Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 1:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
 Boogeyman 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
C 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
D 75%  75%  [ 6 ]
F 13%  13%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 8

Boogeyman 
College Boy Z

Post Boogeyman
Boogeyman

Quote:
Boogeyman is a 2005 American production horror film, directed by Stephen T. Kay. The film is a take on the classic "boogeyman", or monster in the closet.

Last edited by zingy on Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Feb 03, 2005 9:17 pm
Veteran

The movie is not very good. The way the bad guy is taken care of in the end is laughable. The brunette girl, Kate is pretty, if that is of any consolation.

C-

Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:42 pm
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Not as bad as I had expected, it was actually somewhat scary, although that was mainly due to the excessive use of jump-scare tactics. The ending was quite strange and could have been improved. Some areas of the film were too fast paced to allow comprehension of exactly what was occuring. Still it was fairly good, if mostly a by-the-numbers horror film. 5.4/10 (C)

Last edited by Jeff on Mon Feb 14, 2005 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Feb 04, 2005 11:36 pm
Veteran

Rogue, (Spoilers Ahead) I have used the white out.

The story was that the Boogeyman waited to get Tim for 15 years, but why?

Is it so they can have a final showdown? It doesn't make any sense?

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:29 am
Profile WWW
Christian's #1 Fan

Start Spoilers: I think it was because Tim protected himself by unscrewing the closet doors etc. after his father dissapeared, so the Boogeyman never had a "portal". I never quite got why he kept having all the visions and stuff and what was up with that girl. In the end he had to face his fears which is how he overcame the Boogeyman (which by the way was one of the worst showdowns in a horror movie in a long time). End Spoilers: I agree it wasn't that great, but it was somewhat creepy, and I actually jumped a few times which is unusual for me.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:56 am
Veteran

Thanks. I agree that there were some scary moments. The thing is that if they gave a really good reason for him to go back to the house (instead of his childhood therapist just telling him to go stay in th house) , it would have worked really well.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:02 am
Profile WWW
Affiliate

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:36 am
Profile WWW
New Server, Same X

Do you ever review the movie? And, is the advertising necessary? There's very little space between your advertisement in your post and the advertisement in your signature, both for the same site.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 1:56 am
Teenage Dream

Yeah, this was pretty terrible. I went in with lower than low expectations because of the terrible WOM, but even they weren't met. The strangest thing about this film is how incredibly boring it is. Things are always happening, but none of them are interesting or scary in the slightest, so I just kind of sat there waiting for something to surprise me. Nothing did. The jump scares are so ridiculously telegraphed they fail to make you jump, so they end up being filler. The only people that would find this scary are either people still in middle school or people who haven't seen any horror movies - because there is nothing new here. The director and cinematographer do manage to put together some nice, rather arty shot compositions, but the film is so ridiculously edited that a single shot doesn't last for more than three or four seconds. I had a hard time understanding exactly what was going on in this film because of the editing. Everything was so spastic and all over the place. The ending was terrible, too. Why does everything have to be CGI now? It just looks... terrible. I have a really hard time getting scared of something that looks like it's out of a seven year old video game.

Also, i'm normally a fan of hiding the creature in the shadows until the final reel, but this film desperately needed to reveal their villian early in the game. Whenever Barry Watson's character went into a closet, I literally forgot what I was supposed to be scared of because there had been little mention and no sign of the titular character throughout the film. God, the more I write about it, the more I hate this film. What a joke. A complete waste of space. As a horror fan, i've become literally embarrassed by the dreck passing as horror that's invaded the theaters this year. This stuff is just atrocious. White Noise, Hide and Seek, and now this. Who are these films made for? Who could possibly find this stuff entertaining or scary? I guess my answer lies in the fact that my showing of Boogeyman tonight was filled with middle schoolers and high school freshmen screaming at the top of their lungs, dropping cuss words into their sentences every other word, and using the word "fag" a lot. I'm seriously considering never seeing another PG13 horror film in theaters again. Every single time it's like this, and at least I could help in the cause of stopping production of these films. Horror has become a joke. It's something that 13 and 14 year olds see on Friday night as an excuse to try and impress each other with who can be the most blatantly homophobic in a public setting, and who can scream the loudest at shit that's not even scary. Wow. This has turned into quite the little rant. :lol:

Sat Feb 05, 2005 4:42 am
La Bella Vito

"It's something that 13 and 14 year olds see on Friday night as an excuse to try and impress each other with who can be the most blatantly homophobic in a public setting, and who can scream the loudest at shit that's not even scary. Wow. This has turned into quite the little rant."

