Register  |  Sign In
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 2:07 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 Deception (2008) 

What grade would you give this film?
A 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
B 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
C 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
D 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
F 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 4

Deception (2008) 
Extraordinary

Post Deception (2008)
Deception

Quote:
Deception is a 2008 drama/thriller film, directed by Marcel Langenegger and written by Mark Bomback. It stars Ewan McGregor, Hugh Jackman, and Michelle Williams. The film was released on April 25, 2008 in the United States.

American Hustle - B+
Inside Llewyn Davis - B
Before Midnight - A
12 Years a Slave - A-
The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - A-

My thoughts on box office

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:35 am
Profile WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Post Re: Deception (2008)
What a lifeless, slow, plodding, dull, dreary, mess of film. One would believe a film with such semi-reputable actors as McGregor and Jackman would be entertaining, or at the very least watchable. But first time director Langenegger decided to play it ubber safe and make an absurdly predictable, unsuspenseful film that only leaves the viewer feeling decieved for wasting their time watching this mess.

Grade D-

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Apr 25, 2008 6:53 pm
Motherfuckin' sexual

The Mr Pink wrote:
What a lifeless, slow, plodding, dull, dreary, mess of film. One would believe a film with such semi-reputable actors as McGregor and Jackman would be entertaining, or at the very least watchable. But first time director Langenegger decided to play it ubber safe and make an absurdly predictable, unsuspenseful film that only leaves the viewer feeling decieved for wasting their time watching this mess.

Grade D-

Wow, thanks for saving me some money. I was going to go see this because I love the two actors. Harold and Kumar maybe?

Fri Apr 25, 2008 8:40 pm
Profile YIM WWW
What would Jesus *not* do?

Diesel wrote:
The Mr Pink wrote:

Grade D-

Wow, thanks for saving me some money. I was going to go see this because I love the two actors. Harold and Kumar maybe?

H&K is worth paying for, if you're into saving money find a theatre showing both and sneak into one, make it a double feature. Also I'm brutally harsh on just about every film so you may want to wait for someone else to chime in before making up your mind.

1. Slumdog Millionaire
2. Wall-E
3. Dark Knight
4. In Bruges
5. Tropic Thunder
6. Young @ Heart
7. Mongol
8. The Band's Visit
9. Visitor
10. Iron Man

Fri Apr 25, 2008 10:48 pm
Extraordinary

deception

luckily I got to see this for free yesterday. I actually wanted to see babymamma but ended up picking this instead. Oh, what a mistake. I did like how the film began with the set of the sex club and Ewan and Hugh's characters. I can't say I was fond of Ewan's accent he was doing though. I thought Michelle Williams was extremely beautiful in this film. Again the whole introduction of the sex club was a fascinating idea to me. Now of course in the beginning we get all these plain as day set up clues that point to Hugh being a con artist. They didn't have to make so obvious in the beginning. I thought the film started to head downhill after William's character was "kidnapped" because as soon as she goes missing I'm already thinking either she did it to herself to keep him safe or she's in on something. Anyway, a lot of junk happens in between as I was getting more annoyed with the bad guy triumphing in the film when we finally to the ending or should I say Endings. Even though I probably would have hated how it ended; the film should have ended with Ewan's character dying and Hugh flying off to Spain to collect his millions. Instead the film goes on and on showing more info and that William's was in on the plot as they are both in spain but then we get a kind of twist when he needs a co-signer. It probably could have ended there too with the bad guy ending up with nothing but then Ewan's character appears alive and well and they proceed to get the money together. After that we get another ending when they are both in the park and Hugh is attempting to rob Ewan of his share when Hugh is shot and killed. Again, could have ended there with Ewan taking the full 20 million and running off with William's but it went on further still after that. Ugh. I was really disappointed with how the film just descended into a boring mess at the end.

grade - D

45TH PRESIDENT OF THE U.S.A. DONALD J. TRUMP
#MAGA #KAG!
10,000 post achieved on - Posted: Wed May 16, 2018 7:49 pm

Sat Apr 26, 2008 9:56 am
Pure Phase

As awful as critics say? No, but still very mediocre. What's good? Ewan, Hugh, and Michelle deliver decent performances (though they've all been far better in many other films) and the direction is stylish and atmospheric. What's wrong? Everything else, notably the script. It's drowning in predictable twists and turns and undeveloped, inconsistent characters. Also, the sex-club angle emphasized in the advertising isn't a very big part of the film after all - once the first act is through, it's abandoned and replaced with more run-of-the-mill corporate-greed themes (which can be provocative or at least engaging, but aren't here). DECEPTION (such a generic title) could have been so much better than it is.

C

[LOL! I better change my avatar. I was so excited for this movie. :disgust: ]

1. The Lost City of Z - 2. A Cure for Wellness - 3. Phantom Thread - 4. T2 Trainspotting - 5. Detroit - 6. Good Time - 7. The Beguiled - 8. The Florida Project - 9. Logan and 10. Molly's Game

Mon May 12, 2008 7:30 pm
Wallflower

DECEPTION - 7/10 (B-)

An entertaining, stylish thriller.

Sat Sep 20, 2008 6:05 pm
i break the rules, so i don't care

D

Waste of my time.

Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:47 am
College Boy Z