

For the record it was NOT me. I haven't seen the film yet (watching it tonight). I'll stand by whatever grade I feel it deserves. I'm hoping its good.

So whoever gave this an F show yourself and be accountable.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:50 pm
Forum General

The Incredible BKB wrote:

Probably that person below who is in love with that lame pixar robot movie.

Munk-E

Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:38 pm
Profile WWW
KJ's Leading Pundit

I'll give this whatever I want! It deserves it's F.

trixster wrote:
chippy is correct

Rev wrote:
Fuck Trump

Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:13 am
Commander and Chef

My friends

this was the most awesomist film ever. Not only do i think this was the best thing i saw this year, this was the best superhero movie i've seen ever. it couuld just be the adrenaline talking at the moment.

i will say one thing. the dark knight came into this year as the leading contender for quality. Right now, with Ironman and Hulk, The Dark Knight has a lot of pressure on it to perform. because we've had 2 very quality superhero movies that weren't just good, but fantastic. the caped crusader has a lot to live upto

A+

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:32 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

loyalfromlondon wrote:
lots of cheese and seemingly less action than Ang Lee's version.

But not a bad way to spend midnight.

C

we may have seen 2 different movies considering the entire film from start to finish was filled with equally distributed action sequences, that were long and full of amazing sequences.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:33 am
Profile WWW
Jordan Mugen-Honda

This movie made me exteremly happy in my pants area. Being on the side of trolls like the Hulk loons makes me feel dirty but dammit this movie was brilliant.

TDK has alot to live up to.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:38 am
Rachel McAdams Fan

As someone who absolutely hated Ang Lee's Hulk, I went into this with some hesitation. I knew the film had definite potential, but was apprehensive because I was also not a fan of director Louis Letterier's other films as well. Thankfully, it completely delivered on all fronts. This film is a total blast from beginning to end - completely re-igniting a stale franchise and providing the audience with a non-stop adrenaline rush. Iron Man is definitely superior to this film in terms of quality, but if you're looking for an action-packed summer popcorn flick, The Incredible Hulk is the perfect choice. Edward Norton is a charismatic and capable lead and Liv Tyler makes a great love interest. They both have solid chemistry and their scenes together are charming, giving the film the bit of fun and heart that the last installment was definitely missing. Less memorable are Tim Roth as a somewhat cliched villain and William Hurt as General Ross, but both do an alright job for the most part. The film moves at a rapid pace, and in addition features some truly phenomenal action sequences. Letterier really has an eye for them and all three big battle scenes in the film are definitely the highlights - in addition to the awesome ending with the appearance of none other than Tony Stark. This is sure to please audiences looking for a fun time and should finally give fans of the character the film they were looking for the first time around. I can't wait for the sequel. A-

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:40 am
Profile YIM
Commander and Chef

i will say one thing though. i found liv tyler's constant pitch that she maitnained throughout the film, whether she was sad, happy, consoling, to be extremely annoying. her acting was horrible.

everything else was A+

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:45 am
Profile WWW
Commander and Chef

loyalfromlondon wrote:
bABA wrote:
loyalfromlondon wrote:
lots of cheese and seemingly less action than Ang Lee's version.

But not a bad way to spend midnight.

C

we may have seen 2 different movies considering the entire film from start to finish was filled with equally distributed action sequences, that were long and full of amazing sequences.

bottle factory, campus, Harlem.

I just read your review. We may have actually seen 2 different films. :funny:

I have to be at the stage at 9 so I cant play late but suffice to say, Hulk aint no Iron Man.

i can't help but agree with you there. It is no Ironman. Its way better than that. finally an end fight where are hero isn't totally outclassed only to win at the end when something retarded happens.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:49 am
Profile WWW

yearsago wrote:
If you are going to give something a F, own it and write a flipping review.

Stop being a idiotic coward.

Polls are anonymous, and polls are voluntary. If people do not want to post, they don't have to. Don't call them names for that.

Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:05 am
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 184 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next