I don't find that cool at all. One night when I went to see "The Grudge" these gangster type guys called me a "fucking faggot" just because I jumped at screamed at some of the scary scenes, and it was very mean, and uneccessary of them. My friends were getting in their faces, and I was telling them not to worry about it, but deep down inside I really wanted to tell them something, but I knew it would esculate, and it would turn into a fist fight, and I didn't want that.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:14 am
Profile YIM WWW
New Server, Same X

"It's something that 13 and 14 year olds see on Friday night as an excuse to try and impress each other with who can be the most blatantly homophobic in a public setting, and who can scream the loudest at shit that's not even scary. Wow. This has turned into quite the little rant."

I don't find that cool at all. One night when I went to see "The Grudge" these gangster type guys called me a "fucking faggot" just because I jumped at screamed at some of the scary scenes, and it was very mean, and uneccessary of them. My friends were getting in their faces, and I was telling them not to worry about it, but deep down inside I really wanted to tell them something, but I knew it would esculate, and it would turn into a fist fight, and I didn't want that.

You have to learn that "these gangster type guys" are the most useless, meaningless, mindless, heartless groups in the entire world. They have their own "special" language, consisting of cursing, the bastardization of the English language, and "dawg". Oh, how I hate that word. They think their tough, but that's because you got a group of them, each with their own weapons of choice. Argh, these people make me sick. It's not worth it to tell them off, or throw a punch at them, because even though they are the most extreme assholes you can find, they may do worse damage than you'd like.

... so, how about that Boogeyman? 8-[

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:11 am
You must have big rats

Yeah, this was pretty terrible. I went in with lower than low expectations because of the terrible WOM, but even they weren't met. The strangest thing about this film is how incredibly boring it is. Things are always happening, but none of them are interesting or scary in the slightest, so I just kind of sat there waiting for something to surprise me. Nothing did. The jump scares are so ridiculously telegraphed they fail to make you jump, so they end up being filler. The only people that would find this scary are either people still in middle school or people who haven't seen any horror movies - because there is nothing new here. The director and cinematographer do manage to put together some nice, rather arty shot compositions, but the film is so ridiculously edited that a single shot doesn't last for more than three or four seconds. I had a hard time understanding exactly what was going on in this film because of the editing. Everything was so spastic and all over the place. The ending was terrible, too. Why does everything have to be CGI now? It just looks... terrible. I have a really hard time getting scared of something that looks like it's out of a seven year old video game.

Also, i'm normally a fan of hiding the creature in the shadows until the final reel, but this film desperately needed to reveal their villian early in the game. Whenever Barry Watson's character went into a closet, I literally forgot what I was supposed to be scared of because there had been little mention and no sign of the titular character throughout the film. God, the more I write about it, the more I hate this film. What a joke. A complete waste of space. As a horror fan, i've become literally embarrassed by the dreck passing as horror that's invaded the theaters this year. This stuff is just atrocious. White Noise, Hide and Seek, and now this. Who are these films made for? Who could possibly find this stuff entertaining or scary? I guess my answer lies in the fact that my showing of Boogeyman tonight was filled with middle schoolers and high school freshmen screaming at the top of their lungs, dropping cuss words into their sentences every other word, and using the word "fag" a lot. I'm seriously considering never seeing another PG13 horror film in theaters again. Every single time it's like this, and at least I could help in the cause of stopping production of these films. Horror has become a joke. It's something that 13 and 14 year olds see on Friday night as an excuse to try and impress each other with who can be the most blatantly homophobic in a public setting, and who can scream the loudest at shit that's not even scary. Wow. This has turned into quite the little rant. :lol:

:sad: That doesn't bode too well for my viewings of these films

Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:38 am
Profile WWW

Homophobic thugs are the worst. Take solace in the fact that some of them have male lovers and are just dealing with their own issues in a bad way.

