Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:24 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 The Promotion 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 100%  100%  [ 2 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 2

The Promotion 

Post The Promotion
The Promotion

Quote:
The Promotion is a 2008 American comedy film written and directed by Steven Conrad. A look at the quest for the American Dream, it focuses on two grocery store managers vying for a promotion.

The film premiered at South by Southwest in March 2008. It was released by Dimension Films on June 6, 2008.

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:46 am
Profile WWW
Rachel McAdams Fan

Post Re: The Promotion
I enjoyed it. It's a pretty sweet and well-written film for the most part, and there are definitely some laugh-out-loud moments here. All of the performances were very good as well, especially from Seann William Scott - in one of his most mature roles to date. The film did have a few problems though. Despite the short running time, it definitely had some pacing issues and dragged at certain points. Also, despite the attempts at humanizing him, I absolutely hated John C. Reilly's character and couldn't have cared less about him. I think Steve Conrad (the writer and director who previously wrote The Pursuit of Happyness) is more gifted at writing than directing as well, for at times the direction felt lazy and unfocused. Anyways, it's a solid film. Nothing great, but worth checking out. B-

Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:38 pm
Profile YIM
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: The Promotion
I enjoyed this a little more than Thompsoncory did. What ever flaws the film may have had were overshadowed by the guy sitting behind me constantly yelling out the actors names every time they appeared on screen, and i mean EVERY time. The only thing that kept the two other people in the audience with me from complaining about him was listening to him try and figure out who the actors were that he didn't recognize. He knew the main ones but the supporting cast thru him for quite a loop. Well annoying distractions aside I found this to be quite the enjoyable movie going experience. I felt that the characters were well written and performed quite nicely. Unlike Thompsom I thought Reilly's character worked and found him to be an adequate foil to Scott's. Speaking of Sean William Scott, he's really developed as an actor and its a shame he'll forever be known as 'Stiffler'. He really should be afforded more oppotunities. The film had some nice laugh out loud moments and was generally humurous throughout. It was a bit formulaic and you knew how it was going to end as soon as you sat down. But it was entertaining and most certainly better than the majority of alleged comedy's out there. If it's playing near you I recommend the trip down to the megaplex to see it.

Grade B+/A-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:13 am