Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 The Air I Breathe 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 67%  67%  [ 2 ]
C 33%  33%  [ 1 ]
D 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 3

The Air I Breathe 

Post The Air I Breathe
The Air I Breathe

Quote:
The Air I Breathe is the 2008 directorial film debut of Korean-American filmmaker Jieho Lee, who co-wrote the script with Bob DeRosa. It stars Kevin Bacon, Julie Delpy, Brendan Fraser, Andy Garcia, Sarah Michelle Gellar, Emile Hirsch, and Forest Whitaker. The film was financed by NALA Investments through its production company NALA Films, and was released on January 25, 2008 in the United States.

The concept of the film is based on an ancient Chinese proverb that breaks life down into four emotional cornerstones – Happiness (Whitaker), Pleasure (Fraser), Sorrow (Gellar), and Love (Bacon). The proverb speaks of these emotions, not as isolated fragments of feelings, but as elements that make up the whole of the human existence. Each of the four protagonists is based on one of the four emotions; and like the proverb their paths are inextricably linked to each other, akin to the Fingers (Garcia) of a hand.

None of the four main characters' actual names are mentioned in the whole film, although Gellar's character's stage name, "Trista", is mentioned several times.

Sun May 18, 2008 3:36 am
Profile WWW
i break the rules, so i don't care

Post Re: The Air I Breathe
C+

Disjointed mess. The stories don't blend well together, especially Bacon/Delpy's and Whittaker's.

Having said all that, this is still quite interesting and the acting is decent across the board, with Sarah Michelle Gellar getting room to shine in an otherwise forgettable film.

This film should of been better considering the talent involved.

Tue May 20, 2008 4:38 pm
Christian's #1 Fan

getluv wrote:
C+

Disjointed mess. The stories don't blend well together, especially Bacon/Delpy's and Whittaker's.

Having said all that, this is still quite interesting and the acting is decent across the board, with Sarah Michelle Gellar getting room to shine in an otherwise forgettable film.

:(

I was originally really looking forward to this.

Tue May 20, 2008 7:56 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

Jeff wrote:
getluv wrote:
C+

:(

I was originally really looking forward to this.

I'm more or less disappointed with the film. C+ was really generous even though I knew it had been given shit reviews. But, I'd still recommend it because its still rather interesting. Especially the story of Sorrow.

Tue May 20, 2008 8:06 pm
Rachel McAdams Fan

Yeah, I saw this theatrically back in January and felt pretty much the same way. This film is worth seeing for Sarah Michelle Gellar's performance, which really elevates the whole project. It's her best performance in a film since Cruel Intentions and her storyline is compelling and fascinating. The other actors are mostly serviceable but forgettable, with the exception of Forest Whitaker - who I found downight awful. It can also be a bit pretentious at times. I'd give it a B-/C+ overall, mainly because (thankfully) Gellar's storyline is easily the most prominent in the film.

Wed May 21, 2008 2:51 am
Profile YIM
Wallflower

Maybe it's because I had low expectations but I actually found this pretty interesting. Nothing groundbreaking but Sarah Michelle Gellar did give a great performance. It's a solid drama.

7/10 ( B )

Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:00 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]