Looks like another PG-13 horror film helps to sink the genre.

I [-o< for Cursed.

Sat Feb 05, 2005 12:29 pm
College Boy Z

Boogeyman is a disgrace to the horror genre. What looked creepy and interesting from the trailer turned out to be a useless, 86 minute adventure into closets. There were absolutely no scares, though they tried very hard to. The movie is filled with plot holes. Some of the things that happened were ridiculous. The movie has an incredibly idiotic ending. There is not one good thing to say about this movie, and it's complete dissapointment. Right on par with Darkness, this is one of the worst horror movies I've seen in a while.

D

Sun Feb 06, 2005 3:50 am
Where will you be?

You have to learn that "these gangster type guys" are the most useless, meaningless, mindless, heartless groups in the entire world. They have their own "special" language, consisting of cursing, the bastardization of the English language, and "dawg". Oh, how I hate that word. They think their tough, but that's because you got a group of them, each with their own weapons of choice. Argh, these people make me sick. It's not worth it to tell them off, or throw a punch at them, because even though they are the most extreme assholes you can find, they may do worse damage than you'd like.

... so, how about that Boogeyman? 8-[

... That's fucking profiling a group of people if I've ever heard it. Not so much because a lot of the gangsta types aren't assholes, but moreso because pretty much any group of black teens gets thrown in as a bunch of punks (my group included on repeat incidents). Even beyond that, you're being incredibly narrow and offensive. How many of "these gangster type guys" do you really KNOW? Maybe the reason a lot of us act tough is because by now that's all anyone expects out of us, and treats us as such. When I've held the door open for people in the theater before, they've quickened there pace and ran through as if I was going to to slam the door in there face. If you know people are going to treat you like shit, why bother not doing the same? That's the mentality a lot of people like me often get at times, and it's not because we're all some asshole race, it's because of previous expieriences and frustration. Just thought I'd let you know that was way more offensive then a lot of the shit I hear from "those gangster type guys".

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:13 am
Forum General

Boogeyman is a disgrace to the horror genre. What looked creepy and interesting from the trailer turned out to be a useless, 86 minute adventure into closets. There were absolutely no scares, though they tried very hard to. The movie is filled with plot holes. Some of the things that happened were ridiculous. The movie has an incredibly idiotic ending. There is not one good thing to say about this movie, and it's complete dissapointment. Right on par with Darkness, this is one of the worst horror movies I've seen in a while.

D

Im somewhat agree...I mean it wasnt AWFUL, but i had higher hopes...but White Noise officially takes the cake for leading the audiance on only to be a shitty crap fest

Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:34 am
Teenage Dream

This movie is too short. They need more scenes with the Boogeyman in costume taking people.

Grade: C

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:31 pm
Hot Fuss

Heheh.... you guys fall for the same bait everyweek. :razz:

Tue Feb 08, 2005 8:53 pm
Profile YIM WWW
Where will you be?

Thank you lowered expectations. I went in expecting absolute dreck, and what did I get? The best of the four horror movies I've seen this year easy (though being better then Hide and Seek, Alone in the Dark and White Noise doesn't exactly give you bragging rights). I really dug the crazy style the movie had going, the camera angles were like Evil Dead x5. Though there was definitely a tad too much build up, I actually didn't see why everyone thought the pay off was so awful. The movie's ending was infinitely better then White Noise, and actually made perfect sense and was very easily comprehensible. SPOILERSThe Boogeyman just looked like whatever scared him, everyone has there own boogeyman, I coudl buy that easy. Destroying what you fear is about the most logical thing I could've seen it being. And no, he did not look half as awful as everyone said. A lot of that might have just been that they kept him in the dark by and large, but he looked far better then the Bat Boy ghosts from White Noise. Barry Watson was way better then he had any right to be, though I got to admit he looked exactly like Boone from Lost. Then again, maybe the reason the movie was as entertaining for me as it was had to do with such incredibly bad WOM from everyone. Zing, how can you possibly give this a D and White Noise an A-? Sounds to me like you got the girl of your dreams the night you saw White Noise, and you two broke up the day you saw Boogeyman. ;) Anyways, Boogeyman gets a B/B- from me.

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:16 am
New Server, Same X

A poor excuse for a movie. I think the parts near the end (not the ending itself) were well-done, but everything leading up to it, and the ending itself were really poorly done. It was NEVER scary. The jump-tactics this film uses will make you jump, but for what? It's never actually scary, it's just some loud noise in a quiet situation. The film started off all right, actually, and the part where he was in bed, and saw someone dead lying next to him was actually a little scary, but after that, the film fell apart. Heck, even for the three or four minutes near the end that were all right, nothing could save this film at all. I need real horror, not some film with bright lights and loud noises pretending to be a horror movie. Oh, and Barry Watson was surprisingly all right in his role. I've only seen him on 7th Heaven, but here he was not half bad. And yes, he does remind me of Boone from Lost.

Grade: C-

Sun Feb 13, 2005 2:12 pm
now we know

You have to learn to be a bit stronger within yourself.

Also, whilst it is slang, faggot means a gay person, and you are gay, and i presume you have fucked before, so they are only being truthful.....not in the nicest way, but still, truthful :wink: lol

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:34 pm
Profile WWW
now we know

Im not sure if i will see this, its getting really rubbish reviews here.

STOP UIGHUR GENOCIDE IN XINJIANG
FIGHT FOR TAIWAN INDEPENDENCE
FREE TIBET
LIBERATE HONG KONG
BOYCOTT MADE IN CHINA

Sun Feb 13, 2005 3:35 pm
Profile WWW
Forum General

PinkPanther wrote:

You have to learn to be a bit stronger within yourself.

Also, whilst it is slang, faggot means a gay person, and you are gay, and i presume you have fucked before, so they are only being truthful.....not in the nicest way, but still, truthful :wink: lol

Thats the most ignorant thing I think I have ever heard on a message board

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:28 pm
College Boy Z

Thank you lowered expectations. I went in expecting absolute dreck, and what did I get? The best of the four horror movies I've seen this year easy (though being better then Hide and Seek, Alone in the Dark and White Noise doesn't exactly give you bragging rights). I really dug the crazy style the movie had going, the camera angles were like Evil Dead x5. Though there was definitely a tad too much build up, I actually didn't see why everyone thought the pay off was so awful. The movie's ending was infinitely better then White Noise, and actually made perfect sense and was very easily comprehensible. SPOILERSThe Boogeyman just looked like whatever scared him, everyone has there own boogeyman, I coudl buy that easy. Destroying what you fear is about the most logical thing I could've seen it being. And no, he did not look half as awful as everyone said. A lot of that might have just been that they kept him in the dark by and large, but he looked far better then the Bat Boy ghosts from White Noise. Barry Watson was way better then he had any right to be, though I got to admit he looked exactly like Boone from Lost. Then again, maybe the reason the movie was as entertaining for me as it was had to do with such incredibly bad WOM from everyone. Zing, how can you possibly give this a D and White Noise an A-? Sounds to me like you got the girl of your dreams the night you saw White Noise, and you two broke up the day you saw Boogeyman. ;) Anyways, Boogeyman gets a B/B- from me.

I gave White Noise a B-. :wink:

Oh, and White Noise is a masterpiece compared to Boogeyman (in my opinion). :razz:

Sun Feb 13, 2005 5:46 pm
Forum General

MovieDude wrote:

I gave White Noise a B-. :wink:

Oh, and White Noise is a masterpiece compared to Boogeyman (in my opinion). :razz:

Even though you liked white noise(I loathed it) did you still feel a bit....duped? I felt that way for white noise, hide and seek and boogey man....trailers made it seem alot more scary than the movie actually was

Sun Feb 13, 2005 6:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next